Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T8......One Month In

Views : 2134

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2019, 12:50   #1
Paddybear

Default XC60 T8......One Month In

Just thought I would share my thoughts of my first experience of the XC60 T8 RD, my first experience of Volvo and my first experience of a PHEV.

A month goes by quickly and the car has already covered 1200 miles. Volvo quality seems to be top notch and no squeaks or rattles and nothing has gone wrong. Tech works well and is far better than our previous LRs! It is a very comfortable and serene place to spend time. Plenty of room for passengers/family/the dog and swallows everything I've needed to move so far. The preconditioning is also very welcome and jumping into a warm car on some very cold early Feb mornings was a treat.

TBH, I was a bit concerned about venturing into a PHEV but I'm already converted. I know a T8 does not suit everyone but for me, the daily commute (18 miles each way) means a significant portion can be done on the standard overnight charge. Coupled with regen (loving "B"), we are averaging 85mpg....and that still includes some exploration of the acceleration, motorway driving and up hill/down dale routes! A big difference to the 37mpg we were getting previously from the diesel evoque. It also handled the snow we had at the start of Feb with ease - that was something else I was concerned about having moved from LR.

Overall, more than happy with the first month of ownership and I am finding reasons to go out and drive. Hope this helps anyone thinking if a PHEV/T8 would meet their needs....and the acceleration is an absolute bonus. 😁
Paddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paddybear For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:08   #2
MaDProFF
Master Member

A T8 Satisfied customer

Have you tried battery charging going down long hills, surprising how much that can add back to battery, using battery hold also down hill is good.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:13   #3
Paddybear

Yes, charging downhill is surprisingly effective. Not tried hold going down....but will experiment!
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:22   #4
Wizzpop
Master Member

I can see the attraction of the T8, but I can't understand the economics. A quick back of an envelope calculation seems to show a saving in fuel costs of around £1000 per 10000 miles covered. As the cost of the T8 is some £10k more than the similar diesel model you would need to be a high mileage user to recover the additional cost. Although I expect the trade in value will be higher for a T8 over a diesel model.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:27   #5
Neil S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
I can see the attraction of the T8, but I can't understand the economics. A quick back of an envelope calculation seems to show a saving in fuel costs of around £1000 per 10000 miles covered. As the cost of the T8 is some £10k more than the similar diesel model you would need to be a high mileage user to recover the additional cost. Although I expect the trade in value will be higher for a T8 over a diesel model.
For most it's all about company car tax.
Neil S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neil S For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:28   #6
Paddybear

Lease costs are broadly comparable with a same spec diesel and much lower bik tax made the economics an easy win. The T8 wasn't first on the list (a Velar was) but the cost differential for a similar priced vehicle was significant.

Appreciate that circumstances are different for everyone but for me, it was an easy decision.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:33   #7
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S View Post
For most it's all about company car tax.
I don't even think that is the case with current BIK at 19%. There are no incentives whatsoever to run a hybrid any longer. I respect anyone who drives at T8, but I'd be very surprised if anyone could justify it on a pure financial basis. If I brought an XC90 through my company, the car would cost me about an additional 10k up front, and then something like an extra 5k in personal tax, and with the type of driving we do it might not even get better economy over our D5. I'd love to be able to justify it, but simply can't.

:wq
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:49   #8
Duri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Yeah, the economics failed in my case. Private buyer, doing about 20.000 miles/year, charging at home over night. When I put together my mileage, driving pattern (city vs highways, short vs long distances), estimate the T8 petrol consumption, adding current price of electricity, I got EXACTLY the same annual fuel cost as with diesel. Which means I would never recover the extra 7000EUR that would cost me to get T8. Regarding the trade in value, that is the question - how valuable 5 year old hybrid will be compared to diesel.
So I got diesel this time.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duri13 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:55   #9
MaDProFF
Master Member

Mine was, but it is a company car. but when I got mine, I got a £2400 government grant as well, although that has now stopped.

But buying a T8 over a D5 or even a T5 may not all about money saving, it is about performance etc. It is no difference why people spend more money on faster cars, like Audi's A3 and S3's and so on.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 13:58   #10
familymangreg
Premier Member

But buying a T8 over a D5 or even a T5 may not all about money saving, it is about performance etc. It is no difference why people spend more money on faster cars, like Audi's A3 and S3's and so on.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely, that's how you need to look at it, rather than buying to save some more or the environment!

:wq
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post: