Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Fuel Gauge Paranoia

Views : 1506

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 16:24   #1
Fast Reg
It's NOT a damn Focus!!

Default Volvo Fuel Gauge Paranoia

Hi Chaps,

Am still getting the feel for my new V50 2.0D SE, but am a little confused about when it might need feeding.

I've already worked out that the analogue fuel gauge on the dash is a pathological liar. It's the biggest "doom and gloom" merchant to have had the misfortune of crossing my path. I've already been caught out once putting in just a whisker over 30 litres when the needle was heading into the red.

I've also watched how the "miles to go" readout drops, but the distance to go on that obviously varies depending on how hard you're driving. I've joked with SWMBO that the engine is actually putting fuel BACK INTO the tank as the miles to go miraculously increase.

This time I thought I'd wait for the low fuel light. This was normally a good indicator on my previous car (SEAT Toledo) that it needed a top-up, and I'd usually be putting at least 50 litres at a time into it's 55 litre tank. It came on as I was making my way to work this morning, so I made a mental note to visit a petrol station on the way home. The miles to go on the dash was showing 70, which I thought was either a touch optimistic or that the light came on way too early. I mean, that's only a shade under an average week's total mileage for me just driving to and from work.

It seems that the latter was the correct diagnosis. When I filled up I got 41.23 litres into the tank after 382.3 miles on the trip meter. This ****ed me off a bit because I don't like to fill up until it's actually needed and will then brim the tank.

I've checked the book and this car is supposed to have a 52 litre tank, right...? I've done the maths. The last tank was consumed at an average of 42.15 mpg (I've not been sparing it the rod since I last filled up, in case you think this looks like a poor return). A 52 litre tank works out at roughly 11.44 gallons, so draining the tank at the same rate should have taken me 482 miles. I guess I could have run down the "mile to go" to zero without concern and still have had more than enough left to make a leisurely foray to a petrol station.

I appreciate that Volvo don't really want people running dry in their cars, but is this typical? At what point do you fill up? How will I know when I have extracted the maximum range that is safely achieveable without running dry?

TIA

2005 (55) Volvo V50 2.0D SE - Barents Blue / Off-Black Leather / Winter Pack / Comms Pack / Volvo RTI Satnav (aka Lars) / Rear Parking Assist / Prancing Moose Sticker
Fast Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 18:44   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quite spookily I have also gone from a Seat Toledo but to an S40. I assume the tanks are the same though as my light comes on at around 400 miles, I have a 2.0D. After a couple of times of waiting until the light comes on and then filling up instantly I can confirm that there is around 2 gallons/9-10 litres left when the light comes on. It does seems a little excessive, also the tank is a bit puny in the first place. A car of this ilk should really get 550-600 miles out of a tank. The competitors do.

I could usually get well over 500 miles out of the Seat but equally the tank level dropped pretty quickly at the end which could be scary at times.
I suppose we should not be surprised that Volvo are overly cautious when it comes to filling up, after all they are generally over cautious about everything.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 05:00   #3
Fast Reg
It's NOT a damn Focus!!

Hi Harvey,

I think the SEAT has a slightly bigger tank than the Volvo, with 55 litres to the Tolly and 52 litres to the V50. Anyhow, what your saying confirms that my car is at least no more paranoid than anyone else's.

Thanks.

2005 (55) Volvo V50 2.0D SE - Barents Blue / Off-Black Leather / Winter Pack / Comms Pack / Volvo RTI Satnav (aka Lars) / Rear Parking Assist / Prancing Moose Sticker
Fast Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 12:38   #4
Marmoset

There's a 7 litre 'reserve' tank on the diesels so effectively the car thinks it's empty after about 45-47 litres has disappeared from view.

I've only run out of fuel once and I thought I had loads left - the car likes to give a lttle cough if it's getting really dry in the tank. My fuel light is usually on with 70-80 miles to go and I fill up at about 430 on the trip, currently getting 44mpg on the motorway.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 13:02   #5
bryand
C30 devotee

Last time I filled my C30 2.0D I got 47.5 litres into a 52 litre system, with "50 miles to go". At about 50 mpg, that's spot on.
bryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 14:29   #6
Flugzeugler

I think diesel engines have big problems if the fuel runs out, so presumably the manufacturer make sure that the systems err on the side of caution.
Flugzeugler is offline   Reply With Quote