Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1967 Volvo 122s: My first car

Views : 9530

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2016, 19:39   #1
Humzah Ahmad

Default 1967 Volvo 122s: My first car

Hi guys!

Yesterday I picked up my first car, a 67 Volvo Amazon, and I love it! It's a project car as my parents want me to become more mechanically inclined before I move onto something fancier.

Today though I ran into my first issue, I broke the key in the ignition switch and it will not come out. My dads mechanic said he can get it out, but I want to know if there are any better alternative ignition switches I can install in the car? The orginal one is extremely stiff.

Also, does anyone on here know where I can buy an orginal Volvo Amazon steering wheel? The previous owner installed a smaller one cause the orginal steering wheel was uncomfortable for his legs.
Humzah Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Humzah Ahmad For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 19:49   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humzah Ahmad View Post
Hi guys!

Yesterday I picked up my first car, a 67 Volvo Amazon, and I love it! It's a project car as my parents want me to become more mechanically inclined before I move onto something fancier.

Today though I ran into my first issue, I broke the key in the ignition switch and it will not come out. My dads mechanic said he can get it out, but I want to know if there are any better alternative ignition switches I can install in the car? The orginal one is extremely stiff.

Also, does anyone on here know where I can buy an orginal Volvo Amazon steering wheel? The previous owner installed a smaller one cause the orginal steering wheel was uncomfortable for his legs.
Good luck.

Ron Kwas is over your way and sells a push button solution. http://www.sw-em.com
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 20:05   #3
Humzah Ahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
Good luck.

Ron Kwas is over your way and sells a push button solution. http://www.sw-em.com
Thank you! I heard about the push start button but I didn't think it would be so inexpensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Humzah Ahmad For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 21:15   #4
volvogv
Master Member

Congratulations on your 122!
Your father is correct that working on it is a great way to build mechanical knowledge. Parts are readily available from multiple sources.

As one who has been the owner of several Volvos over the years I want to say this.........These cars are becoming more rare and have become historically significant examples of midcentury Swedish automotive excellence. You have been entrusted to preserve that car for future generations. I encourage you to keep the car in proper condition and not modify it or damage it.
volvogv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvogv For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 21:25   #5
Humzah Ahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvogv View Post
Congratulations on your 122!
Your father is correct that working on it is a great way to build mechanical knowledge. Parts are readily available from multiple sources.

As one who has been the owner of several Volvos over the years I want to say this.........These cars are becoming more rare and have become historically significant examples of midcentury Swedish automotive excellence. You have been entrusted to preserve that car for future generations. I encourage you to keep the car in proper condition and not modify it or damage it.
Thank you. That's the plan, I want to keep it as orginal as possible. Hence the reason I want find a orginal steering wheel. Only thing I will have to change our the floor pans since they are rusted out.
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 21:38   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

HA;

Welcome to this forum!

Unfortunately, you have started off your relationship with the car on one of the low (but not uncommon!) moments...this is totally typical, and more-so the higher the mileage and number of times the Key has been turned against the Gorilla Spring...anyone with any kind of experience with these cars would have warned you to be extremely careful with OE Ignition Switch and Key, and upgrade to a Pushbutton Start Switch ASAP...as it is, you now need to carefully extract remains of broken Key, get that replaced, and STILL install the kit.

Otherwise, these cars are robust, being made of fine materials as a result of good engineering...and the people on the forums have pretty much figured out those weaknesses which develop after 50 years. Always inform yourself when questions come up by using forums Search features, and refer to the websites out there, including my Sw-Em site (thanks for the reference, KS!).

In addition to the other Technical Articles on the Sw-Em site, I (first) invite you to see: http://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switch...ch_article.htm ...do NOT allow mechanic to undertake any other repairs until you have informed yourself further...the Ign Sw is permanently connected to Ign Coil by way of an Armored Cable. Inadvertent (and unecessary!) damage to any of these parts will most certainly increase the scope (and cost) of repairs!

Cheers

Reason kit is inexpensive (and I hope you will feel that way about all Sw-Em Kits!) is that my priority is helping owners keep their vintage Volvos on the road, and I'm happy getting some "Beer Money" out of it...not necessarily paying off the house! It would sure be a boring world if everyone drove Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jul 12th, 2016 at 21:49.
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 21:55   #7
Humzah Ahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
HA;

Welcome to this forum!

Unfortunately, you have started off your relationship with the car on one of the low (but not uncommon!) moments...this is totally typical, and more-so the higher the mileage and number of times the Key has been turned against the Gorilla Spring...anyone with any kind of experience with these cars would have warned you to be extremely careful with OE Ignition Switch and Key, and upgrade to a Pushbutton Start Switch ASAP...as it is, you now need to carefully extract remains of broken Key, get that replaced, and STILL install the kit.

Otherwise, these cars are robust, being made of fine materials as a result of good engineering...and the people on the forums have pretty much figured out those weaknesses which develop after 50 years. Always inform yourself when questions come up by using forums Search features, and refer to the websites out there, including my Sw-Em site (thanks for the reference, KS!).

In addition to the other Technical Articles on the Sw-Em site, I (first) invite you to see: http://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switch...ch_article.htm ...do NOT allow mechanic to undertake any other repairs until you have informed yourself further...the Ign Sw is permanently connected to Ign Coil by way of an Armored Cable. Inadvertent (and unecessary!) damage to any of these parts will most certainly increase the scope (and cost) of repairs!

Cheers

Reason kit is inexpensive (and I hope you will feel that way about all Sw-Em Kits!) is that my priority is helping owners keep their vintage Volvos on the road, and I'm happy getting some "Beer Money" out of it...not necessarily paying off the house! It would sure be a boring world if everyone drove Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys!
The orginal owner(who I bought car from) told me that the key is easy to break in the ignition switch, but did not tell me about the upgrade. I will be buying one ASAP after I show my dad your site! So I should have my mechanic just take out the remains of the key? I've tried everything in my garage and have had no luck. Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.7 KB, 18 views)
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 22:11   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

HA;

Yes, extract key with no further insult to Lock Cylinder!

Use tweezers, or air pressure or a piece of the tiniest guitar string with a hook bent on the end, inserted and pushed past the key, turned, and gently pulled out to help extract broken remains of Key...whatever method is successful in extracting remains with no damage is acceptable, as Lock Cylinder will remain and must play with replacement key (LCs are replaceable as a Plan B option, but this should not be the first plan of action!)...the removed Key remains will need to be used to make a new Key from a blank.

Good Hunting!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jul 12th, 2016 at 22:19.
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 22:14   #9
amazon69
Premier Member

Welcome to classic Volvo ownership Humzah. You'll sort the key out soon enough. Re the steering wheel, look on ebay.com and ask on here.. Edit..I see you have. Put a wanted ad on here. They are usually effective. Everyone in this community is very friendly and helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 22:22   #10
Humzah Ahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
HA;

Yes, extract key with no further insult to Lock Cylinder!

Use tweezers, or air pressure or a piece of the tiniest guitar string with a hook bent on the end, inserted and pushed past the key, turned, and gently pulled out to help extract broken remains of Key...whatever method is successful in extracting remains with no damage is acceptable, as Lock Cylinder will remain and must play with replacement key (LCs are replaceable as a Plan B option, but this should not be the first plan of action!)...the removed Key remains will need to be used to make a new Key from a blank.

Good Hunting!
I tried everything from needle nose pliers to tweezers and even locksmith tools, and it will not come out. Tye issue maybe that the tumblers have it locked in as the key is broken in the momentary on position. The previous owner made like 10 spare keys for it though so that isn't a problem.