Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stranger Clutch Things

Views : 601

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2019, 11:26   #1
rockaholic

Unhappy Stranger Clutch Things

Hi,

I am having rather strange issues with my clutch (or is it something else?)... I'll try to describe what is going on as best as I can. Maybe someone will have some insight on where I should start digging. The car is 1997 940 manual wagon 2.3 LPT with boost pressure set to 0.8ish.

The whole clutch assembly was replaced around 2500km ago due to wear and slipping. The car now has 440,000km on the odo. And now in the last few hundred kilometers it developed this on-off behavior. Under hard acceleration in lower gears (1-3) it starts slipping when the turbo builds pressure. The RPMs kinda jump by say 500 and then the speed follows and it evens out.

The most odd thing happens in 4th and 5th if I put the pedal to the metal. It starts accelerating, then the turbo pressure builds, the clutch starts slipping and then you get this *BANG. The car hiccups loudly for a second and runs well after. Feels like the clutch engages fully, but very suddenly and aggressively. And after that, if you don't touch the clutch pedal, it seems to be engaged well and does not slip up to the next shift. At first I thought it was something to do with ignition, fuel-cut or knock, but the I noticed the connection with clutch slip and jumping RPMs.

Those 2500km ago, when I was looking for the clutch kit, the people at the parts store told me that they see two different release bearing codes suited to the car by VIN and model. But one of them was unavailable at that moment, so I bought the one that was in stock (Sachs kit, if I remember well). I told this to the mechanic who installed the kit. He said it was a good fit, so I assumed I got the right one. But maybe I didn't? But then why this did not appear in the first 2500km?

Any ideas on what could this be?
rockaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 19:26   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It is a bit of an odd one.

The release bearing will not be the problem

It could be the clutch hydrolics sticking

It could be a problem with the springs in the clutch cover

Or it could be a problem with the DMF failing
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 12:37   #3
mhuk

I'd go with...

It could be a problem with the springs in the clutch cover.

My clutch would slip but when replaced it was bad springs.
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 15:49   #4
brutusmotorsport

Default clutch

sounds to me as if your clutch plate is not releasing properly. does the clutch peddle come all the way up everytime?
brutusmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brutusmotorsport For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 16:08   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic View Post
Hi,

I am having rather strange issues with my clutch (or is it something else?)... I'll try to describe what is going on as best as I can. Maybe someone will have some insight on where I should start digging. The car is 1997 940 manual wagon 2.3 LPT with boost pressure set to 0.8ish.

The whole clutch assembly was replaced around 2500km ago due to wear and slipping. The car now has 440,000km on the odo. And now in the last few hundred kilometers it developed this on-off behavior. Under hard acceleration in lower gears (1-3) it starts slipping when the turbo builds pressure. The RPMs kinda jump by say 500 and then the speed follows and it evens out.

The most odd thing happens in 4th and 5th if I put the pedal to the metal. It starts accelerating, then the turbo pressure builds, the clutch starts slipping and then you get this *BANG. The car hiccups loudly for a second and runs well after. Feels like the clutch engages fully, but very suddenly and aggressively. And after that, if you don't touch the clutch pedal, it seems to be engaged well and does not slip up to the next shift. At first I thought it was something to do with ignition, fuel-cut or knock, but the I noticed the connection with clutch slip and jumping RPMs.

Those 2500km ago, when I was looking for the clutch kit, the people at the parts store told me that they see two different release bearing codes suited to the car by VIN and model. But one of them was unavailable at that moment, so I bought the one that was in stock (Sachs kit, if I remember well). I told this to the mechanic who installed the kit. He said it was a good fit, so I assumed I got the right one. But maybe I didn't? But then why this did not appear in the first 2500km?

Any ideas on what could this be?
Best get a volvo clutch fitted in there , I have lost count how many 940s i used to come across with problems after fitting a non volvo clutch ... Something is sticking , maybe the pressure plate ....
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 20:40   #6
rockaholic

Your input is much appreciated.

The pedal seems to be coming back up to normal position. So I guess way forward would be to investigate the hydraulics, see if I have full range of motion at the slave cylinder and if there is no luck, I'm gonna need to get the tranny removed and inspect the clutch assembly itself.

Do you really think that Sachs and other brand kits are ****e and could be the cause of this? Might have to look into original Volvo ones. The generic kit was cheaper, but there's a Lithuanian saying - cheapskates pay twice.
rockaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rockaholic For This Useful Post: