Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sump O-ring failure (pics included)

Views : 3384

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2009, 11:30   #1
WernerT4

Default Sump O-ring failure (pics included)

I have been struggling for months now with the noisy hydraulic lifters my car had, tried different oils,treatments etc..and nothing quite helped. Ive heard a few guys talking about the sump O-rings getting sucked in allowing air to leak into the oil channnels causing the lifters to get noisy.. So eventually we quickly dropped the sump this morning to have a look and look what we have found...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O-ring failure 2.jpg (103.3 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg O-ring failure.jpg (89.9 KB, 136 views)
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 11:42   #2
t4 b4192

interesting,what sort of job is it to remove the sump and replace them?
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 12:10   #3
WernerT4

Its not a very hard job to do, just drain the oil and water and remove the two hoses from the oil cooler, then u need take the beam off with the 2 mountings which runs from the front to the rear to get the sump out, just support the engine and gearbox. Then remove the sump bolts and tap the sump slightly with a rubber hammer to get it off. Its better to leave some of the sump bolts in before tapping the sump so that its doesnt fall out completely. I cant give u advice of the refitting yet because I dont have the liquid gasket sealent, will have to go get some at the dealers tomorrow morning. I think they are going to let me empty my pockets once again, I believe that the sealent is quite expensive... Do u think u have the same problem?
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 12:21   #4
t4 b4192

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerT4 View Post
Its not a very hard job to do, just drain the oil and water and remove the two hoses from the oil cooler, then u need take the beam off with the 2 mountings which runs from the front to the rear to get the sump out, just support the engine and gearbox. Then remove the sump bolts and tap the sump slightly with a rubber hammer to get it off. Its better to leave some of the sump bolts in before tapping the sump so that its doesnt fall out completely. I cant give u advice of the refitting yet because I dont have the liquid gasket sealent, will have to go get some at the dealers tomorrow morning. I think they are going to let me empty my pockets once again, I believe that the sealent is quite expensive... Do u think u have the same problem?
touch wood my engine seems to be in very good health,i'm just interested thats all,hope it solves your problem
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 13:11   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
I believe that the sealent is quite expensive...
Yep it's expensive, here it's about €45 so about R500 in your case (P/N 1161059). Maybe you could ask one of the dealers mechanics if they have a tube lying around...it wouldn't want to be open too long though!

There are also two O-rings on the oil cooler and it's recomended to replace these (30637339 x 2)

There's a kit available and comes with the two O-rings you need, an O-ring for the end of the dipstick and one for the oil pick up pipe. (8648358 - 4 pieces)

If you get a chance can you post up a pic of the new O-rings (8642559 & 8642560). I believe one is smaller than the other? Just want to check I have the correct ones...

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 13:20   #6
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

you can get liquid gasket sealnt from any auto parts store. it comes in a little glue-like tube and its a lot like silicone sealant. very cheap, under a fiver if i can remember right. did mine over 2 years back and its been perfectly fine since

spangoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spangoolies For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 19:31   #7
WernerT4

I have this kit :30750783 It includes both oil pan o-rings u mentioned (8642559 & 8642560) The packages with all the o-rings doesnt have seperated part numbers so I cant say if its 8642559 or 8642560 but its the larger one of the two if that will help. Still need to get the oil cooler o-rings aswell. What I did notice that worries me is that the new o-rings for the pick up line and dipstick are a different colour (green) than the old ones (redish) and they are thinner in thickness than the old ones...hope they will work
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:16   #8
WernerT4

This is the o-ring kit I have. They included these gaskets which I marked and 4 of the same sized o-rings of which I have no idea where they must go into.. I also included a pic of the dipstick and oil pick up line o-rings that differs in thickness which Im worried about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil-sealing-kit 2.jpg (25.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg O-ring kit 30750783.jpg (61.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg O-ring kit 30750783..jpg (80.5 KB, 38 views)
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:01   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
This is the o-ring kit I have. They included these gaskets which I marked and 4 of the same sized o-rings of which I have no idea where they must go into..
They look like the turbo oil return pipe gaskets and seals, but why so many? The other two paper gaskets, with the writing, appear to be for the turbo diesel oil return pipe...I could be wrong though.

Quote:
I also included a pic of the dipstick and oil pick up line o-rings that differs in thickness which Im worried about.
I would say the difference in thickness is due to the rubber being permeated by oil over the years.

What concerns me is the picture of your original O-ring and the size of it against the replacement. Can you put the old and new side by side for a pic?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:06   #10
WernerT4

Are u talking about the oil pick up line o-ring? The size are the same,just thinner Oil pan o-rings (2black ones) seem to be exactly the same size aswell. I noticed another problem when we took out the sump, old engine oil sitting right behind the flywheel on the casing and on the side of the sump as u can see in this pic, almost like a paste. I had a major turbo oil return pipe leak a few months ago and the oil was always running down to that specific area and dripping, but after I fitted a new pipe all seemed fine.

I wonder if that oil couldive found a way in there and causing it to look like this..? The gearbox casing inside also seems to have a thin layer of old oil but not as much as at the back of the flywheel's side, maybe it got threw like that by the flywheel. Luckily the flywheel seems dry at the front (difficult to see in there) and at the back also. I never had any clutch slippage, just hope it stays that way..haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O-rings 2.jpg (76.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Sump.jpg (125.3 KB, 73 views)