Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking to possibly buy

Views : 995

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2014, 19:06   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default Looking to possibly buy

My daughter is looking to buy a V50 Diesel. Somewhere between 2006-2011.
What specificly should I look for which is known about on here.
Any years/engines better than others??

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 20:14   #2
100K+
Premier Member

....Bump...

No comments??? someone pls or does this mean

Totally avoid all models diesel and petrol and buy a Focus at least they are brave enough to say its a Ford??

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 17:32   #3
alexstanleyv50

Reply in hope you haven't gone to Ford!

the V50 is a sound choice (but I would say that!). Try to get an SE model with less than 100k on the clock. Check all the electrical equipment. I mean literally push every button and turn every knob.

Engine wise - 2.0l diesels everywhere but not sure on the DPF issues (have a look here for more info on diesel vs petrol).

As you can see its all about travelling distance. You don't want a D5 to nip to the shops, but would be perfect for long motorway blasts.

Personally I'v owned a 1.8 petrol which was a little gutless on power but did me fine with no major issues and was easy to work on, plus 33mpg on a semi-rural 20 mile commute.

I recon a 1.8 petrol V50 SE with les than 100K shouldn't cost more than say £4000 for a good specimen.

But if you're after seat of your pant power then T5's the way to go :-)

2004 V50 T5 SE 6 Speed Manual The Death Star...
2009 S40 2.0i R-Design 5 Speed Manual The Flash Car...
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:32   #4
Loskie

I think the 2.0 without dpf were built at latest end of june 09.
I don't think 100000m is key for anything it is about how well it has been looked after. Not just stamps in a book but a wad of invoices and a knowledgeable owner. Go on condition not mileage.
Do not be afraid to contact previous owners if buying from a garage. details may be on the registration doc or the handbook within.
mine was new in July 09 now has 102000m all in my ownership. A few niggles sorted under warranty in the first 18m of life. Since then fairly straight forward maintenance. I have nnoticed tha alloys bubbling quite a lot lately. The rest of the body work is quite resilient.
Loskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 23:56   #5
The Thong
VOC Member

Ok, I've just had an 06 2ltr Diesel V50 SE.

Look out for,

Poor starting from cold or when the engines up to running temperature. It'll start but there's no throttle response and lots of smoke. Most likely throttle body, seems to be a common issue. The throttle body is a sinch to change, it's about half hour job inc tea break.

Clutch, make sure it's ok. They're expensive to replace.

I believe the Euro 4 is pre-DPF but I'd check with Volvo before you buy.

Check the front lower arms are ok, they're another expensive replacement, roughly about £380 at the dealers.

If you go for the Later ones with a DPF, I believe they have to be replaced at 75k and it a big bill too.

I'm getting 50+ MPG on a run with mine plus it being an SE model it's quite nice to drive (I say quite nice, my last car was an S60 and it was Uber comfortable)

Hope this helps.

TT
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 10:00   #6
clarinbarry

i've a 2010 v50 that i got a month ago loving it so far herself loves it too.

It came with a full history from a lease company so the DPF and ECU and steering linkage had all been replaced by volvo so I took a bit of assurance in that.

Although the mileage might be a bit higher I firmly believe ex lease is the way to go they've generally been well looked after the history on my car includes bulbs tyres and wipers!
clarinbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarinbarry For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 17:58   #7
Diego67

I've had my v50 sport 2.0d 2 months now, bought with 142000 miles on full history.ive done 5000 initial already and just done a round trip to france 2000 miles returned 53mpg,nice cars well built,it's all luck on older high mileage cars just buy carefully. Last car I had was a02 golf gt TDI with 155000 did 23000 miles in a year sold it with173000 and zero probs,
Diego67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 14:20   #8
7050man
Master Member

Hi there, early 2.0D had issues. Later with DPF must have full Volvo history and ensure that DPF has also had proper service, i.e. additive top up and filter changed, especially if car is used locally.
2.0D automatics do not have DPF that requires additive as I understand. Apart from early cars having door loom issues, throttle body, squeaky creaking seats and EGR problems, only other problem is DPF pressure differential sensor failing due to moisture. This results in max of 28k revs with reduced power. easy to fix though by changing sensor, and can be done yourself.

If you want a diesel, then Drive 1.6 is the best. I still have mine (16v and not the later 8v, currently with 108k on clock) and it has been much more reliable than my 55 plate 2.0D. Economy is streets ahead of 2.0d and will pull and drive well too. Newer 8v Drives' are even better, but make sure car has had all software updates as early ones did not idle well and economy was poor until software fixed these issues.

If you want power then D5 is the one. But economy, tax and tyres will be a cost.

Finally, always make sure car has proper Volvo history. If you buy from Volvo they can check this on system. Back street garages will invariably not fully service DPF system.

High Mileage is not a problem, but remember that on Deisels, the timing belt is changed at 140/150k.

By and large the cars are bombproof and should not have any rattles at well over 100k.

Apart from that the usual checks that are done on any second hand car.

Good luck.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote