Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General > 300/66 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I have permission to buy a.......

Views : 1062

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 23:32   #1
purplebargeken
Premier Member

Default I have permission to buy a.......

740 auto saloon in dark grey or metallic blue. Permission granted by Mrs. PBK (which is in fact a minor miracle ask Marty Dolomite - note to self: buy lottery tickets).

There is always a catch however. Firstly I have to get rid of a car. The Triumph is tax exempt, as is the Daf 33 so they stay.

The only other option is to sell my 1978 Volvo 66GL estate (1300) in funky 70's green. Now this isn't a runner at the moment but I have all of the bits and bobs to make this a distinct possibility, plus a set of rear shocks. There are just two patches of welding needed. The biggest is about 3" square in the rear wheel arch/end of sill closing section. I have good friends who know these cars inside out and will happily advise and supply other parts.

The car is located in a barn near Chelmsford. Anyone fancy it or a swap perhaps? These cars have a following and are priced in a similar vein to the 740/940 cars. Here's the link to my original thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143552

Cheers

Ken

Last edited by purplebargeken; Jun 11th, 2012 at 23:35.
purplebargeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 15:34   #2
macplaxton

740? Are you bonkers Ken?
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 19:16   #3
purplebargeken
Premier Member

Wibble, wibble, wibble. Yes, highly likely sir!

Look at it this way. I have a fully functioning 33, a 33 that will need complete restoration and a Triumph 1300 that is being restored as I type (well almost).

Mrs. PBK hates everything that I have bar the 1300. I like the older Volvo's and I love the 66 but something has to give. Sadly I just can't keep them all. The 66 whilst very interesting and quite practical is the one that would fetch most cash that could either buy a 740 outright or at least go a goodly way to funding another. Plus Mrs. PBK is uber keen on a 740 which really is a major miracle and would make it easier to obtain funding/support for fettling it when required.

If I had a spare grand to hand then selling the 66 would not be an issue at all. I am in no rush and if I can put aside some cash each month then I will keep the 'Mushy Vee' and be damned, but I have limited cash and what I do manage with it each month makes JC/loaves/fishes seem rather mundane.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 19:59   #4
purplebargeken
Premier Member

Actually, upon reflection, bollox to that. I'll keep the 66 and save for a 740. There doesn't seem to be much around at the moment anyhoo.

I shall go and thrash myself with some shredded variomatic belts in pennance.
The Following User Says Thank You to purplebargeken For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 20:01   #5
Spike1918
Looney

Are the wee Dafs really so collectable nowadays? I remember when you couldn`t give them away!

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 20:37   #6
purplebargeken
Premier Member

They are indeed and there is a devoted bunch of nutters who work hard to keep them on the road. I suppose it is like most things, what was the current day mundane can sometimes turn out to be the classic or neo-classic of the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to purplebargeken For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 21:11   #7
macplaxton

I was thinking that it's probably for your own good that you don't just dive into 700 series ownership. If you're wallet is grumbling now, it'll be bellyaching severely, for all the fuel a nice 700 would slurp.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 21:41   #8
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebargeken View Post
... I have limited cash and what I do manage with it each month makes JC/loaves/fishes seem rather mundane.