Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hes a little head scratcher for you all

Views : 1977

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2014, 14:19   #1
dawber1990

Question Hes a little head scratcher for you all

Ok so i have a 2005 Volvo S40 2.0 PSA diesel that keeps blowing or splitting the leak off pipes off the injectors. I have to tie wrap them on to get off the street otherwise its instant pop off under load. Running with fuel cap off.

I have replaced all leak off pipe, replaced the non-return valve that sits under the manifold, all vacuum pipes checked and tie wrapped on. Checked all pipe work back to the tank and no blockages. New fuel filter. Tried an injector additive too. I will be trying a leak off test tomorrow so i will post the results of that then. I have got new copper seals for the injectors too which i have yet to fit. Just wondering if their is anything i have overlooked or if anyone else has had the same problem.

Thanks in advance, Chris
dawber1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 02:02   #2
Wooders

You replaced the metal clips on the spill pipe to injector?
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 09:32   #3
mattievrs
Master Member

Could be the fuel pressure regulator sensor or even the fuel pump that are playing up with excessive pressure? Unlikely though.
mattievrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 18:29   #4
dawber1990

Thanks for the replies guys! Wooders i have not replaced them but i have made sure they are tight as can be. never had them pop the clips out though just the rubber pipes that they connect to. Been to firth diesel injectors today and had the injectors tested and all injectors are working fine. Out of curiosity i had a look inside the fuel filter and found little bits of metal filings at the bottom. As you say Mattie my thoughts are that it is now the fuel pump. Stranger things have happened i guess. Ha. Can anyone recommend a place to get one or in fact shed anymore light on this problem? Cheers
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 21:50   #5
Guru
Premier Member

The wise thing to do would be to go in and have your codes read, both fuel pressure and it's volume are intensely monitored in the 2.0D and any fluctuations surely would have logged an ECM error code.

There are 2 solenoids on the high pressure fuel pump, one controls fuel volume, the other controls fuel pressure, only a diagnostic machine can tell you which one of them is at fault
.. I still however suspect a blockage somewhere en-route back to the tank, but you did say that you've omitted this possibility .. problem is, any fault arising at the level of the fuel pump would throw you into limp mode the minute you accelerate ..

Btw., I wouldn't worry too much about those metal particles found in the fuel filter cup, it doesn't necessarily mean a broken fuel pump .. after being a member of four Volvo forums in four different languages through out the years of 2.0D ownership I would say that it's a very common finding.

p.s. these high pressure Siemens VDO fuel pumps cost around 1k bought new.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 08:35   #6
dawber1990

Sorry Guru forgot to mention i have had it plugged in at least 6 times. ha. only had one recurring code and that was something about the EGR, but i have had a EGR and DPF delete done on so i was never fussed about it. this tells me its something mechanical and not electrical. like the pump is failing but not failed. i can not stress enough that they are no blockages on the return from the back of the injectors to the tank. what are those filings then? first iv seen them. ha. i found a website that will supply a reconditioned one for £325 with a 12 month warranty. its looking like my best option to me. convince me otherwise, PLEASE. ha
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 23:52   #7
Guru
Premier Member

Well, as your title states, this really is a head scratcher .. and since you've had it plugged in 6 times and the record remained clean, then it can only be mechanical, the thing is I just can't imagine the pump building up enough pressure to make the return lines split off; that without even triggering an alarm at the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail itself .. but hey ho I'm no expert and surely not a diesel expert but I'll be interested in knowing what was causing this and how it gets solved when it gets solved.

btw., I'd check the functionality of that component in bold type above before buying things.. just saying
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 04:17   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

A video of these erupting leak off pipes would be helpful (and interesting).
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 18:26   #9
dawber1990

It really is baffling. ha. If the fuel pressure sensor isn't working surely that would log a code when i have had it plugged in? they hasn't been a change in how the car drives either. just that the spill pipes go POP every now and again. Im no expert either that is why im asking here for help. hopefully we can solve this mystery together. the thing is Cheshired5 it only does it under load. i can sit and rev the knackers off it and maybe get a little weep. its when on the move it does it. i have no indication til i stop and smell the diesel. If i drive very, VERY steady i can get about. Say change gear at 1500rpm. ha. Maybe thats a clue but i dont know.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 18:47   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

So they ALL pop off in one go or are some more prone than others?
Have you done a leak back test?
If you have, what were the volumes returned?