Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying from PGI Farnham

Views : 12344

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:35   #11
burchi

Default RE: Buying from PGI Farnham

Bought my car from PGI Farnham last March (V70 R AWD '98). Whole catalogue of disasters followed: ABS unit, Heater matrix then after this followed: Propshaft, Transfer box, front wishbones, rear nivomats, rear caliper and disks, front disks, front suspension link rods and a few other bits and pieces. Total cost...approx £4,000 with labour!!!!!

To their credit, I only had their own 1 year/10,000 mile warranty which they underwrite themselves and has a £1,000 aggregate claim limit. They covered the vast majority of the work above with some funding by me although had I not pushed so hard, this may not have been the case... If however you get transmission troubles, NEVER EVER let them send the car or it's parts to 3D Transmissions in Aldershot... My experience of them was dire!

So, I think it all depends on what you get and how hard you are prepared to fight if needed...Me..I am relentless!!!

Good luck...

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:09   #12
sarge
Master Member

Default RE: Buying from PGI Farnham

That sounds outragous treatment. Soon after I bought my 850 my ABS light came on and I needed a new sensor or something. The dealer took the car back in straight away and fixed the problem under warranty - no hassles.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 23:50   #13
hotkeez

If you want to look at other used Volvo's before buying, try "Chobham Motor Company, Chertsey Rd, Chobham. 01276 855772

I was going to buy an M reg 850 from a Basingstoke used Volvo dealer for 4995.0, I ended up buy an R reg V70 from Chobham for the same price with a 4 year RAC warenty.

David
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:05   #14
bigpaddyquigley

Default PGI Big Problems

[Hi there. I bought a V70 from them in 06. Have had nothing but problems with it since. ETM went etc etc. The warranty is one A4 sheet of paper which is useless. It does not cover anything electrical. I took my car to thier garage, and requested the owner come to the garage to chat about the problems. He did not want to know. I spoke to another garage about the problems. The mechanic at the new garage used to work for PGI and counld'nt wait to get away.

The carhas cost me about £1500 so far to fix.

Steer clear from them.
bigpaddyquigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 21:58   #15
john-sussex

We have bought Four from them and always found them to be very good, never had a problem. It has to be said you will pay top dollar though.
john-sussex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 16:22   #16
NJP
VOC Member

Bought a p60 with 170K on the clock a few years ago. One of the best cars I have ever owned. Would go there again if I didn't live in Scotland now.
NJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 15:18   #17
st5ve
S60 R

PGI you will pay top dollar for a car from there, but their stock changes on a very regular basis and I believe they will come to you if you are interested in buying a vehicle and you are under no obligation to buy if you don’t like it.

I think knowing your rights as a consumer always helps, don’t allow a company to hide behind a warranty when it is clear that a vehicle is not fit for its intended use.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 21:03   #18
Swede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttacornwall View Post
I think knowing your rights as a consumer always helps, don’t allow a company to hide behind a warranty when it is clear that a vehicle is not fit for its intended use.
Sounds good until you need those consumer rights - they're not worth a dime if PGi secretly closes down the company and transfers their assets while you are in the process of suing them so you don't get a penny of the money they are ordered to pay you. How many names have they had now? How many people have they screwed? I don't care if they have hundreds of satisfied customers - it's the way they treat you when something goes wrong that counts. Like something they stepped in, in my experience.
Swede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 00:43   #19
st5ve
S60 R

I have only seen their ads and for some time now as PGI, what other names have they traded under? How long ago?
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:28   #20
Swede2

Default PGi in court again!

Do a search on "PGi" posts on this and the Volvo Performance Forum. I'm not going into it all again. Some people get bored when you try and save them from losing their shirts.

They had another claim against them in court in Guildford this week. I saw the paperwork - they sold a car under their PGi Farnham name in February 2007, despite the fact that their sole defence to my claim, also in February 2007 (at Farnham Court) was that PGi Farnham had ceased trading in July 2006 and they produced documents to the Farnham court from their accountant and the Inland Revenue to that effect. (Mind you they also stated that they had no debts or liabilities when they "ceased trading" whereas it has since been revealed by the Liquidator that they owe over £100k, £4k+ of it to me.) They also issued a warranty under the defunct name. If they've done it once, how many other times have they done it?

JUST STEER CLEAR! If you are buying a car, check out the company by doing a search (free) on the Companies House website. It takes a minute and could save you years of grief. I'll even save some of you that minute - don't go to PGi, under whatever variation of the name they are using, even if they are giving cars away free of charge.

PGi (Farnham) Limited is in liquidation.
PGi Volvo Estates Ltd has a proposal to strike off, which would have happened by now had it not been stayed pending a court claim.
Swede2 is offline   Reply With Quote