Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GDI, fuel starvation issue

Views : 1501

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 11:08   #1
diarmuid

Question GDI, fuel starvation issue

Hi all,

First post, long winded, however, always better to tell as much as possible in the hope that someone out there has experience and/or advice.

Have been through forums over past 48 hours but unable to see any definite guide, my story is as follows:
Recently bought v40, 1998, GDI 1.8i, 126,000 miles on clock, full service history, mot just done, was a well kept car with loads of receipts, body is in cracking condition and leather interior also in good shape and with original carpets and upholstery all in good nick, so all the signs that she was well kept with only 2 previous owners.
Had done everyday runs of up to 15 miles for first 2 weeks, then went on a longer run of 100 miles around M25 in clear traffic, about half way, noticed car started to falter slightly, kept running and cleared itself.
Did a few more short runs, no issues, all perfect. Fuel consumption overall showing as 38.7 miles per gallon.
Another long run, 100 miles return journey and after about 40 miles, engine started to splutter again, cleared itself and then within a few minutes completely died, engine light came on and we came to rest on the hard shoulder. Tried turning over a few times, engine cranked, not starting, called AA.
AA man turned up, turned key and she started (this was about 90 minutes since stopping).
Drove for about 3 miles to get to safer parking area, AA guy then connected computer, but couldn't get a reading, pulled a few of the connectors off the engine and said it may be the oxygen sensor, but couldn't see any problems. Suggested we try driving and if she keeps going just keep driving but he would have to turn off after about 15 miles as that was his limit. Drove, no problems, he turned off and sure enough, within 2 minutes we were back sitting at the side of the road, same again, engine stalled, revs dropped and as the engine cut of, engine light came on and ended up sitting parked again.
Another AA man arrived, put us on his towbar on back of truck and 40 miles later, with white knuckles and unable to blink for duration of journey in the dark and some excellent rally style driving towed us home, (i can tell you that hard braking at roundabouts and trying to run lights and failing puts a lot of pressure on your braking ability and nerves) he didn't look at car.
Took car to local garage next morning (started first time and took her for a warm up drive). Garage claim they connected to computer and no fault codes showing so said it was most likely the fuel filter (which made sense to me). They changed the filter and also put in some additive to clear any excess carbon, it is also very important to note that they said the plugs may not be correct but were in fine condition, however, this would not cause any stuttering problems).
Went to job interview following morning (have just arrived back from 11 years in Spain and left behind my trusted v40 T4) oh how I miss my baby...
Drove about 30 miles and car died again, as per previous experience, sat there for an hour, turned key and she started, drove to interview (only 15 mins late).
Finished interview, got in car and she drove for about 15 miles and died again, this time, she also reset the clock and readings so something electrical has happened.
So, now in to 3rd AA man, he pulls up, puts some petrol in and she starts (no, I am not an idiot I told him and he agreed to follow me home), short sighted I know, but she died again within 5 miles which was a brief relief and confirmation that I am not altogether useless.
I can confirm that fuel pump working and delivering petrol as far engine.
Spark is good, not missing anything there.
AA man confirmed all this and rechecked, he was unsure about the inlet at the side for the gdi engine and didn't want to touch.
Anyways, next morning, I decide to take off a few parts, clean connectors, checked a few items, removed air filter and thermostat which was not operating at the correct temperature and took her for a quick run, thinking that if she stalled close to home, she would start up again after a while and i could get her back easily. Well she is now sitting at the side of the road for 2 days, turning over and not starting, she almost started a few times, took a bit of throttle and died off again, so in my mind its either petrol starvation and blocked injectors or faulty sensors and not enough fuel, now i have been reading up on possible issues.
yesterday. Went to halfords and bought a very expensive thin spark plug tool, and lo and behold, would you believe, as I was taking out the coil leads to remove the plugs, the 2nd coil lead was completely eroded, perished and half of the lead remains around the top of the spark plug, the spring was still in place but obviously had been loose and suffering for a long time.
The plugs (3 that I am able to take out) were blacker than a black thing and were wet with petrol.
So, upshot is. Garage obviously didn't do a very good job of checking the plugs if one of the coils are broken and eroded, which also makes me wonder did they actually check the computer for fault codes, however, if this is not the issue, what else should I be looking at. And, does anyone have any advice how I can get the bit of rubber left by the coil which is around the top of the spark plug out of the engine.
My next area of attack is to clean the injectors, fuel rail and throttle body and look at the lambda sensors.
Can anyone recommend where I can get some carb cleaner as the guys in halfords, letchworth looked at me as if I had 2 heads when I explained what I was looking for and what I wanted to do and suggested I could buy some redex, failing that they walked away and left me to browse the isles myself but I couldn't find anything.
Other option, Heaven forbid, is buying a different car am on way to carcraft this afternoon to see what is available but would dearly love to stay with v40.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some help.
diarmuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 17:16   #2
x DTR x
Premier Member

Any car spares will do carb/throttle housing cleaner. The spark plug recesses are very deep as you obviously know so getting any broken off melted on rubber is gonna be a nightmare to remove! Long thin sharp knife maybe to try and cut away at it, but need to be careful of any bits falling through hole if you manage to get plug out!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x DTR x For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 17:36   #3
gatos
Premier Member

After you do all the cleaning, replacing etc, try disconnecting the battery. Do that and cross the +ve and -ve cables together to discharge and left over charge. Then leave the battery disconnected for 30 minutes or so and then connect everything back on. Try the car and see if it makes a difference. I have a few bits from a working GDI in case you need any of them to try to see if they solve your problem. Coil packs, injectors with or without the fuel rail and fuel pressure sensor.

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Feb 2nd, 2013 at 17:38.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:50   #4
diarmuid

Cheers fellas, Gatos, I may take you up on the offer, should know by Tuesday night as will have Tuesday to take a good look and clean through systems, will let you know, thanks again for the offer
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 11:20   #5
diarmuid

Hi Gatos,
I got another mechanic in and he said as follows:
Ignition coil failure in 3 of the packs. 3 plugs came out wet with fuel, 1 was dry. Checked compression and all is very good. Changed coils over and a different plug came out dry, so based on this will have to get plugs and coil packs
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 11:35   #6
davidstrongbow

definitely get volvo gdi plugs, made a big difference to mine.
davidstrongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 23:13   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Agree too. Definitely get Volvo plugs. If you are interested in the coil packs, let me know. I will PM you my email as you can't sent PMs yet, so you can contact me if you wish

Nullius in Verba
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 13:33   #8
diarmuid

Lightbulb Update

So, returned after a few days in beautiful Ireland, coils and volvo original plugs awaiting. Put everything into car, started first time, whew!
Went through the 10 minute idling, restart and another 10 minutes with air con on full.
All good.
Went for a short high rev spin, all good.
Just took a run down to local tesco and kept her on a high rev there and on way back, after 6 miles, she is now sitting on the junction of a roundabout, back to square one having conked out again.
Same thing, turning over, not firing.
Am gonna go back later and check plugs to see if they are all firing but have to say having a sinking feeling and a not so well attuned wife stomping down the roadway is adding to my impending feeling of doom, she got a quote back this morning for a new, wait for it, oh my God no! Fiat 500
Any further ideas, PLEASE let me know and I will report back after my afternoon excursion to the village roundabout.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 14:36   #9
gatos
Premier Member

Only thing I can suggest is to have the codes read again with the Volvo DICE.

Nullius in Verba
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 14:28   #10
diarmuid

Default Time for an update

So, got codes read and there were lots, most likely from several garages and AA men pulling leads and diagnosis options. Garage cleared all codes and kept car for a week, testing every day, nothing showing up and car starting and running fine. Suggestion was to take car and if it stopped again, take straight back in, so this is where I am now at. Have been driving for 3 weeks, all short journeys, no more than 10 miles round trips. Set off this morning for a longer drive and she died on the A1 after about 45 miles.
AA came and guy tried some carburettor cleaner and she started with this, then he absolutely wacked her backside with a huge metal bar (she is an old girl and she seems to have liked it) as she started on the button and drove back with no issues and is now sitting in garage forecourt where they will hook her up and see what codes come up now.
AA man thinks its the fuel pump playing up, hence the whack and given that she turned and purred whilst spraying carb cleaner.
So any other advice or experience appreciated and if anyone has a spare fuel tank pump I am interested...

Tags
1.8i, fuel starvation, gdi, sensors, v40