Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Stereo AUX - how to move?

Views : 1881

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 21:30   #1
SunnyUK

Question V50 Stereo AUX - how to move?

I have today brought home my very first Volvo ever. A very nice 2007 V50.

The car has the Performance stereo with an AUX connector for the stereo in the arm rest, which would be nice if I wanted to store an iPod there. However, instead of connecting an iPod or MP3 player, I would like to connect my TomTom satnav. And I want the TomTom to be placed on the dash (as opposed to right next to the AUX connector). Three questions:

1) Is it possible / easy / difficult / ... to move the AUX port so it instead sits either behind the "floating" stereo or (even better) somewhere along the top of the dash ?

2) It seems that the only 12V source is the cigarette lighter in the centre console. That would mean having a power wire trailing across the steering wheel to the satnav. How easy would it be to install an extra cigarette lighter outlet nearer the dash (maybe behind the stereo or in the glove compartment) ?

3) Is it possible tell the stereo to let the satnav on the AUX connection "interrupt" the radio whenever the satnav "speaks"? (I'd like to be able to listen to radio as normal but still hear the messages from the satnav)

I suspect a possible solution to 1) and 2) would be to run wires under the carpet... is that something I can do myself? (I am known for having 5 thumbs and don't want to ruin the look of my new car). If this re-wiring is something I need professional help for (and I suspect it might be), is it something I ought to ask the dealer to do, or do you think it's something I can safely leave to some car audio shop?

Edit: I have browsed the forum and am aware of the Denison 500. However, as I understand it, that's mainly for people who need an AUX input, and it seems to me that since I've already have one of them, I might be able to save the £260 they cost. Is this correctly understood?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Tomas

Last edited by SunnyUK; Nov 6th, 2008 at 21:32.
SunnyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 21:51   #2
RBIT V70

Evening
Im not sure about moving it but just do what Ive done in my V70.
I use a HTC TYTN II which also has all my music on it.
I bought a 3 metre phono extension cable and ran it through the bottom of the arm rest, under the trim next to the gear stick and then up and out at the fuse box next to the door. This then plugs into my HTC cradle.

All you will need is a male to male extension lead. You then have the option of unplugging it in the arm rest and plugging in an ipod if required

I also got a local company to install a behind the dash cigarette lighter socket so I can charge while I listen to music. This cost £45 but was done professionally and was something I couldnt have done. If you need pics let me know

Regards

Richard

Last edited by RBIT V70; Nov 6th, 2008 at 21:54.
RBIT V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RBIT V70 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 22:30   #3
SunnyUK

Cheers, Richard.

£45 sounds like a fair price for the cigarette lighter. For that price, I would also prefer to pay someone to do it rather than rig something myself and look at it the next many years while thinking "if only..."

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to have a close look at how the trim is tomorrow in the daylight. But if it can be done without the wire being visible, it sure sounds like the best option.

So do your stereo mute the radio when the HTC is in use? Or do you only listen to music from the HTC without using the radio?
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 23:27   #4
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

I thought about using my HTC TYTN II via the AUX socket, it has TomTom with Speed Camera Warning, so was going to get it to warn me of cameras.

There was two major problems, one will effect you; 1st I had to turn the bluetooth off to get the sound through the AUX socket, so couldn't use my Bluetooth Built in Handfree System, which won't effect you.

The 2nd will, you have to select AUX as the sound source, therefore can't have the sound from your TomTom and your Radio / CD at the sametime, so if you did what you want to do, it would mean no music (unless you can use your TomTom as an MP3 player at the sametime).

Not sure how this works:-

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/salesa...avigation.aspx

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.

Last edited by Chaddie; Nov 6th, 2008 at 23:33.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 23:42   #5
SunnyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie View Post
1st I had to turn the bluetooth off to get the sound through the AUX socket, so couldn't use my Bluetooth Built in Handfree System, which won't effect you.
I did pick up a leaflet about Volvo's aftermarket bluetooth hands-free system when I collected the car. But given the price and the fact that my TomTom also can do handsfree calling (haven't tried it, so I don't know what the quality is) you're right it's probably not going to affect me.

Quote:
The 2nd will, you have to select AUX as the sound source, therefore can't have the sound from your TomTom and your Radio / CD at the sametime, so if you did what you want to do, it would mean no music (unless you can use your TomTom as an MP3 player and the sametime).
I was afraid this would be the case. Yes, my TomTom can also function as an MP3 player. But it doesn't have radio, and sometimes it's nice to just hear whatever the dj decides to serve up instead of having to make all the decisions

On my old car, I had a cheapy Halford's handsfree kit fitted to the cheapo radio Citroen had built in to the car. It muted the radio and/or CD when making or receiving phone calls. That's what made me hope that Volvo's AUX also had the option of "auto-muting" (or whatever the correct technical term is).

But it makes sense that this is just the way it is.

Quote:
It looks like it's a re-badged Garmin. Would be interesting to know how it's integrated - but presumably Volvo engineers can do more than mere mortals trying to fit things together.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 23:44   #6
RBIT V70

No worries
I use Mortplayer on my HTC for music as it has a great "car" screen with big buttons.

http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?mo...view&entry=109

So I only use this for music as I hate the radio

I also run Tom Tom on this and you can use the buttons to switch screens. Because the music and Tom Tom speach are coming from the same device it mutes the sound when the voice speaks.

Ive found this is the best way to run the device. If anyones interested Im also using the Brodit mount. This is the best one Ive ever had as its rock solid
http://www.mountonus.com/?gclid=CMGS...FQ6n1Qod8jfZoA
RBIT V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:18   #7
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBIT V70 View Post
No worries
I use Mortplayer on my HTC for music as it has a great "car" screen with big buttons.

http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?mo...view&entry=109

So I only use this for music as I hate the radio

I also run Tom Tom on this and you can use the buttons to switch screens. Because the music and Tom Tom speach are coming from the same device it mutes the sound when the voice speaks.

Ive found this is the best way to run the device. If anyones interested Im also using the Brodit mount. This is the best one Ive ever had as its rock solid
http://www.mountonus.com/?gclid=CMGS...FQ6n1Qod8jfZoA

Do you use a bluetooth handsfree kits with your HTC while using TomTom & Music and if so what does the sound from the TT / MP3 do when making / receiving a call, does it mute or do you have to turn it off etc.

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:23   #8
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyUK View Post
http://www.volvocars.com/intl/salesa...avigation.aspx

It looks like it's a re-badged Garmin. Would be interesting to know how it's integrated - but presumably Volvo engineers can do more than mere mortals trying to fit things together.

I don't know the price, I expect knowing Volvo it won't be cheap. I have a built in SatNav (RTI) and an old TomTom so never really looked to close at it. But I have wondered if this SatNav once in its mount will charge and the sound comes via the cars speakers or is it just a mount.

Old Nov 10th, 2008, 17:29   #9
SunnyUK

Quote:
I don't know the price, I expect knowing Volvo it won't be cheap. I have a built in SatNav (RTI) and an old TomTom so never really looked to close at it. But I have wondered if this SatNav once in its mount will charge and the sound comes via the cars speakers or is it just a mount.
I agree with you on the expectations re price.

I have decided to carry on with my attempts of integrating my new TomTom somehow, so I won't be the one to find out how much Volvo would actually charge for the thing....

Tags
aux, satnav, stereo