Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise and pulsing

Views : 1196

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:14   #11
volvo again
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
I'll consult the bible according to St Haynes as to replacement procedure.
You won't find any info in the Haynes book on reluctor rings...
Plenty of videos on line, easy enough job but you do need to remove driveshaft
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:00   #12
Martin Cox
VOC Member

It's not too difficult a job unless the splines have been glued into the hub, in which case it can be hard to free the driveshaft from the hub. Since mine had had the CV boots replaced, the local Volvo dealer had the pleasure of freeing them the first time around.

I used these: https://www.ukpartsdirect.com/abs-re...ring-1005.html and had no trouble fitting them and they've been fine so far. Once the driveshaft was free from the hub I was able to fit the new ones without having to remove the shafts from the car.

The old rings practically fell off since both had split and the new ones fitted easily after gentle warming and tapping them home with a small tack hammer.

The old ones never gave any actual trouble which was quite amazing considering the state of them but they were starting to upset the MoT inspector.

I also found it wasn't necessary to remove the ABS sensor from the steering knuckle although I did have to unplug the cable from it.

Martin
1998 V70 Tdi SE Auto 225,000 miles
Martin Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 12:30   #13
Dippydog
Premier Member

Yes all the Haynes has to say about them[although they call them something else]is that they're a press fit and take it to a dealer to have done.Once I'm positive it's my problem[it'll be Saturday before I get chance to look at it]I'll see about ordering one-thanks for the link MC-would it be better to order a pair?What are the chances that if the N/S one has gone that the O/S one might do the same?Will I need to have some kind of computer reset done to clear the ABS light or will that reset itself?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 12:48   #14
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Personally I'd buy a pair yes, they're that cheap you might as well, and if you've got the time then change both, as if one has corroded or cracked the other won't be far behind.

ABS light will re-set itself once you go above 15mph and it detects no problems. Light will stay on only if there's still a problem.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 23:02   #15
Martin Cox
VOC Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...8&d=1560160330 These are the rings I removed from my V70. It's definitely worth replacing both. I find it difficult to believe that they never caused any issues or threw up any error codes.
Martin Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 20:17   #16
Dippydog
Premier Member

Drove it round to my lock up garage today[no noise or pulsing]about 1/4 mile from home.Got it in the air and had a look[they don't look anywhere near as bad as those in the link in post above this one]couldn't see any cracks or anything although there was a row of about 15 teeth that were a lighter colour than the rest-as though they'd rubbed on something-gave the ring a bit of a clean up and also cleaned drivers side one up a bit[also looked to be in decent condition]and then took car for a run round town of about 10 mls,again no noise or pulsing,so while at present the ABS light is still on[will give it a longer run to see if that clears]everything seems as normal.Have ordered a pair of rings just to be on the safe side though.Many thanks to those who've taken their time to reply with their thoughts/suggestions/pointers.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 12:54   #17
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Dippydog

I am pretty sure that the ABS does a self test every time that you start and then drive (at about 12 mph). That should clear the ABS light if the test doesn't find any problems.

If you listen for it you should be able to hear a slight buzz as the ABS self test runs.

It may be that the self test will not run if it detects certain types of fault - maybe you have one of those.

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 17:58   #18
Dippydog
Premier Member

You've mentioned "about 12mph" Luxobarge in an earlier post mentioned "about15mph",Whichever may be correct I certainly got above both those speeds although I wasn't listening for a self test,I'll do that tomorrow.I'm wondering if whatever it was caused the original problem has also damaged the sensor? I'll have to look into it when the new rings arrive.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 18:11   #19
ITSv40
VOC Member

They should all do a self test at 12mph. If I purposefully listen for it I can just about hear it, otherwise in normal 'driving off' I am never aware of it happening.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 22:16   #20
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi all,

I think the self test only runs if all wheels are rotating at the same speed.
Maybe if a wheel sensor is at fault, the system will not self test.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote