Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

FS: 2011 V70 D5 Geartronic Polestar

Views : 1308

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2018, 23:16   #1
I-S
Premier Member

Default FS: 2011 V70 D5 Geartronic Polestar

After five and a half years it's time for us to move on from Volvo ownership, for now. Also see my thread in the link in my sig.

Before getting onto the details of the car I shall explain why we are selling it. When we bought this car we lived in a terraced house where we could only have one car that had to do it all, and my commute and general usage was well matched to the V70. More recently we moved house to have much more space, and last year I bought a Nissan Leaf to provide very low-cost commuting/errands/shops/etc usage. With less long-distance travel in the last few years, the mileage on the V70 dropped massively - it's done less than 2000 miles in the last year. There's no point owning a diesel vehicle for this usage, and we've put a deposit down on a 345bhp petrol RWD saloon.

I will be cleaning and photographing the car for up to date pictures this weekend. In the meantime please see this thread for pictures of the car over time.

So, the car for sale:

MY2011 Volvo V70 2.4 D5 SE Lux Geartronic with Polestar (225bhp)
Sport Mode Geartronic
84034 miles as of today
Last serviced 04/12/2018 (yes, yesterday)
MOT due 31/1/2019 - already paid for on a service plan at Hatfields Volvo Bury - this can be passed onto the new owner or pulled forward to give a fresh MOT
2 Keys (car shows 2 keys registered)
Full Volvo Service History

Exterior
Savile Grey Metallic
Balder 17" alloys with Michelin Crossclimate 225/50R17. Tyres have very good tread, have done less than 6000 miles (all 4 were fitted at same time, June 2017).
Silver Metallic roof rails
Sunroof (seal replaced, see this thread)
Bi-Xenon Active Bending Lights
Parking Sensors front and rear
Electric Tailgate (I bought Evgeny's remote-close module but have not got around to fitting it - will be supplied to new owner)
Genuine Volvo Mudflaps front and rear
Genuine Volvo Rear Spoiler
Dual Exhaust. Dual Prancing Mooses.
Windscreen had the common bonding failure, and was removed and re-sealed in June of 2017, with a lifetime warranty on the new sealing. Work carried out by Local Windscreens of Union St, Royton.
Number plates are secured well with strong tape – no screws.

Interior
Beige Leather seats, with heated front seats. Power driver’s seat with memory
Black dashboard, steering wheel, etc and charcoal grey carpets. Beige lower door cards.
Sat Nav
USB audio input in centre console
CD Player
Viofo A119 Dashcam with GPS fitted with hard-wire kit. It’s a version 1 GPS base so the GPS function can be unreliable. I’ll leave this fitted to the car. Records 2560x1440p 30fps.

Mechanical
This car is the later version of the 205bhp twin-turbo, with 169g/km VED figure. It has the Polestar map, giving 225bhp.
This car is also late enough to have the Sport Mode on the gearbox – in combination with the Polestar map this makes the car rather swift.
Cambelt was changed at 72982 miles on 05/12/2016

History
This car carries number plates from Bells Motor Group, where forum member Mtillingvolvo works. He was able to help me get together the history of the vehicle.

First Registration date was 31/1/2011, and the vehicle was a Volvo or Lease vehicle for a few months. Bells then received the vehicle and sold it on 21/10/2011 with 10749 miles. It was at this point that the car received the rear spoiler and Polestar, as well as Supagard.
One year later, October 2012, it was again purchased by Bells, and sold in December 2012 with 33802 miles, to a company in the Forest of Dean.

A few months later something changed for that company and they no longer needed the vehicle and it passed into the care of the local car dealer, Court Farm Garage. After a month or two on their forecourt, we purchased the car on 22nd July 2013, at 37973 miles.

It has a full Volvo service history, as follows:
date miles dealer

28/01/2012 16855 Bells Motor Group
05/12/2012 33803 Bells Motor Group
04/12/2013 42665 Hatfield Volvo Bury - transmission fluid replaced
05/12/2014 53531 MRG Chippenham - Aux tensioner replaced under recall
02/12/2015 63438 Clive Brook Huddersfield
05/12/2016 72982 Hatfield Volvo Bury - Cambelt replaced
05/12/2017 82390 Hatfield Volvo Bury
04/12/2018 84017 Hatfield Volvo Bury

Shows
This vehicle has been to a few volvo events and meets. At the 2016 Swedesport Beaulieu meet, it won Best Diesel and Best V70 mk III in the show-and-shine.

Bad Stuff
This is an 8 year old 84k mile car, so it’s not going to be showroom perfect.

The OSF wing has a slight mis-shape in the wheelarch because of an argument between the car and garage door (I think it was a draw, except for my wallet and ego).

Some scratches and stonechips – nothing unexpected, and probably less front stone-chipping than many as about 35000 miles of my usage was commuting on A-roads and through town.

Transmission sometimes thumps into drive. It’s always done this, and I talked about it in this thread only 4 days after we got the vehicle. I had the transmission fluid “changed” (pretty sure that just meant a sump drop and fill) at the next service. The thump comes and goes and has got no worse than it ever was, but the dealer highlighted the issue in the last service. It varies with temperature, how it’s been driven, whether the car has been parked on a slope, etc. Since this problem hasn’t really changed in the 5 years and 46000 miles we’ve had the car I leave it to the reader to judge (see also many other threads about P3 cars thumping into drive – it’s not uncommon).

There has always been a slight knocking from the OSF suspension, especially when turning the steering wheel quickly at slow speed (eg pulling out of a parking space) – I had the OSF top mount changed under warranty to try to solve this, but it made no difference. Again, this hasn’t really changed over the time we’ve had the car.

If we were keeping the car longer term then I’d be looking at changing the transmission fluid again, flushing out the power steering fluid and maybe looking at freshening up the shocks and possibly some bushings in the suspension. Typical stuff for a vehicle of this age and mileage really, and hopefully you can see that I’ve an eye on preventative maintenance.

Good Stuff
I hope it’s obvious that this is a car that has been looked after and well maintained. We’re moving on from it only because we have the opportunity and desire for something a bit more special, as it is no longer the daily workhorse.

When we were looking for this car’s replacement we visited BMW and Mercedes dealerships to sit in the new E-class and 5 series. I was stunningly disappointed in the interior quality of those cars, and getting back into the Volvo I was reminded that it is a lovely place to be. In fact, there were only two vehicles that we looked at that I felt were better (and my husband only agreed on one of those!) – the Lexus GS (no one can touch them for material quality) and the Tesla S (where there are some naff bits, but not things that you actually interact with and touch routinely).

So the good stuff is that this is a car that has been well cared-for and maintained with full Volvo dealer history even at 8 years old. It has polestar and Sport mode so can lift its skirts and MOVE when you need it to, but equally it’s happy to cruise and waft.

Over the time we’ve had the car it has returned 38.7mpg overall, and I’m quite happy to give the new owner a copy of the data – I have recorded every fill up we’ve ever put in it. I can say with confidence and the data to back it up that a motorway run with the cruise set on an indicated 73mph will return high 40s mpg, and best ever tank was 51.

Because this is the later version with 169g/km the tax is a little less and the fuel economy better than the earlier version of the 205bhp engine.

The paintwork is very shiny, but it has never had a deep machine polishing. I’ve always used a very light touch on polishing (mostly by hand) and nothing more cutting than Farecla G3 paintwork renovator. I’ve always preferred to leave deeper marks and rely on high filler polish (eg Autoglym SRP or Carpro Essence). This means that there should be plenty of clearcoat depth remaining should a future owner want to do a deeper polish.

I’m pretty confident to say that this is one of the best examples of a V70 D5 of this age on the market. I hope also that it’s one of the most honestly described and clearly historied examples.

Really @n@l detailed stuff
This car was delivered from the factory on Njord wheels, which are an 8 inch wide wheel fitted with 235/45R17. At some point unknown the car was fitted with Balder wheels, which are a 7” wide wheel fitted with 225/50R17. Both are legitimate, standard volvo spec. However, when the wider wheels are fitted from the factory, a limiter is put on the steering rack that prevents the last bit of steering travel (limits to 2.7 turns lock-to-lock instead of 3). This is still fitted, so the car can’t turn quite as tightly as it could. I enquired about having this removed (actually instructed a dealer to do so, but when I came back at the end of the day they said it was possible to do – they’d just looked at that, instead of doing it as I had asked them to) but haven’t done so.

This car has never had a tow-bar fitted.

I will supply a print-out (and soft copy if wanted) of a spreadsheet of the date, mileage, amount, etc of every drop of fuel I’ve ever put in this vehicle. It also has partial notes of when tyres or other maintenance items were done.

Tempa spare wheel and jack included. Some other accessories will also be included at the right purchase price of the vehicle: Genuine Volvo aero roof bars (rebadged Thule Wingbar), Travall thick rubber boot mat.

Price

Given the condition, Polestar, spoiler, included accessories and excellent tyres, as well as having been just main-dealer serviced we think that £9250 is a fair asking price. There are cheaper V70s for sale but you might have to spend hundreds just to put some decent tyres on and have it serviced, or need a cambelt before long.

Car is located near Todmorden.

New pictures will follow this weekend, please see my other thread for previous pictures.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 16:03   #2
I-S
Premier Member

Lots of pictures:

NSF:

NSR:

OSF:

OSR:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 20:22   #3
I-S
Premier Member

Price reduced, now asking £8950
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 16:56   #4
I-S
Premier Member

£8490 now
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 21:23   #5
scootmuldoon

Thumbs up

Must be one of the best adverts I've seen, Very informative.

Pity it's not an R Design model or I'd be looking to buy it as it looks a great example.

I've been looking for a nice V70 for ages now but so far had no luck finding the right one.

Good luck with the sale.
scootmuldoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scootmuldoon For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 14:51   #6
I-S
Premier Member

And now £7950
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 17:40   #7
I-S
Premier Member

Sold...