Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Top engine mount

Views : 1337

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2014, 16:22   #1
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Default Top engine mount

Along with a load of other costly repairs I have just had the top engine mount done, as the garage said it needed doing when investigating the top mount noise that was supposedly fixed by them recently. It obviously didn't as the noise is still present.

Long story short, the nearside front noise is still there but now there is a low rumbley noise that is noticeable on starting and running the car and associated with a vibration that really fills your head and is v unpleasant, there also seems to be a slight over run when turning the ignition off. The noise is also quite boomy when driving at motorway speed esp 2500-2900 rpm.

Its only noticeable since the top mount was changed so could it be something to do with the vacuum mount? The black pipe that runs vertically up across the cylinder head under the engine cover is soft-should it be?

Any ideas what the problem is apart from the whole damn car?

Last edited by bobdabuilda; Mar 31st, 2014 at 18:16.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 22:55   #2
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Along with a load of other costly repairs I have just had the top engine mount done, as the garage said it needed doing when investigating the top mount noise that was supposedly fixed by them recently. It obviously didn't as the noise is still present.

Long story short, the nearside front noise is still there but now there is a low rumbley noise that is noticeable on starting and running the car and associated with a vibration that really fills your head and is v unpleasant, there also seems to be a slight over run when turning the ignition off. The noise is also quite boomy when driving at motorway speed esp 2500-2900 rpm.

Its only noticeable since the top mount was changed so could it be something to do with the vacuum mount? The black pipe that runs vertically up across the cylinder head under the engine cover is soft-should it be?

Any ideas what the problem is apart from the whole damn car?
Make sure the engine cover is clipped properly back in place, all the lugs seated properly, as you would be surprised how loud it is if its not.

maybe an easy one hopefully ...
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 23:10   #3
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Was the first thing I checked.....if only it were that simple! Thanks
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 06:56   #4
JohnL

Make sure that when the big bolt that goes thru the engine mount and tightened up, is not loading the cross bar tube. There are some big slots in the bracket.
Make sure that the little black pipe from the vacuum pump is not touching anything except the engine.
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnL For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 07:52   #5
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

I'll have to post a pic, sorry what crossbar tube and which little black pipe?
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 13:09   #6
laundryman
The Engineer

Its only noticeable since the top mount was changed so could it be something to do with the vacuum mount (S)? The black pipe that runs vertically up across the cylinder head under the engine cover is soft-should it be?

There are two vac mounts, front & back There is a vacuum release solenoid just behind the near side headlight. ( Trace the pipe back from the front mount ) This opens at about 1600 RPM to dump the vacuum. The pipe then goes back to the vac pump and rear mount. Lots of guides to check these on the forum.
When replacing the top engine and bottom anti torque rubber mounts with pattern parts was not succesful as the rubber was much harder. Went back to OEM parts. Last engine mount is just under pulley drive end of motor.
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 08:01   #7
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

I can't see any pipe going to the top mount at all, is it tucked away at the back or underneath, it's a d5 185 engine?
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 09:09   #8
laundryman
The Engineer

Vac pipe comes from vac pump on end of engine (rhs if stood at front of car) it then splits and one pipe goes down the back of engine to rear engine mount. Front pipe goes to vac dump solenoid then to front lower engine mount. If the pipe is split or solenoid blocked/ not working , then you will get engine vibration. Pipe is normally routed to RHs of engine (if stood at front) On older engines the vac stystem is also used to alter the vane angle in the turbo, later engines have small motor doing this. Top mount is just one element of engine stability/anti vib system. There are two or three existing threds on this topic on the forum
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laundryman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 19:09   #9
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Replaced the top mount on my XC90, all though the top mount allows movement mine was excessive.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...p+engine+mount

Had problems with the vacuum system too. Check out these threads, plenty of info and pics.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=vacuum+system
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=vacuum+system
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 22:26   #10
dstc

Default check the A mount on the O/S/F accessible via wheel arch

Is it a rumbling deep resonating vibration coming from all around you? Our 53 plate D5 did that when we got it a while ago. The top boys on this very forum helped identify the engine mounts had failed. I changed the top mount, torque rod and the A mount on the driver's side. The engine rubs against the chassis/subframe and makes an awful sound.

Anywho. Jack up your car. Remove the O/S/F wheel. Undo a plastic nut. Fold back the plastic cover. You'll find the mount which bolts to the block and the chassis. If the rubber has failed you'll need to jack up the engine to remove the broken mount and refit the new one. I released the top mount to avoid stressing the rubber inside.
dstc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dstc For This Useful Post: