Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Don’t buy a XC40 P8

Views : 2407

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2022, 22:21   #11
Stewart1359

I have only had the car for 1 year and have been complaining both to Volvo and the Volvo dealer I bought the car from since December which was a month after I bought it. The car has been at at my local dealer 5 or 6 times and it is still not repaired. They have never tried replacing a part. Every day I use the the car I never know what it is going to do. Would you like to pay £63,000 for this kind of service. When I started complaining I was told that it was not a problem that was know to Volvo. When ask for a solution I suggested exchanging the car for a similar model Volvo claim that this problem is in every XC40 and other models. Funny how it goes from unheard to common throughout the Volvo range. I had a V90 which had the older system and was a great car. Volvo and the dealer think this is acceptable. I don’t and don’t think that if I have problems I should just reset or reconnect my phone when I get in my car so I can listen to my music or use my phone. I also think that if I want to listen to the radio it should work when I want to use it. I also don’t think that it is safe that there is not sound from the indicators as the indicators don’t always go off when I turn and can still be on and if I don’t see to turn it off it could lead to an accident.
This is why I would recommend not buying a Volvo.
Stewart1359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 08:47   #12
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

I totally understand your feelings, very annoying.

If you are regularly having Carplay issues have you tried a new Apple cable ? (the one supplied by Apple - not any other version).

For the sound when it happens do the reset and it will fix the issue you have, it's not do it once and never happen again, the system just seems to go crazy every now and again.

With regards to bluetooth, is it possibly the phone ? (i have a 2022 SE and it connects no problem when I get in)

For the sound automatically playing, the next update 2.5 actually seems to address this issue. Until then if it does not play, just press play on the screen.

I would contact the dealership and arrange to get this update put in by them, rather than waiting for Over the Air to come out.

https://www.volvocars.com/ie/support...ectric/2021w22

Updates in software V2.5
Improvements to reduce the risk of not being able to open the car with the remote key.
Care Key support that makes it possible for the owner of the car to limit the maximum speed of the car. More information about Care Key can be found in the owner’s manual.
A button for removing a paired device is added to the menu for pairing devices.
Apple CarPlay bug fixes and stability improvements.
Google Assistant support for SiriusXM added for subscribers to the service in North America.
FM/DAB radio bug fixes and functional improvements. The last selected radio station will start when vehicle is started again.
Interior backlight intensity has been fine-tuned.
Solution to a problem where the charging cable doesn’t unlock after charging
Improvements to the Range Assistant estimations. More information about Range Assistant can be found in the owner’s manual.
Drivetrain optimisation adjustments.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 09:58   #13
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1359 View Post
I have only had the car for 1 year and have been complaining both to Volvo and the Volvo dealer I bought the car from since December which was a month after I bought it. The car has been at at my local dealer 5 or 6 times and it is still not repaired. They have never tried replacing a part. Every day I use the the car I never know what it is going to do. Would you like to pay £63,000 for this kind of service. When I started complaining I was told that it was not a problem that was know to Volvo. When ask for a solution I suggested exchanging the car for a similar model Volvo claim that this problem is in every XC40 and other models. Funny how it goes from unheard to common throughout the Volvo range. I had a V90 which had the older system and was a great car. Volvo and the dealer think this is acceptable. I don’t and don’t think that if I have problems I should just reset or reconnect my phone when I get in my car so I can listen to my music or use my phone. I also think that if I want to listen to the radio it should work when I want to use it. I also don’t think that it is safe that there is not sound from the indicators as the indicators don’t always go off when I turn and can still be on and if I don’t see to turn it off it could lead to an accident.
This is why I would recommend not buying a Volvo.

As I said, complaining on here isnt going to get your car fixed. You need to speak to another dealer.

They cannot simply turn around and say 'its a common issue' or 'we cant do anything'

You say they haven't replaced anything yet?? Surely that would be the next step if they have fully reset the car. You DO NOT have to accept a fault vehicle, and whilst I feel your pain and frustration, you need to get on top of this with them a demand its fixed.

It could be something as simple as the other suggestions other members have made, a cable??

If it were me, I'd go to the dealer and ask to speak to the dealer principle, tell him how frustrated you are at spending so much for a car that clearly has issues and ask what he is going to do to resolve this for you.

Ask them to get Volvo Technical involved, if they say no, ask why not. If you have all of this documented I'd say that from what you describe you have a product that is not fit for purpose, so there are avenues open to you.

I sincerely hope you get it fixed.
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 11:47   #14
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

You might want to have a look at Skoda Octavia forums in the latest model section, an absolute horror story of electrical gremlins.

If they've made progress then there's every chance Volvo will do as well, understand your gripe btw I would be locked & loaded on a 10k car doing this tbh.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 12:53   #15
Stewart1359

The iPhone is a 13 pro max which is newer than the car. When the problems happen I can have been driving for miles and then suddenly no sound from anything music by Bluetooth, Applecar or the radio, if the music is playing from my phone by Bluetooth the phone and the car show it as playing but no sound from the speakers. If the phone cuts out in the middle of a call the phone and the car both show the call is continuing and the person I am talking to can hear me but I cannot hear them. If the phone is connected by a brand new apple cable and the problem happens it will not play and you can press all the buttons you want. Do you think that it is right for the satnav to come out of different speakers? The only way to solve the problem at the time would be to stop driving get out of the car lock it and then open it and see if it works.Why would I want to reset my system nearly every time I use the car. Would you accept this? Volvo finance don’t think that this is acceptable and are looking into it
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 13:17   #16
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1359 View Post
The iPhone is a 13 pro max which is newer than the car. When the problems happen I can have been driving for miles and then suddenly no sound from anything music by Bluetooth, Applecar or the radio, if the music is playing from my phone by Bluetooth the phone and the car show it as playing but no sound from the speakers. If the phone cuts out in the middle of a call the phone and the car both show the call is continuing and the person I am talking to can hear me but I cannot hear them. If the phone is connected by a brand new apple cable and the problem happens it will not play and you can press all the buttons you want. Do you think that it is right for the satnav to come out of different speakers? The only way to solve the problem at the time would be to stop driving get out of the car lock it and then open it and see if it works.Why would I want to reset my system nearly every time I use the car. Would you accept this? Volvo finance don’t think that this is acceptable and are looking into it

I had a similar thing on my Sensus unit in an 18 reg, for some reason the whole thing would mute for no reason or the carplay would either remain unavailable and also block the usb stick from being read as well.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2022, 17:36   #17
KeithR56

Quote:
The car was registered in January 20 and will turn 2 years in January.
This thread doesn't make any sense to me. I suspect someone may be taking the p**s:

The OP, Stewart1359, has so far said that his car is a P8 (EV) on a 20 plate, registered in January 2020.

Production of P8 models commenced 1st October 2020 and finished in the summer of 2021. So Stewart's P8 can't be on a 20 plate, nor could it have been registered in January 2020.

Cars on a 20 plate were registered between March 2020 and August 2020. So if his car was registered in January 2020, it won't be on a 20 plate. It would be on a 69 plate.

A car registered in January 2020 will be 3 years old in January, not 2 years old as stated.

Call me pedantic, but I find it very hard to believe that someone doesn't know what type of car they're driving, what registration plate it's on, or how old it is.

Would you like to clarify any of this Stewart?
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 07:41   #18
Stewart1359

Default Sorry for the confusion

Sorry the car will turn 2 year old on January 23. I have just booked it in for its first service. The car is a p8 full electric awd first edition. The car would be registered January 21.
I have just done the latest software update yesterday.
To answer some more of the comments the car was purchased from Paul Rigby Volvo in Stourbridge who have been absolutely useless. I live in Paisley Scotland so I have been using my local Volvo dealer who have been great. Volvo customer services and Volvo tech have both been involved for months but are hopeless. Volvo have are being kept up to date by my local dealer but don’t want to help find a permanent solution.
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 08:36   #19
KeithR56

When I purchased my XC40 in January this year, I asked the salesman about having wireless charging and Apple Car Play fitted. He advised me not to bother if I had a late model iPhone because they have lots of problems. So your problem could be compatibility between your phone and the car’s software, especially as your phone is newer than the car. Volvo can’t be expected to allow for software that Apple might add to their phones in the future, but the updates should have it covered.

I have a MY22 B4. I don’t know if my infotainment system is any different from yours. I use Bluetooth to connect my iPhone 12 Pro (which it doesn’t always find 100% of the time), but I have all of the music I want to play on a USB stick so no connection problems there. I very rarely use my phone in the car anyway. I’m of that generation who wouldn’t miss it if I didn’t have it.

The dealerships are only as good as the people who work there. As has already been suggested you could try another if there is another near you to try. They might have someone on their team who’s into all this tech and up for the challenge.

Finally, if you haven’t already, you could try asking Volvo using the “contact us” feature on the phone app. I used it when I couldn’t get my car to receive text messages and I found them to be extremely helpful.