Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Software Updates for Economy?

Views : 1956

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 19:07   #11
mjc

I'd be very wary of after market tuning. I have no doubt economy will improve with these products at the same time as performance enhancements, however, you get nothing for free, and the tuning company use a number of tricks to achieve these claims, including basics like increasing boost, however, the ecomony benefit is often achieved via modification of the fuel maps, eg. removing the overfuelling region, used to lower combustion temps and protect the expensive exhaust components, or adjusting the DPF regen strategy leading to long term DPF damage.

With this in mind it's more the long term damage to the engine I'd be concerned about. In other words if it was my car with my money invested then I wouldn't take the risk & enjoy as is (45mpg isn't bad given the performance). alternatively invest in a D5 or 1.6 diesel?
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:20   #12
dazc

As we all know manufacturers have built in safety margins when mapping an engine. They have to take into account poor quality fuel, missed servicing and general neglect for it still to be reliable.

If you are happy that you look after your vehicle, service it properly and fuel it well, I dont see a problem in adjusting the mapping to suit. This can be done safely without stressing the engine as long as you fulfil the criteria.

Hence, the map used will be more accurate, more efficient and still be safe.

Regarding the fuel consumption, if its producing more power more efficiently you wouldn't need to have your foot as far down to drive at the same speed as a non mapped car would you?
Thereby it will be more efficient, so it is possible to have both power and economy.

Daz
dazc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dazc For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 16:59   #13
pablo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryand View Post
My 2.0D is in a C30, and doesn't have a DPF. What it did have, before it was remapped, was a set of flat spots between 2100 and 2800 RPM which coincide pretty much with motorway cruising revs and produced poor cruising economy.
Since the remap, economy is better (by up to 8%) and more predictable.
Hi Bryand can you tell me which remap you went for.
Cheers
P
pablo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 22:39   #14
bryand
C30 devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo99 View Post
Hi Bryand can you tell me which remap you went for.
Cheers
P
It's an Oscarli map which was installed by HLM in Bromsgrove.
bryand is offline   Reply With Quote