Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

URGENT! S40 T4 B4194T TURBO maintenance

Views : 5650

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 23:10   #1
ElGreco

Default URGENT! S40 T4 B4194T TURBO maintenance

Hi,

Today I got my turbo removed by volvo official enginneers and took it for service in turbodynamic.

I would kindly like to ask you the following questions:

1. How can i find parts for my turbo if needed to be replaced? Eg impeller...
2. I was asked by volvo engineer to ask the 'turbodynamic' engineer, what kind of spray cleaner they use for cleaning the circuit/hoses of turbo, intercooler etc Unfortunately turbodynamics knew nothing about such spray cleaner... Any ideas?
3. Should the hoses connected to turbo, oil separator etc be cleaned and how can this be done? Or should i simply ask to install new ones?
4. I asked volvo to clean my Idle control valve. They will probably use carb spray cleaner and not throttle body cleaner... Is that ok?

My car is year 2000 model 1855cc 200HP engine B4194T with 193.000km and the reason i started the turbo maintenance action is high oil consumption of around 2 liters per 3000 km

I would really appreciate your answers asap! I thought i was thoroughly prepared for this but apparently i have not read enough!

Thank you!

Last edited by ElGreco; Apr 2nd, 2012 at 23:16.
ElGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:14   #2
mitchyboy01
Premier Member

1. Hi mate. Personally I wouldn't pay to have the stock turbo repaired or if I did I'd get it up graded at the same time. There are plenty of good second hand ones for peanuts these days, but that's just me, I may be a cheap skate lol

2. To clean the oil from my hoses I used engine degreaser and thoroughly rinsed/flushed afterwards. Got all the crud out and have never had a problem.

3. I had a new PCV system fitted on my old T5 but that was because it was breathing smoke heavily through the dipstick hole, but if yours is fine, leave it alone.

4. I know people who have used both tbh and 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Both get the job done and haven't heard of any problems.
mitchyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:19   #3
neanderthal
Master Member

Default turbo

hi, i got advice off this forum...i used 2 cans of brake cleaner on the hoses. oil pipes, and intercooler,the intercooler must be left overnight to drain properly...
The Following User Says Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:06   #4
gatos
Premier Member

It may be cheap to get a turbo in the UK but not in other parts of Europe, specially Greece, were ElGreco is from as you can see in his signature.

Ask the people reconditioning the turbo how much the parts for reconditioning the turbo are in Athens. Also check on ebay and a few stores in the UK to compare prices.

Another option is to get a complete reconditioned turbo from the UK send to you in Athens which will cost you a lot less.

Also for future reference, check the forum, as there are many guides of how to do things and it can save you a lot in the long term and get you to know your car much better. See this guide of how to clean the ICV and you will see how simple it is.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=80435

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 17:52   #5
ElGreco

Thank you all for your replies! These are really helpful!

I was notified few hours ago that my Turbo has normal fatigue signs considering the 193.000km and is fully servicable. They found some oil and "oil mud" but they (turbodynamics) do not believe that the turbo was the reason of the 2lt per 3000km oil consumption. If it was the turbo using that much oil it would be dead a long time ago they said.

So, the "good" news is that just by using a standard kit of parts (and 245euros) I will have my turbo fully serviced. Please note that I am going to need another 550 euros to pay to Volvo for uninstalling-reinstalling the turbo plus cleaning the intercooler, changing gaskets, hoses, Oil separator etc

The bad news (apart from the price) is that I have to look for other "places" to locate the reason of the high oil consumption. The engine has NOT been thoroughly checked yet, but the initial estimate of Volvo engineers was that it was the turbo and that i should start with it, like i did.

Do not know what to say

The only other thing I would like to mention is that almost all hoses are full of oil deposits and that there is no oil smoke coming out of the engine or driping below the engine.

Regarding the ICV cleaning, I asked them to do it without charging anything and if they cannot I will do it just by following the instructions of this forum! Its a pitty that all this Turbo maintenance procedure is highly overpriced here in Greece as @gatos mentioned earlier.

My only hope from now on is not to find any serious problem with the engine!!!

Thank you guys,
I really appreciate your feedback!

Note:
1.There was absolutely NO PLACE to find throttle body cleaner spray for the ICV here in Greece. If I do it I will probably use Carb spray cleaner.
2.It took Volvo quite some time to order the correct gasket for ICV (if you have its part number that would be nice) because for models earlier than 2004 the parts per car database Volvo has is really poor!

Last edited by ElGreco; Apr 3rd, 2012 at 18:01.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 18:35   #6
gatos
Premier Member

There is no such a thing as ICV cleaner. Standard carb cleaner is what all of us use for cleaning the ICV or throttle body.

For future reference, try giving a call to Rufe (Simon) http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...&postcount=368

01792 790066 or 01792 784272 - Quoting discount code: C3

They are an official Volvo dealership in Swansea, with excellent service and cheaper prices. I think they are also sending stuff abroad, so you may be surprised how much cheaper it can be than going to the Greek dealers.

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 18:56   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Here is what VADIS says about the ICV Gasket part number 9146297, but I can't be 100% certain as it is a bit out of date and there might be a newer part from Volvo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ICV gasket.jpg (191.5 KB, 8 views)

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 19:03   #8
mitchyboy01
Premier Member

Hi mate.

I think its easily possible to use 2litres in 3000kms if your turbo is on its way out.

A turbo change on a T4 is not a huge job. Have you considered doing it yourself rather than giving it all to the Volvo stealership?
mitchyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 19:50   #9
ElGreco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Here is what VADIS says about the ICV Gasket part number 9146297, but I can't be 100% certain as it is a bit out of date and there might be a newer part from Volvo
Thank you for both links!

This is the program/image me and volvo were trying to locate the gasket at. The thing is, that for my engine B4194T the gasket is simply not shown!!! I had to search this forum to give the guy at volvo a part number of the same gasket of another model in order to locate the proper thing for my engine (actually he ordered 2 gasket part numbers, one for models up to 2000 and the second for models from 2000 and later). My car was bought on the year 2000!

Initialy I thought this mess was highly unprofessional but when the same vovlo guy showed my an example of the partnumber list of a 2004 model volvo, I realized that this was "mother" Volvo's fault to have such a poor part number database up to 2003!

Again, thanks I will certainly have the link you sent me (about vovlo parts) in mind!
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 19:55   #10
gatos
Premier Member

You are welcome. Maybe the dealer is still using the old software/hardware VADIS/VCT200 instead of the newer VIDA/DICE. Whenever I ordered bits from Rufe, they always know what I need and never got anything wrong.....

Nullius in Verba