Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fixed towbars and parking sensors

Views : 5900

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 16:24   #1
johnikgriff

Default Fixed towbars and parking sensors

Folks

Getting my XC90 in a few weeks, will my parking sensors work okay with a fixed towbar. Looks like I will be okay, but obviously the towbar fitters are all trying to sell me a detachable one (which I'll never detact).

Thanks
johnikgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 16:37   #2
gillberry
VOC Member

Should be picking my xc90 up in a couple of weeks and have ordered a fixed flange towbar (need to mount a stabiliser as classic caravan) . The rear parking sensors can be switched off but there should not be a problem for everyday use .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 18:02   #3
Frank

Agree it should not be a problem. I have a detachable Brink but when the ball is in place it does not affect the sensors.

Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:44   #4
JackRussel

Have had a fixed towbar on 2 XC90s and have one on current XC60. Never caused a problem.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 13:12   #5
SKH
SKH

I had an XC90 with a fixed towbar and now have an XC60 also with a fixed towbar, never had any problems with the reversing sensors. When the 'beeping' goes to a continuous noise the towball is about 4" from hitting anything.
SKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:01   #6
XC90caravanpuller
VOC Member

Default towball and parking sensors

Sorry to bear bad tidings, but on hols in Italy, France, Germany and Switzerland a message came up on the display saying "parking sensor service required".
The sensors now don't work.
No "beep beep beeeeeeeep" reverse parking now we are back in Brighton is a pain.
Anyone had parking sensors "serviced"?
We washed the sensors as advised in the manual.
No luck.
We were reversing with caravan on the back when it happened.
I thought the sensors were turned off when you plugged in the 2 sockets to the car?
older and not much wiser!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:06   #7
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90caravanpuller View Post
Sorry to bear bad tidings, but on hols in Italy, France, Germany and Switzerland a message came up on the display saying "parking sensor service required".
The sensors now don't work.
No "beep beep beeeeeeeep" reverse parking now we are back in Brighton is a pain.
Anyone had parking sensors "serviced"?
We washed the sensors as advised in the manual.
No luck.
We were reversing with caravan on the back when it happened.
I thought the sensors were turned off when you plugged in the 2 sockets to the car?
older and not much wiser!
I believe the sensors are only deactivated if you have a Volvo Trailer Module fitted.

hope it helps
TruckbusUK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 17:22   #8
NCS XC90

Hi,
I have had the same message on mine before now (after fiddling with the park assist wiring). I'm afraid it can only be reset with one of the electronic tools that Volvo has (VIDAS) or if you know an Indy who has the relevant software. Alternatively if you know someone with a PPC scanner they can reset the error message and obviously read the code to tell you why it went into error.
Basically whilst fixing the cause of the error may be a DIY job turning the error off without the proper scanner isn't.
Regards,
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCS XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:10   #9
XC90caravanpuller
VOC Member

Default rear parking sensors

HI and thanks for the posts replying to my query.
Lots of helpful info.
I've been offline thanks to Virgin Media!!!!!!
Seems like their switch to Google servers has messed everyone in the South East. Now have no email, having got the broadband and TV back. Old set top box has internal modem which isn't up to the new software they squirted down the cables.New modem in the post. My complaint posted to Ofcom, and on Twitter.
Took car into independent (Amber, Southwick) yesterday for MOT (passed no problems!), oil and filter change (£49 quid for semi synthetic? more expensive than champagne! I nearly fainted), parking brake check( I drove towing caravan for about 0.5 miles with brake on!? That is one powerful engine!) and to check sensors.

Back to sensors:

Invoice says, "REM 6001,4F44 No. 3 sensor fault", and they were talking about having to strip down the whole bumper, off the car at huge cost.
Something about series or parallel, and whole system shutting down to avoid assumptions from one sensor out of 4 not working.
Car is covered by extended warranty, but insurers didn't know if sensors are included in "what's covered".
I have to get garage to phone them with diagnosis and to ask for go ahead or not!
I get to pay anything over £40 per hour, if it is covered!
I'll keep you all posted.
Advised by them (Amber) not to change ATF.
Will post that on the other thread about geartronic.
Oh Well!
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:43   #10
XC90caravanpuller
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
I believe the sensors are only deactivated if you have a Volvo Trailer Module fitted.

hope it helps
How do I tell which I've got?
Witter fixed towbar added when I bought the car from PW Cars near Slough.
Looking at the info booklet the trailer module seems to work the sound for the indicators, so appears compatible with loom and electronics.

The garage asked if they'd been "hit" and I had to admit an bump when reversing into a tight site, but they don't appear damaged.
Does anyone know how they work?
Sensitive sensors seems a bit daft!

Last edited by XC90caravanpuller; Oct 3rd, 2009 at 10:46. Reason: memory problems interrupted by toast and yoghurt
XC90caravanpuller is offline   Reply With Quote