Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Annoyed Am I? Kerbie Strikes Again......

Views : 1359

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 16:16   #1
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Default How Annoyed Am I? Kerbie Strikes Again......

I've just washed the Mouthy Blonde and noticed a big dent in the rear bumper which wasn't there last time I washed her

I find it infuriating - I look after my car as best I can and am very careful with her. Last time I washed her there was a big blue mark on one side (it'll come out with polish) and now a dent

I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't on a panel.....

I blame Kerbie - the fiend who steals my car in the dead of the night, kerbs her, puts blue streaks on her, turns TRACS on just before I race and has now obviously taken up denting her

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 17:08   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

Are you sure it was not the bad nephew of Scooby Doo (Scrapy Denty Doo)?

I too have a dislike(?) of the people who do this type of damage and do not even leave a slip of paper to say 'Sorry' (even if they don't leave contact details).

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 17:29   #3
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Sorry to hear about your mishaps. At least you haven't sufferd what I did. We live opposite a quiet country pub. One morning we found 3 cars keyed and my previously immaculate Italian 240 had been danced on denting the sunroof on the lip and scratching the bonnet. Even they my best friend does bodywork it is a lot of hassle and not without costs and favours incurred. Local plod did actually come out but are more interested in going out on an untaxed vehicle campaign and speeding campaigns!
Another time I had a mirror and two rear lights smashed by a herd of cows being moved by a local joskin who was too tight or lazy to use a wagon. More expense!

Mike

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 20:25   #4
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Lol, ahhh so Kerbie and Scrappy Dent Doo must be related!!

Sorry to hear your story Mike, I'm thankful nothing like that's happened to me....

Still, it's all fixable in the end
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 23:11   #5
Viking V40
Still hanging in there

Unhappy

Poor Volvo, poor you

I hate this kind of thing. I've returned to a Volvo with a bonnet keyed. The worst was a van in a car park around from the house where I used to park. The van had a short step mounted out from the rear bumper. One morning the must have reversed the step into the rear quarter panel of the Volvo I had at the time, putting a considerable crease in her side - I was heart-broken. No apology and instant denial when I questioned him. The local tow-rags used to bounce the back of the car up and down too by standing on the rear bumper.

I'm at the point of being paranoid now. I would rather park the car at the furthest empty space in a car park or walk for ages rather than pitch up in a busy car park.

When I go away with my work I hate parking her in airport car parks or in company yards. (I'm the one you see crouching down and sighting along her flanks checking for door dings, scratches and dents).
Viking V40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 23:21   #6
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

It makes you mad sometimes doesn't it?

I know where you're coming from Viking.....I've got two cars, the other is an old runaround. If I were sensible I would drive the runaround all the time to stop things like this happening. But Mouthy is a car and meant to be driven and enjoyed so it's a fine line between the two.

At the end of the day, although infuriating, it is all repairable
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:16   #7
peteS40

Yes these things sometimes happen just by accident, everyone picks up the odd scratch here and there, it is unavoidable unfortunately.

But then there all the stupid people out there who cause these "accidents" because they really don't - or can't - think. On a couple of occasions I've had times when I've actually been in the car and someone has parked next to me, too close, opened door right into my car. Fortunately on both occasions no damage, and when they saw I was there and about to have a RIGHT go at them they have apologised. But it's because they don't think. On one occasion the person parked SLAP BANG next to me and there were about a million free spaces in the car park! "Why park right here?!" I asked, "err dunno really" came the gormless response from society-underclass's no.1 member.

But the worst sort of damage is that which Mike describes: entirely preventable, and completely delibrate. The police will see it as a "victimless crime" because of course everyone is insured, but the reality is far from it as many people love their cars and rightly so, especially if they have spent a long time restoring an old classic. Does anyone recall the story in the news a little while back, I can't remember the details but I think somebody's unique collection of very rare, expensive cars was completely trashed by vandals? Sickening and heartbreaking I found that, more so because you knew the scum would get away with it....

[right - thanks for listening, think I'll climb down off the soapbox now!]

Pete
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:38   #8
JsR

Default Attracted like a magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS40
Yes these things sometimes happen just by accident, everyone picks up the odd scratch here and there, it is unavoidable unfortunately.

But then there all the stupid people out there who cause these "accidents" because they really don't - or can't - think. On a couple of occasions I've had times when I've actually been in the car and someone has parked next to me, too close, opened door right into my car. Fortunately on both occasions no damage, and when they saw I was there and about to have a RIGHT go at them they have apologised. But it's because they don't think. On one occasion the person parked SLAP BANG next to me and there were about a million free spaces in the car park! "Why park right here?!" I asked, "err dunno really" came the gormless response from society-underclass's no.1 member.

But the worst sort of damage is that which Mike describes: entirely preventable, and completely delibrate. The police will see it as a "victimless crime" because of course everyone is insured, but the reality is far from it as many people love their cars and rightly so, especially if they have spent a long time restoring an old classic. Does anyone recall the story in the news a little while back, I can't remember the details but I think somebody's unique collection of very rare, expensive cars was completely trashed by vandals? Sickening and heartbreaking I found that, more so because you knew the scum would get away with it....

Pete
Reminds me of when I was in college (in the sixties). One of the guys in our class turned up early in his fathers BIG old Austin. He managed to HIT the only other car in the car park when trying to park next to it! Never lived it down.
JsR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:28   #9
sarge
Master Member

"had been danced on denting the sunroof on the lip and scratching the bonnet".

It happens here too. I know of several instances within recennt months where drunken louts in Fort William have decided to clamber and walk over people's cars - including one a couple of weeks ago when a guy with a brand new Focus ST (I think that's the one with the T5 engine) which he'd just collected from the Midlands was the victim of such an assault. I was mad for him, even though it was a ford!

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 21:12   #10
LankyTim
Missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS40
Does anyone recall the story in the news a little while back, I can't remember the details but I think somebody's unique collection of very rare, expensive cars was completely trashed by vandals? Sickening and heartbreaking I found that, more so because you knew the scum would get away with it....

Pete
Wasnt it a collection of classic jaguars in storage that got hot wired and "banger raced" inside their garage?

My blood ran cold when I heard about it. How could anyone do such a thing??

Apparently they had been restored and were in pristine condition.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote