Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wing mirror - spontaneous combustion

Views : 1640

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2019, 20:48   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Oh .. it's the way I tell 'em Dave! Currently, I don't have time to analyse post content!!

Bob
It was just how you phrased it Bob and my warped sense of humour deliberately "misunderstanding" it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 21:49   #22
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It was just how you phrased it Bob and my warped sense of humour deliberately "misunderstanding" it!
Realised that Dave ... just wanted to 'egg' you into a response although totally agree with your analysis of my words. You never disappointed me ..... Bxx
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 00:50   #23
Forrest
VOC Member

Mine is the newer type where it is almost impossible to remove the glass without breaking it. Not that it matters in this instance. What I have on order is a pattern glass (£20) and motor (£10) since I don’t want to dip into my small stock of good secondhand Volvo spares for a car which is on 270k miles and which I am seriously considering replacing soon. I’m changing the motor as well since the glass flapped around a lot prior to this incident.

The mirror housing is not actually original but is from a later car and resprayed matt black. The original broke many years ago. What I discovered back then was that it is possible to remove the glass but it involves lots of careful prying and wedging the plastic clips which can only practically be done with the whole mirror assembly removed from the car. A friend in the motor trade later told me that the “secret” is to warm the thing up with a heat gun and then the clips are more inclined to yield.

I think there was a period during which Volvo used mirror housings that had the hole underneath but used the newer style motor and glass. It makes me wonder whether the old and new motors might be interchangeable. Just a thought.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 08:35   #24
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Dave will a passenger side mirror 1988 760 turbo be the same as 940 or your 760? I have one in my garage I was keeping for the 940 as a spare but if it is different then I don't see the point.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 09:56   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Dave will a passenger side mirror 1988 760 turbo be the same as 940 or your 760? I have one in my garage I was keeping for the 940 as a spare but if it is different then I don't see the point.
If it's from a facelift 760 turbo Luke then yes, if not then probably not, seem to recall the previous ones used 740 mirrors which were slightly different although i believe the motors and mirror glasses were the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post

I think there was a period during which Volvo used mirror housings that had the hole underneath but used the newer style motor and glass. It makes me wonder whether the old and new motors might be interchangeable. Just a thought.
I think the hole in the bottom stayed as a drain hole throughout. Might be wrong though.

As for the motors, it's possible to retrofit the later motors to early housings as they use the same mounting points, be careful when you fit your new one, there should be an arrow point up on it. Would be a wise move to check the operation of the motor before fitting the glass and along the lines of what your friend suggested with the heat gun, leave the mirror glass somewhere warm until the last minute before you fit it so the clips pop into position easier on the motor.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 23:31   #26
Forrest
VOC Member

Default Mystery solved

The parts came today and since it is a dangerous pain driving without an offside mirror I decided the job qualified for that most traditional of classic car repair methods - doing it in the dark and rain after work.

I discovered quickly that the glass was actually missing altogether. It seems it’s another case of Volvo using a glue that doesn’t last the distance. This also explains why the mirror had started wobbling a lot. It wasn’t the motor broken but instead the glass parting company with its backing. This thread on a US Volvo site suggests it’s quite common there. The OP, like me, also seems originally to have thought combustion was involved. I think this is because the departing mirror leaves remnants of its printing in the black glue and looks burnt.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...f-mirror-glass

My spare parts seemed good quality. See the first two attached pictures.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-199...t/282260347637

I think this mirror glass compares favourably to others on eBay in that it looks more nearly OEM.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S70...n/262745787992

The third picture is just there to show how on a cold night, with minimal care, it is possible to remove the new style mirror with all the clips intact in under a minute. This is only doable if the mirror is already a write-off!

I probably didn’t need to replace the motor in the end because the upheaval of removing the mirror backing caused it to start working again. However, I thought it was worth doing anyway. The new motor has a strange anomaly whereby up and down work correctly but left and right are reversed. If it had not been cold and wet I might have investigated this further but under the circumstances I decided to accept this as the new normal. It seems strange because the three pin connector is keyed and will only go in one way and it is not possible to reverse the motor left/right without fitting it upside down which would also be near impossible given the position of the three screws. Besides, up and down work correctly. I guess I could swap pins at the switch to correct this if I really wanted to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A75CE0F9-70B6-4D09-828C-3B740EA277E3.jpg (44.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg B872BA4D-E23D-4560-B2D0-6EBA58B9B22F.jpg (34.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 36BF5C00-C135-44EF-82DB-3061E14EA416.jpg (45.4 KB, 19 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 23:48   #27
Forrest
VOC Member

Default Motor left/right reversed

The non-OEM motor is different.

The first picture shows the connections inside the original Volvo motor I removed.

The second picture is from the eBay listing of the replacement. Polarity is clearly reversed on one of the servos.

Glad I didn’t investigate too deeply earlier. That would have been a pain to try to change.

Caveat emptor!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54976EE2-6450-4045-ADE6-C0434D5BCA96.jpg (51.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg 8DA6CEFE-AED2-484E-82DE-69D13D11256F.jpeg (78.7 KB, 10 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 01:19   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
The non-OEM motor is different.

The first picture shows the connections inside the original Volvo motor I removed.

The second picture is from the eBay listing of the replacement. Polarity is clearly reversed on one of the servos.

Glad I didn’t investigate too deeply earlier. That would have been a pain to try to change.

Caveat emptor!
That's a pain in the undercarriage!

Trouble is, if you reverse the connections at the switch to correct the up/down, you'll also reverse the polarity of the centre connection so the left/right either won't work or will be reversed.

I'm guessing you've fitted the motor now so unless you're prepared to pull it out, you'll have to live with it. However, if you were to cut the connection between the middle contact and the left hand pin on the motor (as viewed in your pic), desoler the right hand connection and move it to the left, use the little piece of connector from the left hand and a piece of insulated wire to link it (now on the right hand motor connection) to the centre connector, that should (in theory from what i can see) fix things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 07:40   #29
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If it's from a facelift 760 turbo Luke then yes, if not then probably not, seem to recall the previous ones used 740 mirrors which were slightly different although i believe the motors and mirror glasses were the same.
It was a facelift, front end was the same as a 940.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 10:24   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
It was a facelift, front end was the same as a 940.
As far as i know then Luke, it should fit the Mk1 940 without any problems. I don't suppose you saved the headlamps from the 760 did you?