Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Panhard rod axle fixing

Views : 1124

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 19:33   #1
powen1

Smile Panhard rod axle fixing

Hi I was in the process of changing out the Panhard bushes for Poly's when the bolt that was holding the axle connection snapped off (rust) Anybody got any good ideas on how to fix this ? or done this before ? The only solution I can see is maybe cutting off and drilling out bolt/spindle and then replace with new bolt through mounting, Had a look on the web but can't find anything that replaces this ! Thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3165.JPG (109.1 KB, 44 views)
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 19:39   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

As you have some thread there screw a spare nut on and weld it on with as high a heat as possible. Let it cool and then try and undo
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 19:48   #3
powen1

Thanks Does it unscrew from the mounting ?
from what you are saying and can you buy the bolt/stud to replace it ?
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 23:12   #4
blueosprey90
Master Member

"Does it unscrew from the mounting?"

I also thought that might be the question. When you started, were you turning a nut or a bolt head?
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 11:46   #5
thx569

That looks very much like a shock absorber mount bolt from an older GMC made vehicle. It bolds to the mount bracket or frame with a coarse threaded end then the shock bushing, washer and fine thread nut. I still have 1 or 2 in a "valuable" junk bin in my garage. Want it? Ask. No guarantees for fitting. If yours is welded in, cutting and drilling required. Free - you pay shipping from Canada or name your first born child after me.

Measure the diameter of the bushing mount area and lets see if they come out the same size

Death is nature's way of making it harder to get up in the morning.
thx569 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thx569 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 12:38   #6
volvonic272

I've looked in the parts book and it doesn't show the mounting thread as a seperate part.
All part of the axle.

Dave
volvonic272 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvonic272 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 14:02   #7
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by powen1 View Post
Hi I was in the process of changing out the Panhard bushes for Poly's when the bolt that was holding the axle connection snapped off (rust) Anybody got any good ideas on how to fix this ? or done this before ? The only solution I can see is maybe cutting off and drilling out bolt/spindle and then replace with new bolt through mounting, Had a look on the web but can't find anything that replaces this ! Thanks guys
Thanks all for your comments your correct this is the axle connection for the Panhard Rod,
My question was if you could replace it with parts but from what I've seen, I cannot find any detailed pictures or parts in any parts catalog that could replace it, Not sure if the collar is fixed to the Bolt or separate and from the back of the welded part looks pretty flat so either welded to bracket or screwed in but does not protrude that much at rear - from what I'm reading the only answer is to cut off drill out and install bolt or stud into bracket then fabricate the sleeve to accept the poly bush ? any more thoughts gratefully received
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 14:47   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

There's no easy way out with this. The engineering way would be for a machine shop to make you up a completely new part that you could weld into the hole after cutting the old one off and drilling out the stub. Welding at the rear of the bracket would have to be good and having some tacks on the outside would also be good. They could be smoothed out so as not to damage the bush. Crudely this could be done with a plain shanked grade 8 bolt and some washers, again welded in. This is a critical part, so best not compromise.
At the body end of the rod, unless you are racing this bush is best left as original, i.e. rubber. It is the same bush as the front suspension upper, inner cotton reels. Same bush at each end of the rod. Not very tough now days but poly in this position on the Panhard rod can cause shocks to be harshly transmitted into the body. At worse you can hear and feel it. Poly generally good, it's a matter of taste, but in this position I'd think twice about fitting it. You may already be aware of this and won't be fitting one there but just saying.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 16:48   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I will have to correct my original reply as I was thinking 940 rather than Amazon.

The amazon has a fixed stud you you can not extract what is there. You could cut that stud off and drill and tap a thread into the pin. The other option is to get a new pin made an welded on
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 21:02   #10
powen1

Sorry guys thought the post would take my details Its a P1800 e