Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre's, what is acceptable?

Views : 1652

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2020, 11:51   #1
Mick787

Default Tyre's, what is acceptable?

At this very moment, here in the UK, there is a single alloy wheel being offered for sale on a well known internet auction site. The listing says the tyre and alloy are brand new. The images show the label is still present on the tyre.

I've put a couple of questions to the seller, one of them being what is the production date of the tyre? I've received an answer. As a result of that, I would be buying just the rim, I would not fit that tyre to my car. Despite the label being on the tyre, I do not consider that tyre to be 'brand new'.

Recently I scrapped two tyres on my XC60, they were 5 years of age but still had plenty of tread left. The other two were the same age but wear was an issue. I decided to change the original fit Pirelli's to Cross Climates all round. Yes, I could have bought two more Pirellis of the same type, it would have been cheaper but I wanted all season capability rather than having two complete sets of rims, (or not bothering).

In my past life I've been involved with so many incidents which were caused by tyres, some causing loss of life. Tyres do deteriorate, some show problems on the inside but not on the outside. Perhaps this explains my reasoning.

The object of the post, what do you class as being acceptable for tyre life, have you ever considered age alone as a factor for changing a tyre? Have you ever looked at the date stamp on a tyre?

UPDATE.... The listing has ended. I do hope whoever may have bought it realises.

Last edited by Mick787; Dec 11th, 2020 at 11:57.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick787 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 12:29   #2
MacV50
Master Member

I agree I'd be looking to change tyres that are 5+ years old regardless of wear.

So many people are unaware of the manufacture date on tyres and many must be duped into buying old stock at cheap prices.
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 12:34   #3
Deck1ng
Master Member

I recently purchased two tyres from that well known internet sales site. I did demand to know the manufacture dates of both. One was 11/19 the other 01/19. I was happy to go along with the purchase. From on old friend who spent his whole working life working for Michelin( following 12 years in HMForces), he advised me that the shelf life of his tyres was around 4 years, to buy nothing older. I suppose it’s one question never asked when you go into a tyre house, how old are the tyres? As you would think that they should have a steady and continuous turnover. Therefore always having reasonably new stock.
But in answer to your question, if I had tyres of 6/7years and older I’d be asking if they where safe to use or not irrespective of tread left.
For sure tyres deterate with time, cracks appear in the rubber and they dry out etc.

Last edited by Deck1ng; Dec 11th, 2020 at 14:44.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 12:53   #4
Deck1ng
Master Member

Found a quote from the European Tyre and Rim Organisation that states that most manufactures and organisation consider tyres as new, upto 5-6 years from their date of manufacture.
Please ignore this post, I have quoted out of context.

Last edited by Deck1ng; Dec 11th, 2020 at 13:05.
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 15:54   #5
Mick787

Deck1ng, so I can't help wonder if they are saying its ok to buy a tyre which is 5/6 years old and then expect it to last how long? The comment about Michelin's 4 year shelf life is more plausible.

We recently bought a small used second car, 7 years old from a second hand car dealership. It had done very low mileage. All the Bridgestones were 7 years old and were obviously original fit and suffering many cracks. I had it re shod.

The guy selling this rim and tyre on the 'net, said it had been on a display stand in a show room and would be fine despite being over 6 years old. No thank you!
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 16:06   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It all depends on how the tyres were stored. If they are in a reasonable temperature, not fitted to a rim and not in the sun or rain then I wouldn't have an issue fitting a tyre that was up to say 4-5 years old. But if it has been on a car for that long, kept outside, I wouldn't go near it even if it had only done 100 miles.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 16:52   #7
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
Deck1ng, so I can't help wonder if they are saying its ok to buy a tyre which is 5/6 years old and then expect it to last how long? The comment about Michelin's 4 year shelf life is more plausible.

We recently bought a small used second car, 7 years old from a second hand car dealership. It had done very low mileage. All the Bridgestones were 7 years old and were obviously original fit and suffering many cracks. I had it re shod.

The guy selling this rim and tyre on the 'net, said it had been on a display stand in a show room and would be fine despite being over 6 years old. No thank you!
I realised I had made two statements that could be misleading and did try to have the comment above deleted, so, to try and clarify,
Providing the tyre had been stored correctly in every single way, a shelf life of 4 years is okay, fit and use.
The European Tyre and Rim Orgnisation consider a tyres life starts from date of manufacture and is good for 6 years.
Of course there will always be the odd exception and there will always be someone who has had a tyre for 10 years and still as good as new.

Last edited by Deck1ng; Dec 11th, 2020 at 16:57.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 20:35   #8
HDAV
Master Member

If you are going to worry about tyres I would be far more worried about the sales of “part worn” tyres than those of unworn units....... stored correctly they should have just as good a “life” in use as those fresh from the factory.......

Thousands of “used” tyres are fitted every day a mate recently bought a transit the tyres are older than the van 🙈🙈🙈 significantly ...

Plenty of cheap people out there prepared to buy whatever is cheapest

Last edited by HDAV; Dec 12th, 2020 at 20:38.
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 20:48   #9
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
If you are going to worry about tyres I would be far more worried about the sales of “part worn” tyres than those of unworn units....... stored correctly they should have just as good a “life” in use as those fresh from the factory.......

Thousands of “used” tyres are fitted every day a mate recently bought a transit the tyres are older than the van 🙈🙈🙈 significantly ...

Plenty of cheap people out there prepared to buy whatever is cheapest
Why are part worn tyres a particular issue?

All of our cars were fitted with part worns.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 21:26   #10
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Why are part worn tyres a particular issue?

All of our cars were fitted with part worns.
While many sellers claim they are from the continent etc where they change them at 5mm etc not necessarily the case many are removed from crashed vehicles are stored outside subject to UV degradation can have unseen damage and issues do you inspect the tyres prior to fitting?

But a brand new budget vs a part worn premium tyre is a tricky one. If it passes an mot it must fine right 🤷*♂️
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote