Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DICE Recommendation

Views : 1822

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2018, 14:37   #11
hancym
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Basically anything that needs software installing is dealer only.
As for what it can do, the list is too long for me to into as it can be model, model year and engine specific.
Probably better for you to list what you'd ideally like from it.....
XC60 2010
Basically all those little things that can otherwise be done on other manufacturer's car without visiting the dealer. Elec. window re-calibration. Heated seat temperature, rear view mirror night tint, basic engine diags and any necessary basic tweaks.
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 14:57   #12
Grimble
Grimble

I got my headlight switch set 'correctly' by my indy. It was £25 for the software and nothing else as it was done at the same time as a service.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 14:59   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
XC60 2010
Basically all those little things that can otherwise be done on other manufacturer's car without visiting the dealer. Elec. window re-calibration. Heated seat temperature, rear view mirror night tint, basic engine diags and any necessary basic tweaks.
On mine and others I've adjusted seat temps and done window calibration but not done an XC60.
I would describe the engine diagnostics as very in depth but bear in mind that it's designed for technicians.
Basic tweaks isn't specific so can't say.
There are members in East Anglia with Dice and Vida so maybe post a general request for a demo.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 19:53   #14
1monkey600

On my Belgian MY 16 xc70 we eventually found out (after several weeks talking to customer services and Sweden techs) that the only way to get the secondary speed display on the TFT dash (i.e the only way I could get MPH to show up without a full reset of the dash to UK spec) was via switches within ViDA rather than software download. I would have thought that things like light switch settings would be similar, rather than needing software download.

With my MY16 car I have no option but to visit the dealer even for simple VIDA stuff but I must say they have been pretty reasonable on the software / VIDA side of things.

1st visit-25 euro +vat to sort out my MPH issue (default in Belgium is not to have it available when you twist the stalk). Took about 15-20 mins.
2nd visit - new software for towbar (16.50 euro)and RTTI for nav (18.50euro) + installation (7.50euro +22.50euro) i.e 79 euro all-in inc VAT. Took about an hour all in but the tech just connected it all up and then went back to working on another car while it downloaded, and then charged me accordingly.

As you can see the software cost is actually quite low so the dealers mentioned in other posts must be charging full labour rates when the car is just sitting there connected to the battery charger and VIDA, while quietly downloading.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 19:57   #15
XCmacca

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I've just spoken to the Stealership in relation to the software for the trailer module and asked them about turning the main beam off in switch position "0" at the same time whilst they are doing it. They tell me it's a £96 for the lights software update alone!

This leads me to wondering what can actually be done with a personal version of VIDA/DICE. This was one of the very things I wanted to do to save money. Are you able to tell me exactly what changes I might be able to do to the car and what I can't. I know that software and the like I can't but I am wondering how useful this may be given that Volvo possible have locked their "Brand" so tightly that perhaps very little can be done with out parting with £130 per hour labour charges.
Try another dealer, one quoted me £98, then my nearest quoted me £57, I asked for any caravan club discount and he knocked 5% off
I have also just ordered a dice to turn off my head lights, I used http://www.cardiagtool.co.uk/2014d-l...for-volvo.html
Proper company, discount code: EASTER 6% OFF =£58.55
XCmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 20:40   #16
hancym
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCmacca View Post
Try another dealer, one quoted me £98, then my nearest quoted me £57, I asked for any caravan club discount and he knocked 5% off
I have also just ordered a dice to turn off my head lights, I used http://www.cardiagtool.co.uk/2014d-l...for-volvo.html
Proper company, discount code: EASTER 6% OFF =£58.55
Have you used them before? That site is still a "Chinese bloke" masquerading as a UK company:
F32, Baohu Building, Longgang
Shenzhen
Guangdong
China
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 21:45   #17
XCmacca

Talking

Quote:
Have you used them before? That site is still a "Chinese bloke" masquerading as a UK company:
F32, Baohu Building, Longgang
Shenzhen
Guangdong
China
To be fair ain't they all Chinese copies? True Volvo diagnostics would be thousands to purchase
Been dispatched from a UK warehouse and arriving tomorrow by Royal mail tracked, I used them for a Renault clip, all good. Quite experienced with a number of car diagnostics i.e Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Vauxhall and Toyotabut Volvo Vida is all new to me, every day is a learning curve
XCmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 21:40   #18
mdmd

To my knowledge, the list of things that can be done in an XC-60 MY2018 is short: Nothing.

Am I right?
mdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 21:51   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
To my knowledge, the list of things that can be done in an XC-60 MY2018 is short: Nothing.

Am I right?
If you're talking about the latest model of XC60, no Vida won't work.
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 11:24   #20
Yorkie2020

Default VIDA for post 2014 Cars

Hi All,

New to Volvo and the forum - just collected a MY16 Volvo XC60 R-Design AWD. I like to tinker - but after installing VIDA 2014D, I don't think it stretches to my model year.

Is this correct, and is there a work-around?
Yorkie2020 is offline   Reply With Quote