Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 remap options

Views : 1015

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2019, 14:09   #1
bunnysquasher
3rd Volvo and counting

Default V50 remap options

Hello,

It's been a while since my last post but after 9 years of service from my MTE mapped ph1 v70, I have had to replace her with a 2006 model year V50 T5.

I believe my new V50 is running the 2.5 T5 (B5254T3) engine and it's feeling a little slow in comparison! Therefore I am looking for a stage 1 remap for it.

It seems like MTE is no longer an option, but sharkperformance? celtictuning? rica? any others?

Is this a bad idea without any supporting mods eg the block strengthening modification?

I'd be really interested to hear of any experiences with the above or any other options worth exploring.

Thanks in advance
bunnysquasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 14:14   #2
iainmd

Shark went bust IIRC so that option's probably our. BSR do a remap as well. I've no experience of any of them but the engine block will take a stage 1 remap without bother.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 14:28   #3
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I'm pretty sure Don @ Kalmar Union still provides MTE maps for the T5?

Worth giving him a ping to see.

Celtic Tuning - Proceed at your own risk, they claim silly unrealistic figures on these engines (and most others to be honest) and have been known to bodge a fair few installs on cars (google reveals all). However, a few on here have used them and are happy.

Shark - Went bust

BSR/RICA - OK but they're generic 'off the shelf' maps.

Personally I'd go with MTE still if you can.

Cylinder liners can split at any age/mileage. Many have run 300bhp+ for years with no issues, some have gone in standard form - Personally I'd get it done at stage 2, stage 1 should be fine. Always warm up/cool off etc before driving hard or turning the car off.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 14:37   #4
bunnysquasher
3rd Volvo and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
I'm pretty sure Don @ Kalmar Union still provides MTE maps for the T5?

Worth giving him a ping to see.

Celtic Tuning - Proceed at your own risk, they claim silly unrealistic figures on these engines (and most others to be honest) and have been known to bodge a fair few installs on cars (google reveals all). However, a few on here have used them and are happy.

Shark - Went bust

BSR/RICA - OK but they're generic 'off the shelf' maps.

Personally I'd go with MTE still if you can.

Cylinder liners can split at any age/mileage. Many have run 300bhp+ for years with no issues, some have gone in standard form - Personally I'd get it done at stage 2, stage 1 should be fine. Always warm up/cool off etc before driving hard or turning the car off.
Thanks for the reply, I tried Don first as it was perfect last time. He said that he can no longer offer the software. :-(

I guess that leaves BSR / RICA I seem to remember RICA being a bit urm.. generous with their numbers last time I looked into it.

I'm not after numbers, just whatever can be sensibly achieved with a stock car.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 14:40   #5
bunnysquasher
3rd Volvo and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Shark went bust IIRC so that option's probably our. BSR do a remap as well. I've no experience of any of them but the engine block will take a stage 1 remap without bother.
doh! it feels like there are less options now / less people with this engine tuned? although I may just be out of the loop I guess.

Thanks for the reassurance about a stage 1, just need to find the right place now.

Cheers!
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 14:48   #6
FunkyMelon
Master Member

It's bloody annoying since this engine is heavily modified/extremely well known amongst the ST community and they're in no short supply of mappers/engine builders/modification suppliers etc.

Our T5's are just Focus ST's in a frock and essentially the same car.

Just Volvo making bad choices again with their engine management system
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 22:16   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Yeh im doing a bit of moding on my T5 and its incredibly difficult to work with, really wishing I bought an ST instead.

No one wants to touch our ECU for any custom work as its an ECU out job unlike the ST which is just a plug in and update.

Just for an initial map there are loads of reputable mappers that can give you an initial power increase. I used Demon Tweeks for mine and still going 3 years strong.

Dont really know any other mappers but tbh the engine is capable of quite a lot so just make sure you do some research if you go local. I have recently moved to Surrey area and found a good mapper towards Plymouth which might be a potential as well but still doing my research

https://thperformance.selz.com/pages/remapping

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 09:37   #8
zapcity1

Shemtek Automotive Solutions seem to be the go tuners for the Volvotuning.net guys. Custom maps, engine mods. etc.

Check out the facebook page for previous work. Very highly regarded.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 09:51   #9
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnysquasher View Post
Hello,

It's been a while since my last post but after 9 years of service from my MTE mapped ph1 v70, I have had to replace her with a 2006 model year V50 T5.

I believe my new V50 is running the 2.5 T5 (B5254T3) engine and it's feeling a little slow in comparison! Therefore I am looking for a stage 1 remap for it.
I have used Hilton tuning, its a bit different than most tuners and will require you to have DiCE unit. But is cheaper and more convenient as you can do all from your driveway (and finding "local tuner" in Ireland that would touch T5 is close to impossible).
Very happy with the map, currently on 5th version of Stage1 map it after some back&forth tweaks.

Have a read here