Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking of an XC90...

Views : 876

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 09:19   #1
Thekilt

Default Thinking of an XC90...

We currently have a 2016 V40 (wife’s Car) and a V50 (mine) but with the impending additional child coming, thinking of getting a larger car for the Wife.
I previously had a V70 2001, she didn’t really like that and she does like the SUVs, so wondering about an XC90 for her.
Thing is she will not be doing much mileage, and I’m concerned about getting a diesel (mainly DPF) without doing many long distances or dual carriageway blasts (no motorways near us).
My current "wants" are:
- Manual
- Heated Seats
- Would like petrol but very rare

Everything else I’m not too fussed about. We currently have a 5 year old, soon to be 6, a dog and with a baby coming soon, worried about the V40 being a bit small if all of us are in the car. The rear 2 seats in the XC90 would entertain the 5 year old, and still leave plenty of space in the boot especially if we only have 1 seat up.

Any recommendations on DPF on shorter journeys, or anything else to recommend/look out for?
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 09:26   #2
Dastardly Diesel

The DPF equipped models are pretty reliable but not infallible. Also, thing of those around you having to breathe fumes from a cold, ineffieintly running diesel.

You're left with finding a petrol model, or a Euro 3 version. The Euro 3 163 was underpowered, even more expensive to tax, and they're all pretty ancient now. I'd try and find one of the 2.5t petrol models in your position but in your position I'd also be evaluating whether a 2.25 tonne 7 seat SUV is the best choices of vehicle for that sort of motoring.

Good luck,
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 10:23   #3
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Try a (2011 onwards) Kia Sportage 2.0-litre petrol.

XC90 are expensive to own and run...especially a 2.5T
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 10:34   #4
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Try a (2011 onwards) Kia Sportage 2.0-litre petrol.

XC90 are expensive to own and run...especially a 2.5T
We looked at the sportage before, and it wasnt much bigger than our old Kia ceed just jacked up and didnt have the 7 seats. My parents used to have the Sorento which is bigger but didnt like it to be honest.
When we first had our little girl, we had an astra, then outgrew that with buggy etc, so went for a Zaffira but i hated that thing. maybe have to go for something like a Ford Galaxy, but still hate the people carrier things. Wanted to keep it volvo really. I was showing her newer V70/XC70s too but most are diesels with very few petrol, and if there were sme petrol ones, because they were post 2006, the tax is rediculous.
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 10:49   #5
Friendly

My 2013 XC90 is used mainly for short commutes/shopping etc. It does get long runs every few weeks, especially when towing the caravan. In nearly 3 years I have not had an issue relating to dpf.

They are a great family car. I am very happy with it but as others have said they are not cheap to run.

Fuel consumption is poor on my day to day usage (Mid 20s).

I doubt that I would have bought the XC90 if I didn’t want 7 seats and something big to tow the caravan. Although now that I have it, I wouldn’t want to change. Can’t think of anything else in the price range that would be better.
Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Friendly For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 22:37   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

As has been said XC90's are reliable but not cheap cars to run - but if you need 7 seats unless you go for a people carrier type thing it's probably one of the better choices. And very safe.

Have you looked at an XC60?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 23:17   #7
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Tannaton is correct, if you need space go for a people carrier. Replaced our MK2 Galaxy with an XC90 - the Galaxy sucked up our family of 5 and 3 dogs; we could remove the 2nd row middle seat so the dogs could roam in the car - I know not the best in terms of safety but worked for us and the kids loved having the dogs around them on long journeys.
Bottom line - the XC90 has no where near the internal volume - fortunately the kids are grown up and we can still all get in the Volvo to go out for a run together when they are home but with the dogs in the back there is no room for luggage - plus the rear 2 seats are cramped for adults.
IMHO - if you have a growing family get a Ford Galaxy; kills your libido but let the wife drive and enjoy the view - I found this to be the least stressful way to travel!

Last edited by XJSDriver; Apr 28th, 2020 at 23:22.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 15:05   #8
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Not sure about the Galaxy, but you can buy the S-Max 2.5T which has virtually the same 2.5T engine as the XC90, but in a slightly more powerful 217bhp form..... sounds like a winner to me.

S-Max drives very well for what it is, and looks quite slick too imho.

Tune it up.

Last edited by T5R92011; Apr 29th, 2020 at 15:07.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 18:15   #9
Thekilt

Thanks all for your comments. I’ve had a look in autotrader at the smax and it’s too small really (no boot space when the rear seats up) and also looks like both need to be up at the same time. Looking at photos online, the XC90 looks like it has a half decent space between the rear 2 seats and the door for say a buggy, and you can raise the seats individually which is a winner.
The galaxy looks ok, and seems to have space behind the individual rear seats. The outside looks ok, but the interior is still lacking some finesse. I know the xc90 is a bit dated but looks a lot better built.
I’ll be looking for one with Bluetooth ideally too. We were looking at the Ford Focus when we bought the V40, and went for the V40 purely because if felt a lot higher quality inside and just felt more premium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 20:15   #10
Whyman
Premier Member

If you look at the Galaxy avoid the Powershi*t auto like the plague.

Very poor gearbox and rebuilds are £2.5k. Had mine done under warranty but had another problem that cost £1.4k to fix.

Manual is OK.