Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just hit the 30K mark..

Views : 1752

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2019, 09:31   #11
Haldex
Premier Member

@Quacker: Interestingly, I've seen many owners here and on swedespeed reporting premature wear with factory-fit Pirelli 20/21/22".. I think it's size-related, rather than tire make related..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 20:23   #12
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I remember the days when Pirelli was a premium tyre that was generally considered to be the grippiest of all the big brands.

Because of this I put a set of their runflats on my last car (520D), however, they wore out shockingly quickly - to the point that I won't be buying them for any other car in the future. Interestingly, when I went to the tyre shop they asked me why I'd put Pirelli on it last time as, in their opinion, they're cr4p - not quite what I'd expected to hear, but certainly aligned with my view of them.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 07:29   #13
dchbrown

Mine went past 20K on the way down to our holiday in France yesterday, and apart from its service and a recall for the GPS has been faultless.

It has gone through 2 full tanks of adblue though and I didn’t expect to have to fill that every 10K miles.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 07:43   #14
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
I remember the days when Pirelli was a premium tyre that was generally considered to be the grippiest of all the big brands.

Because of this I put a set of their runflats on my last car (520D), however, they wore out shockingly quickly - to the point that I won't be buying them for any other car in the future. Interestingly, when I went to the tyre shop they asked me why I'd put Pirelli on it last time as, in their opinion, they're cr4p - not quite what I'd expected to hear, but certainly aligned with my view of them.
Out of interest we’re they grippy? I’m not saying they are any good but it makes sense to me that the most grippy tyre would be the one that wears the quickest as the friction with the road will be the highest.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 20:54   #15
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
Out of interest we’re they grippy? I’m not saying they are any good but it makes sense to me that the most grippy tyre would be the one that wears the quickest as the friction with the road will be the highest.
That was certainly the logic I used to believe, especially when Goodyear first launched their green tyre about 15 or so years ago, but I was told that that's not right - sorry, don't know the detail behind why though.

In answer to your question - no, I didn't find them any grippier than the Michelins that had come off, plus their grip level reduced significantly with very little wear as well. Each to their own, but it's not a brand that I'd ever go back to....a bit like BMW to be fair.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 00:34   #16
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post

The trippier the tyre, the softer the compound tends to be, therefore they wear out faster. My Audi on premium tyres of three top brands wore out every 10 to 12k miles. I put cheap Korean tyres on it, Maxxis Morauder being the best of a bad bunch as I recall, and they costed half as much but lasted twice as long.

Two issues with them though. While they cost about a quarter as much per mile to run, after ten thousand miles you prayed that they would wear out soon, they became that noisy. Like a flying drone in the cabin all the time.
Then they were hellish skittish over manholes on corners and similar. Nothing like the grip of premium tyres.