Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 4 cylinder v40 burning smell in car HELP!

Views : 1552

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2020, 16:23   #1
Paulwhite1987

Default D4 4 cylinder v40 burning smell in car HELP!

Hi, I have just joined because I am getting know where at the dealership. (Evan's halshaw not volvo) I have had a burning smell on the car which is constant. Its noticable when stopping and its unbearable when doing a regen. I took it in and they suspected the manifold which has been changed but it has not stopped the smell. Is there any common things to check? It's not fresh diesel or 'clean' exhaust smell that comes out the back exhaust but it's an acrid burning oil/sooty smell. Is there any common issues so when it goes back,they can have another loo? Thansk
Paulwhite1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 16:36   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwhite1987 View Post
Hi, I have just joined because I am getting know where at the dealership. (Evan's halshaw not volvo) I have had a burning smell on the car which is constant. Its noticable when stopping and its unbearable when doing a regen. I took it in and they suspected the manifold which has been changed but it has not stopped the smell. Is there any common things to check? It's not fresh diesel or 'clean' exhaust smell that comes out the back exhaust but it's an acrid burning oil/sooty smell. Is there any common issues so when it goes back,they can have another loo? Thansk
If it was from under the bonnet then I'd say it was the oil leak from the camshaft seal that several owners have reported. But from the exhaust is a mystery! Could it be a tank of dodgy fuel or fuel additive?

How long have you had the car? Has it been through the recall action? If not, then burning smells are a specifically mentioned response indicator for the recent safety recall.
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 09:02   #3
Sotosound
Premier Member

What year is your car and when you say "manifold", do you mean manifold cover?
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 15:45   #4
Paulwhite1987

Thanks for the replies. It has had the inlet manifold recall work completed. The smell does smell like burning oil but I cant see any leaks. It comes through the fans all the time but it is unbearable during a dpf regen which leads me to belief it could be related to the dpf or associated pipes. I was told the exhaust manifold was changed but when looking under the bonnet, I cant see anything that has been changed.
I have had a read online and found a tech guy that says there is a pipe on the back of the engine that can fail and leak but I'm not sure what it is.

If it works here is a link to a facebook post that shows the pipe compared to a new one, and below it is a pic of the pipe on mine.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/158378...16884555241661
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 16:07   #5
dingov70
Master Member

Look at exhaust manifold for any oil leaking onto it , it is one of the few things that can get hot enough to really make oil smell as it " burns off " . It might be a leak from cam cover gasket or even from oil feed or return pipe on turbo . A little oil goes a long way & stinks for a long long time
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 17:27   #6
Paulwhite1987

Bit of an update,

https://images.app.goo.gl/9ooBTPJVVTZWu8nC7

I found a diagram of the egr and the pipe labelled as number 4 is the pipe that I was referring to on the previous post. At the other end of the pipe I'm not sure if its failed as there is black residue around it and it would explain why the smell is worse while doing a dpf regen