Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dipstick broke.

Views : 2451

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 00:21   #1
cogs

Default Dipstick broke.

I have a 2001 ph2 V40 1.9D sport, it has the Renault D4192 T4 engine. It had a red plastic dipstick which has broken and the bottom section has fell into the sump.
So my first question is, will the bottom bit of the dipstick floating around in the sump do any harm ?
There is a plastic cover covering the bottom of the crank so I don't think the bit of dipstick while get into contact with any moving parts. I have tried draining the oil hoping it would float out with the oil but it didn't. So I guess its a drop the sump job, which I don't want to do just yet.

My second question is can any one give me the measurements for the dipstick from the top of the flat bit that sits under the cap below the bulb part that pushes into the cap to the max mark and to the min mark, please.
thanks
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 17:48   #2
neanderthal
Master Member

Default broken dipstick

hi,thanks to biotoxics reply i have left mine where it is...see this thread first page biotoxics reply....http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ick........and thanks to pinhead i now have another dipstick......i have taken measurements from the top part of the red dipstick (where it goes into a cone)to the full mark on the dipstick which is 47 and a half cms...it is 51 and a half cms to the minimum mark of the dipstick....the total length of the red part of the dipstick is 54cms......hope this helps..
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 21:14   #3
cogs

That is great, thanks a lot.

I did go to Volvo for a new dipstick, they gave me a metal one, it cost £20 and wasn't even the right length. Mind you they couldn't even give me the right size sump plug washer. Both went back for a refund.

Now I have the measurements I can make my own. thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cogs For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 07:39   #4
ronaldo666

Hi all
According to me this problem in your air filter box And this problem solve any common mechanic but I applied super glue to the flat bottom of a pencil and pushed it own til it was touchign the dipstick. Let it sit a minute and then pulled it up. Had the same problem OP did with the tube narrowing at the top.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 21:40   #5
cogs

Thanks for the idea but I'd be worried about getting the pencil glued in the tube.
Anyway it was only the bottom 1"-1"1/2 that snapped off so it will be floating around the sump.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 12:05   #6
minuz

Hi guys,
The same happened on my volvo s40 1.9D 2001 two days ago.
Good to know that it isn't so critical for the engine...
May you post a picture showing from which point do you take the max and min level measure? It will be very helpful to me! thanks
minuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 09:31   #7
tipli76

Default same issue

Hi Everyone!

The same thing happened to me. I have an 2002 S40 1.9D. The original part would cost ~40EUR and there is no aftermarket dipstick, at least for this series. Due to this is a Renault engine (F9K, F9Q-204), I bought an aftermarket dipstick (for 5EUR) made for Renault Laguna 1.9 Diesel 2000 - 2007. It seems to be fit, but I am not 100% sure if the MIN-MAX marks are at the exactly same position.
Thanks to neanderthal for the measurements he was taken!
Would it be possible to make some images of the measurements on the original Volvo dipstick as well?

Thanks a lot!
tipli76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 23:05   #8
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipli76 View Post
Hi Everyone!

The same thing happened to me. I have an 2002 S40 1.9D. The original part would cost ~40EUR and there is no aftermarket dipstick, at least for this series. Due to this is a Renault engine (F9K, F9Q-204), I bought an aftermarket dipstick (for 5EUR) made for Renault Laguna 1.9 Diesel 2000 - 2007. It seems to be fit, but I am not 100% sure if the MIN-MAX marks are at the exactly same position.
Thanks to neanderthal for the measurements he was taken!
Would it be possible to make some images of the measurements on the original Volvo dipstick as well?

Thanks a lot!
Volvo do make a replacement steel dipstick and it only costs about 20 quid. If the end of the red plastic job drops off, it's not such a big deal to remove the sump pan and fish it out. Good time to clean the pan and check the oil pump intake screen is free of deposits.

When you drain the oil, the 1.9D seems to retain about a third of a liter, so if you add 5.3 liters of new oil, the dipstick should read full.
If you do an oil only change, the oil filter seems to retain another 0.3 liters, so you only need a 5 liter can.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 23:09   #9
boyracer996

this happened me today, when i was changing the sump gasket so was able to hoke it out! it was lying at the bottom of the sump! should be fine if it happens to anyone as the bit that breaks off is wayyy to big to fit in the oil pickup
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 23:11   #10
boyracer996

*double post* delete
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote