Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 not starting

Views : 1600

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2018, 20:15   #1
ryanfmag

Default V60 not starting

I have a '14 V60 D2 69000miles, have it 5 months.
All great until last week. Drove the car one afternoon, no issues, parked it up, went back to it an hour later, hit start button it made two loud clicks (almost like the starter was trying to turn over the engine) lights on the dash went a bit crazy, 'check engine' light came on. After several attempts and different variations of getting out and locking it and trying again, giving it some time, still nothing.
Battery!...no, its perfect, Alternator!...no, its putting out correct voltage, Starter!...again no as I got a new one and it hasn't cured it. Checked all leads from engine and starter etc, belts on alternator...all good. Heres the thing, when you put jump leads on it, it starts! Albeit, not great...the lights keep flashing on dash and it conks out eventually but after a few attempts it runs perfect, no flashing lights or conking out.
Can anyone help? Bare in mind it has been on the computer showing no faults.
ryanfmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 20:26   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfmag View Post
I have a '14 V60 D2 69000miles, have it 5 months.
All great until last week. Drove the car one afternoon, no issues, parked it up, went back to it an hour later, hit start button it made two loud clicks (almost like the starter was trying to turn over the engine) lights on the dash went a bit crazy, 'check engine' light came on. After several attempts and different variations of getting out and locking it and trying again, giving it some time, still nothing.
Battery!...no, its perfect, Alternator!...no, its putting out correct voltage, Starter!...again no as I got a new one and it hasn't cured it. Checked all leads from engine and starter etc, belts on alternator...all good. Heres the thing, when you put jump leads on it, it starts! Albeit, not great...the lights keep flashing on dash and it conks out eventually but after a few attempts it runs perfect, no flashing lights or conking out.
Can anyone help? Bare in mind it has been on the computer showing no faults.
where did you clip on the jumper leads ? If you did not put them directly across the battery terminals check the built in fuse in the red + lead by the battery terminal.. If you clipped the leads directly across the battery terminals it can not be anything but a weak battery . The system is not getting the full battery current for some reason .
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 20:47   #3
ryanfmag

Thanks for your response but I'm not 100% sure what you mean, I clipped the jump leads directly to the terminals as I normally would on any car. I drove 55 miles from work after getting it started yesterday with no problems at all, and left straight to my local mechanic, took my wifes car today and the mechanic phoned and said they're having same problems and can't keep it running. I'm at a loss, he's saying could it be the ECU. Bare in mind this guy is not the best at fault finding!
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 20:56   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response but I'm not 100% sure what you mean, I clipped the jump leads directly to the terminals as I normally would on any car. I drove 55 miles from work after getting it started yesterday with no problems at all, and left straight to my local mechanic, took my wifes car today and the mechanic phoned and said they're having same problems and can't keep it running. I'm at a loss, he's saying could it be the ECU. Bare in mind this guy is not the best at fault finding!
Its either the battery or the alternator , cant say much more without doing some tests ..
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 18:44   #5
Jensencars

As clan says,,,
I have had this before where battery seems to test out ok but collapses when heavy current draw is applied, when you try a jump start the faulty battery could be pulling the jumper battery down as well.I would suggest getting a load test on the battery or swapping it with a good substitute to prove one way or the other
Jensencars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 21:47   #6
ryanfmag

Hey, my mechanic put a new battery & alternator on the car today and guess what...still doing the same thing, new starter was put on yesterday as well. Is there someone out there that has had this problem before or can help? Please
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 22:01   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Bad earth?
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 22:05   #8
ryanfmag

Not according my to my mechanic
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 22:23   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hey, my mechanic put a new battery & alternator on the car today and guess what...still doing the same thing, new starter was put on yesterday as well. Is there someone out there that has had this problem before or can help? Please
Oh dear you need to take it elsewhere he can't keep guessing like that and spending your money , he needs to diagnose what's wrong before doing anything ..
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 22:45   #10
ryanfmag

I'm thinking the same, I'm going through an extremely busy time at work and can't a feckin chance, and my wife going mad cos I'm using her car! At least it's reliable...