Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

gearbox oil change

Views : 12421

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 12:20   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Hello Rob ,
whats a FL/FE ?
Syntrax is an Extreme Pressure Hypoid gear oil , Transaxles which have a Hypoid final drive ( in line engines which drive the wheels at the engine end ) and the oil is also used for the Gears have a special bronze syncro ring to work with this very slippery oil , the oil has additives which attack standard syncro rings . A "normal" transverse engine front wheel drive Transaxle gearbox with the usual helical final drive uses a different less extreme oil and has appropriate "standard" syncro rings ..
The best oil to use in these Renault derived gearboxes is volvos own fully synthetic , it too can work wonders with a baulky gearchange if the oil has been contaminated ..

This isnt new information it has always been advised never to use a hypoid oil in a non hypoid transaxle .. of any make
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 16:59   #12
desolation

Well that's exactly why I did not buy Syntrax

Anyone I talked to did recommend me the TAF-X though, it may be expensive but it should be a very very good oil. I don't know what the volvo's fully synthetic specs are, but I expect it to just be a rebadged Shell/BP/Castrol/etc ...
desolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 23:37   #13
RCSH
G-BOAF

Volvo FL/FE trucks. Your right about the oil though, I've done a change on mine using syntranx and the gear change doesn't feel as good now. Going to change back to volvo's own again. just strange that the truck boxes like it.
RCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 09:21   #14
desolation

Anyone know what diameter of copper washer I need for the drain plug ?
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 11:35   #15
desolation

didn't even need a crush washer, just had to wrap some teflon tape around the plug.

manual did say 3.4 litres for the box, but I only managed to got in 2.8 or something before it started overflowing. and I did clean it out with a oil system cleaner, so it was completely empty
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 21:15   #16
oko1200

Exclamation s40 volvo dizel 2010 gearbox oil change

Recently I purchased volvoS40 diesel 2010
the Car has 258K that the vehicle is a taxi.
Vehicle has difficulty Car leaps forward and stammered and shaky early drive mostly steep ON D DROVE AND ALSO ON 1 GEAR MANUAL
after 2-5 sec it goes normal and can hear trasmission changing smooth.
problem replacing only the opening of the primary driveven when temp. is normal
I was looking where to add transmission fluid and found I realized that there was no oil gauge shows the oil level and condition and whether I change oil Are there chances of drenching less slip? If possible at ll to do it myself? What oil to buy what model?
any tips any trick to avoid gear replacment
oko1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 22:07   #17
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolation View Post
Since my M5D box on my 1.9TD is due for an oil change, i have a few questions

Does anyone have experience with running a cleaning product in it before the change? Since the previous owner already should have changed the oil 20-30k ago it shows it's time, and I thought I'd put in a flushing product so the box is really clean before I put in new oil

Does anyone have experience with oil additives? It's an old box, and I want it to last as long as possible. I saw cheap additives from Wynn's that cost about 15EUR, but I also saw expensive ceramic ones that cost like 40-45EUR. Is this worth the cash?

And as last question : what oil should I best put in?
Gearbox oil is not like engine oil as it will not form sludge or varnish, so there is no need to try cleaning traces of old oil out (In a real bad case, like serious water ingress, I would do a double oil change with a few hundered miles between changes to clean any emulsified crud). There is no approved cleaner and I would be seriously concerned that using one meant for an engine or auto box might damage the oil seals.

The two box oils I have used and think are real good is the Volvo GL4 75W80 box oil and the Liqui Moly GL4+ 75W90 box oil. The Volvo oil will give a slightly better shift quality in the cold (If you use a viscosity curve calculator like Widemans with the actual viscosity figures for each oil and it will show the difference). Never use a GL5 oil in a box that is listed for
GL4, as it is not reverse compatible.

I use the LM oil because of heavy horse box towing in the summer and also use a half dose of Moly box additive:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/m...Protect_EN.pdf

(Lubriguard or BG might have a similar product, but if you do feel obliged to use an oil additive, it is best to use one made by a real engine or gearbox oil company).

Never put oil additives designed for an engine in a gearbox, it could cause the synchros to fail or long term corrosion.

Castrol Syntrax has a bad reputation for causing corrosion when used in old boxes that have some parts made of "Yellow metals".

For some strange reason the oil finders are not correct about the box oil capacity, as it only seems to be about 2 liters.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Jan 28th, 2014 at 22:46.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 16:54   #18
Richardkimber

Default Manual M56 gearbox oil renew.

Can anybody direct me to a procedure for changing the oil please.

Specifically I am looking for filling, ie is it just up to the fill hole or, up to the fill hole then remove X ml ?

Just done the bevel and differential box oil changes on my XC70 and both require to fill up to the fill hole, but then remove different amounts.
Past 95: 940 2.3 LPT Manual Estate 178k mls:
Past 96: 850 AWD, 86: 340 (my 1st Volvo)
Richardkimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 16:43   #19
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolation View Post
Anyone know what diameter of copper washer I need for the drain plug ?
It's the same size as the engine oil plug washer.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 21:31   #20
v40alex
I do like a V40

Guide for the M56 gearbox is here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=210809

Fill it till it comes out the hole, no need to remove any oil. It's supposed to take 2.1 litres but I only got just under 2 back into mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post: