Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 2005 paper fuel filter change - leaking

Views : 2344

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 13:39   #21
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

I've tried 2 after market fuel filters from auto factors on my XC70 D5 and both of them leaked were the 2 plastic parts screw together, so I only ever use Volvo ones now and have never had a problem since.

when I compared the large O rings from the after market ones I found them to be slightly smaller in the size of the cross section only by point something of a mm and not as flexible as the Volvo ones.

I know the Volvo ones are more expensive but I think its worth it if they seal every time and its not as if you change them every year.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 13:44   #22
McGandalf

My understanding is that the Mann PU823x is exactly the same as the Volvo 'genuine' fuel filter for the D5 (paper cartridge type) - and the only difference is the box it comes in?

I assume Mann makes the Volvo 'genuine' fuel filter and removes any 'Mann' branding?
McGandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 13:47   #23
McGandalf

Should I have bled the fuel system of air between removing the old filter and fitting the new filter?
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 14:33   #24
Leyburn

It should prime itself. You can fill the canister with clean diesel to reduce cranking, although the lift pump should fill the canister (assuming there is a lift pump for the D5)
Leyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 14:43   #25
Dancake
Premier Member

The original filter is made by Purflux (as mentioned in post #14). If the Mann filter isn't up to scratch, I'm sure they would appreciate the feedback.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 14:51   #26
BillDD5

I replaced the fuel filter in my 2005 XC70 D5 at the weekend and fitted a Mahle KX 226 D (equivalent to the Mann PU 823x) and it went on OK, although I used a bit of engine oil around the new ‘O’ ring seal and threads to help get it back on.

The in-tank Pump runs for a while when the ignition is turned on and the engine started straight away after it’d let the pump run till I heard it stop, only to stop again after a few seconds. I turned the ignition off and back on and let the pump run again and after a bit of cranking it started again, no problems.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 09:49   #27
McGandalf

Hi,
Thanks to a proper ramp and a helpful mechanic, I managed to get the fuel filter on the car and do the cap up on the threads, flush against the o-ring. Car starts up and runs with no more diesel leaks from the filter housing.

However, the engine is taking considerably more cranking before it fires up than before. Do I assume there is air in the fuel system? If so, could this be resolved by some more turning the ignition key to Pos II, leaving it for 15-30 seconds, turning the ignition off and then back to II for a short while again - to bleed the system of air? Or might it require something more dramatic?
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 18:09   #28
McGandalf

Hi chaps - any thoughts on the poor starting issue? I just want to set my paranoid mind at rest that I haven't done major damage to the injectors/high pressure pump by getting air in the fuel system via botching my fuel filter fitting - and that this air can be bled via the ignition key priming method. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 18:13   #29
Leyburn

My 185 D5 has coughed slowly into life for the last 80k miles or so. Same battery, same injectors, same pump.

Use high cetane fuel and a good additive to see if it improves. Long motorway runs and occasional visits to the red line (and beyond!) have preserved my daily diesels for many years.
Leyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 18:48   #30
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGandalf View Post
Hi chaps - any thoughts on the poor starting issue? I just want to set my paranoid mind at rest that I haven't done major damage to the injectors/high pressure pump by getting air in the fuel system via botching my fuel filter fitting - and that this air can be bled via the ignition key priming method. Thanks in advance.
There's a starting problem diagnosis video on my YouTube channel.
The information is readily available so I wouldn't try guesswork.