Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre's, what is acceptable?

Views : 1649

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2020, 10:30   #21
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60RDesign View Post
It seems most 'normal' drivers (people that don't like driving but do it to get from A to B) don't care about tyres, they usually buy the cheapest and often replace one corner at a time just to pass an MOT. They don't care if they're mismatched and a lot of dealers don't either. For me the tyres have to all match and be a well respected make, they usually need replacing within 18 months to 2 years so don't need to worry about age. I'm running Michelin Cross Climate + on the S60 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric on the Mini Cooper S Coupe (which was really bought for summer fun), nit cheap but I buy the best I can afford
Indeed, lest I be lumped in with this, I have Rainsports all round on the S60, Pilotsport 4s all round on the C70, and Hankook Kinergy 4S all round - fitted only yesterday, as it happens - on the XC70.

Each is right for its specific purpose.

...but also I happily fitted a pair of part worn rears to a 996 a number of years ago, from a supplier extensively used by Porsche Dealers for that purpose, too, and recommended to me on that basis.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 15:55   #22
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I come back to part worn tyres are fine in principle, it should be a safe option, but much of the dealers in the UK do not comply with the law.

If you buy a part worn tyre that has not been indelibly marked as such, you have bought an illegal one and hence you run a higher risk of problems.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 17:44   #23
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile tyre theory

I would say stick to same brand/ tread wear on the same axle (so to speak ie front or back) if you have to go with cheaper less well known tyres put them on the back end ..

Part worn tyres are ok, if you have an experienced tyre fitter fitting them and taking a look at them for potential danger signs like any kind of damage to the sidewall.. interestingly i know a place that imports part worns from Germany where i beleive if a car dealer sells a used car they have to fit new tyres irrespective of the state of them, hence plenty of part worns..no idea if this is gospel but thats what they said ! Im sure people who dont care about what tyres are on their car wont be reading this forum anyway.. 😁
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 19:01   #24
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I come back to part worn tyres are fine in principle, it should be a safe option, but much of the dealers in the UK do not comply with the law.

If you buy a part worn tyre that has not been indelibly marked as such, you have bought an illegal one and hence you run a higher risk of problems.
Yes, indeed. Somebody this morning was saying much the same thing.

And yet when fitted to a car and therefore uncheckable to a large extent, all's good, and unregulated.
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 19:04   #25
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
I would say stick to same brand/ tread wear on the same axle (so to speak ie front or back) if you have to go with cheaper less well known tyres put them on the back end ..
Is exactly the wrong way round, I believe. More grip at the rear, less at the front is the maxim (assuming that the respective brands equate that way)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post: