Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking brake

Views : 922

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2015, 21:56   #1
NigelDay
Premier Member

Default Parking brake

My new XC60 is my first car to have this. I park on the flat on rough stone and there is no chance the car would ever move. It's also wild, windy and wet where we live. So, I have got into the habit of not applying the (manual) handbrake. If not used for a week, I have experienced the handbrake sticking (OK, it easily releases as you move off).
Is it OK to leave the electric parking brake off when at home ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 22:03   #2
volvorocks
Rodney

I don't see any reason why leaving it off would cause issues, so long as the car is left in gear. You say the road is flat, so there should be no strain on the gearbox. However myself personally I always apply it. My old D5 sometimes was not used for a few weeks and there was a bit of a clunk when setting off. Never had any issues. The main problem I found after little use was vibration and steering wheel wobble under medium to hardish braking as the discs rust very quickly.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 22:08   #3
GJB
Premier Member

I think it is a case of use it or lose it ,as I come from the XC90 and if you do not use it when you do want it it will not work also it takes the strain off the running gear.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 22:09   #4
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I don't see any reason why leaving it off would cause issues, so long as the car is left in gear. You say the road is flat, so there should be no strain on the gearbox. However myself personally I always apply it. My old D5 sometimes was not used for a few weeks and there was a bit of a clunk when setting off. Never had any issues. The main problem I found after little use was vibration and steering wheel wobble under medium to hardish braking as the discs rust very quickly.

Regards
Oh yes, the rusting brake discs. My wife's Panda Cross suffers from this and (to my annoyance) failed an MOT two years ago with an expensive "new discs required guv" comment. Now I take it for an Italian tune-up the night before the MOT. We have some good hills up here and it does the trick.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 16:09   #5
richardcurson

Default Sticking handbrake

Just experienced this for the first time today, it was so stuck that when I tried to unstick it by moving off it was solid, eased off and then “rocked” it from D toR which eventually unstuck it. Is there anything that a complete novice to the xc60 could do to sort it or is it a trip to the garage.
richardcurson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 18:04   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcurson View Post
Just experienced this for the first time today, it was so stuck that when I tried to unstick it by moving off it was solid, eased off and then “rocked” it from D toR which eventually unstuck it. Is there anything that a complete novice to the xc60 could do to sort it or is it a trip to the garage.
Is the problem the electric part of the parking brake set-up, or is it more likely to be just the pads themselves?

My V70 has an electric brake and so the only experience I have is of this one car, but removing, cleaning and lubricating the rear pads and slide pins is no more difficult than the same operation on a car with a regular handbrake.

In fact, if anything on a Volvo it's easier because Volvo handbrakes actually use brake shoes within drums that are integral to the rear discs. Servicing or replacing those rear shoes is not for the faint-hearted - from bitter experience with both our S70 and our old S90, getting the disc/drums off is a challenge, especially if the shoes have delaminated, getting new shoes to fit and cables adjusted and to work properly can be a total nightmare.

If you're having problems with the electric parking brake then it's actually quite simple to strip, clean and re-install the pads. The only time you'd need to worry about the electrics part would be either if you we're fitting new discs and / or pads, or, if you'd activated the brake whilst the pads were out of the caliper. Under these circumstances you'd then need to wind in the electric motors.

But on the basis that electro-mechanical systems give the best service when they are used and kept cleaned and properly lubricated, I think it's best to use the electric brake as much as possible, and perform a little preventative maintenance from time to time.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 07:58   #7
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
My new XC60 is my first car to have this. I park on the flat on rough stone and there is no chance the car would ever move. It's also wild, windy and wet where we live. So, I have got into the habit of not applying the (manual) handbrake. If not used for a week, I have experienced the handbrake sticking (OK, it easily releases as you move off).
Is it OK to leave the electric parking brake off when at home ?
Perhaps you need to consider disengaging and re-engaging the parking brake every couple of days as a preventative measure?

It would be a bit like someone with a dodgy back visiting the osteopath occasionally just to keep things straight and thereby preventing any "everything's jammed up and I'm in agony" crises.

Keeping the parking brake working would, however, be a lot cheaper than visiting an osteopath, however.