Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cold starting

Views : 1314

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2019, 14:36   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
Just established that there is no spark at the plugs whilst cranking a short time but comes on after a while and starts, it's starting to narrow what could be at fault, what tells the plugs to start firing?
Steve
The ignition ECU establishes the sparks as soon as it gets signals from the flywheel sensor . It then initiates the Fuel ECU if all is ok '
I would suspect the flywheel sensor at the moment , the lead can deteriorate near the sensor after 20 years or so ...
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 19:21   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
Just established that there is no spark at the plugs whilst cranking a short time but comes on after a while and starts, it's starting to narrow what could be at fault, what tells the plugs to start firing?
Steve
The CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor - mounted on top of the bell housing) tells the plugs to start firing - BUT - as Tony pointed out above, the way the ignition system is set up on the later cars, it takes at least 2 turns of the crankshaft before it generates a spark.
This also prevents the fuel pump running but that is over-ridden by the starter signal to the fuel ECU which switches the pump on while cranking.

In other words, if your car is turning the engine over twice before it fires, that's normal on a late one.

Might be worth checking the condition of the cables to the CPS though, they're exposed to a lot of heat at the back of the engine bay and tend to go brittle with age. Could be giving a problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 21:53   #13
TonyS9
Premier Member

Yes so it sparks eventually, that is normal, but if its still not starting when sparks are going then either the spark is not getting to the plug or there is not enough fuel.

It can seem like an age for TDC to come up, and it will vary from 1 turn of the crank to next to nothing. BTW the hunting you get from the starter is just starter revolutions, its much lower geared, maybe needs something like 50 turns to 1 crank turn.

I think it should start the pump when the crank is turning, but it may not start the injectors until the ignition is fired (After TDC detected), not sure.

Anyway doesn't definitely sound like you have a real fault. Just maybe thicker oil and long 940 starting more noticeable.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 22:10   #14
bob12
bob12

Flip the coin .... as has been well noted here over many years I just love cold weather starting.

My '90 745 with LH2.4/EKZ116 which is very temperamental starting on warm days or when left for 20 mins after driving (although I have the knack of starting it quickly) is currently starting 'on the button'. In fact it doesn't noticeably even turn over ... it just starts/fires-up after a second or so of turning the key!!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 02:37   #15
TonyS9
Premier Member

Does the 740 not use hall triggering on the cam/disti? Hall triggers are typically 4 per revolution, which with 1/2 crank speed should be twice as fast as crank trigger 1 per revolution?
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 09:31   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Does the 740 not use hall triggering on the cam/disti? Hall triggers are typically 4 per revolution, which with 1/2 crank speed should be twice as fast as crank trigger 1 per revolution?
Depends when it was made. Early ones had the block mounted dizzy with Hall Effect trigger, later models had the cam mounted dizzy with the CPS in the top of the bell housing.
With Bobs being a 1990, it has the later system.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 10:00   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Flip the coin .... as has been well noted here over many years I just love cold weather starting.

My '90 745 with LH2.4/EKZ116 which is very temperamental starting on warm days or when left for 20 mins after driving (although I have the knack of starting it quickly) is currently starting 'on the button'. In fact it doesn't noticeably even turn over ... it just starts/fires-up after a second or so of turning the key!!

Bob
Check your fuel pressure at rest , it should hold 3 bar for 20 minutes that is the volvo specification , if it leaks away that will be your problem , the heat from the engine vaporises the fuel in the line if there is no rest pressure ... It is starting on the button now as it is cold weather now so the heat rapidly vanishes when you turn off .
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 19:19   #18
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Check your fuel pressure at rest , it should hold 3 bar for 20 minutes that is the volvo specification , if it leaks away that will be your problem , the heat from the engine vaporises the fuel in the line if there is no rest pressure ... It is starting on the button now as it is cold weather now so the heat rapidly vanishes when you turn off .
Thanks Clan - when the Summer comes I shall re-visit fuel pressure at the rail/valve and lines .... again!!! Bob
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 21:07   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Thanks Clan - when the Summer comes I shall re-visit fuel pressure at the rail/valve and lines .... again!!! Bob
it will either be leaking back through the one way valve in the end of the pump or less likely through the pressure control valve on the fuel rail back to the tank ..
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 22:05   #20
bob12
bob12

Thanks again .... well, I replaced the pv on the rail years ago to no effect ..... BUT I have never thought of or considered the/a valve at the pump in the cradle slung underneath! Got a spare one of those!! Thanks ... Summertime awaits. Bob