Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 1.9D gear selection problems

Views : 971

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 03:56   #1
yangsita

Default S40 1.9D gear selection problems

Hi,

S40 1.9D year 2000 model [D4192T2] with 117.000 km has had problems to engage the first speed at random and not very frequently, which always has been solved pushing the cluth pedal again and retrying until it engaged at the second or third try. But now the it is starting to be very difficult to get into 5th.

It seems it could be the same problem others have already reported as 'gear linkage problems' that could be related with bushings wearing out.

Does it make sense to replace all bushings or is it just better to do only those that look bad ?

Anyone has the parts list or those that are more likely to need replacement ?

Special tools needed ? Any tips and estimated time it would take ?

Thanks
yangsita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 21:09   #2
Davidjames10

Talking s40 gear selection problems

Hi
I own a 1999 1.9 D XS and have just solved my problem with gear selection.
I read all the other points people had about it being the clutch at fault but also people had resolved it by changing the bushes.So I thought I go for the cheaper option and it worked.

I changed them about 2 weeks ago and it is the best £10 I have ever spent.
The job only took me about 45 mins once I jacked up the car.
I replaced all the nylon bushes the worst being the one at the selector rod adjustment end (Near the oil sump) There was alot of play in it.
I think I used a 11mm spanner and ratchet for two of the bushes on the selector rod itself and for the 3rd I removed the gear lever mount from inside the car only four bolts under the gaitor and changed the bush in that one.

Here is the link of were I bought mine from.
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=4391

Hope this is of some help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VolvoS401.9XSDiesel[1].jpg (43.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Davidjames10; Dec 15th, 2006 at 21:12.
Davidjames10 is offline   Reply With Quote