Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warm/Hot starting problem

Views : 3845

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 19:56   #1
nozmeister

Default Warm/Hot starting problem

Hi,

I've a 2006 V50 2.0D SE which I'm fairly happy with however it seems to have developed an intermittant fault when starting the engine up which is not fully cold.

If I run the car for a 10 miles or so and then stop, wait an hour or so and then come back to start the car it sometimes takes three to five attempts to start the engine. The engine is always warmed up and it can sometimes happen on 60 mile trip. There are no problems when the car is cold.

Is this EGR valve related? As the fault is intermittant I'm not sure if the garage are going to find this and I don't want to waste my time going there to be told the usual "No fault found".

Any clues appreciated...

Thanks
Noz
nozmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 20:03   #2
Multiplex

It could be a tricky one to nail this especially if the garage can not reproduce the fault. Try and give the garage as much information as possible as to when the fault occurs and how oftern it does it, ask to speak to the Master Tech directly about the fault.

It may be the EGR valve but it could be many other things aswell.

Hopefully the onboard diagnostics will have stored a code which should make fault tracing easier.

Keep us updated how you go on after it has been looked at.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 21:05   #3
Feathers69

Default V50 2.0d 57 plate

Ref my 57 plate V50 2.0 diesel.
I have got the exact same problem, starts perfect from cold, runs fine. Try restarting after say 10 or 15 minutes, and it just won't fire up. Have read various posts and everything seemed to be pointing to the Throttle body/housing which has a flap in it that can stick. Had that replaced today.....same problem occurred after about 15 minutes of driving.

Anyone any ideas?
Feathers69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 14:58   #4
usa2003husky

Same problem on my 55 V50. Only does it after long drives (so if the engine is hot) and I stop off somewhere for 15-20 mins then jump back in and start her up, just doesn't fire! Probably should add that if i pump the gas peddle whilst turning it over it seems to kick it into life, only just recently found this out.

Gradually getting worse, as it seems to be struggling to start ona morning more recently. New started motor fitted end of last year so I know its not that.

Any help greatly appreciated.
usa2003husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 15:10   #5
kebab10
Premier Member

I would certainly suspect the Throttle flap. Clean or replace. Do a search and hve a look for how to clean or replace.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 21:28   #6
cymroboi

hows about having a read of this post ??
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=77742

might be helpfull
cymroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 19:02   #7
nasif

Default hei

I have the same problem with a Volvo, a diesel engine, the engine starts on cool and hot, and does not start on warm. I changed the filters and oils and pumped the diesel, but it did not solve the problem. Tomorrow I will visit the Volvo center.
nasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 20:04   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

over tightening of the throttle body can cause problems. there is a mod which involves filing a small amount off the butterfly valve to stop it sticking. a live data scan with vida can check the duty cycle of the egr valve . as they can stick open or closed. replacement can be done. access is awkward with some fixings difficult to see.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote