Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service costs

Views : 6696

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2020, 13:12   #11
Wispyone

I have it booked in next Friday in Huddersfield, 4th service, just shy of 63k on the clock and priced at £440 all in.
Just hope it stays at that and doesn't go up

Richard
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 23:14   #12
Wedge0107

Wispyone - word of warning just had mine in for 1st service there on Monday where they collected and brought back. Got in my car today to find it still telling me service is overdue...which makes me wonder did they do it? The oil display was on max when it went in, now showing below that...have they filled it correctly? They also didn't bother topping up ad blue, which I know other garages do.
V90 MY20 D4 Osmium Grey Momentum Plus with Xenium Pack | Winter Pack | Heated Windscreen | BLIS | Tinted Windows | Keyless Entry | 4-Zone Climate | Hands Free Tailgate | Mud Flaps | Tempa Spare | Wireless Apple CarPlay
Wedge0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 09:14   #13
Wispyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge0107 View Post
Wispyone - word of warning just had mine in for 1st service there on Monday where they collected and brought back. Got in my car today to find it still telling me service is overdue...which makes me wonder did they do it? The oil display was on max when it went in, now showing below that...have they filled it correctly? They also didn't bother topping up ad blue, which I know other garages do.
Did you take it to Huddersfield?

They asked me if I wanted it picking up and I said I will bring it in and wait. I know it will be 2-3 hours sat around, but I'll have a look around the new cars and drink coffee. I will also check everything before leaving the dealer.

Richard
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 09:27   #14
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
The oil display was on max when it went in, now showing below that...have they filled it correctly?
It should be below max now. This was changed to allow for excess diesel getting dumped (as a result of an incomplete DPF regen) which would lead to an overfill warning eventually.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 13:50   #15
Wedge0107

[QUOTE=Wispyone;2645639]Did you take it to Huddersfield?

Yes it went there, it got collected and dropped off at my house - which itself was done by a polite guy who cleaned inside the car before taking it away.
V90 MY20 D4 Osmium Grey Momentum Plus with Xenium Pack | Winter Pack | Heated Windscreen | BLIS | Tinted Windows | Keyless Entry | 4-Zone Climate | Hands Free Tailgate | Mud Flaps | Tempa Spare | Wireless Apple CarPlay
Wedge0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 17:59   #16
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Not resetting the service indicator is poor - it IS one of the service items and it would make me query what else they may not have done. It seems that they have at least changed the oil. I would be having a word with their Service Manager and asking why resetting the service indicator was missed.

The jury seems to be out on topping up Ad Blue at service - some dealers do, some don't it seems.
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 19:48   #17
Yorkshire2160

Default Main Dealer Service

If your thinking of using the main dealers for services, it is always going to be expensive. Ie overpriced parts,menu service that always overestimates time taken for specific job. An example of this is last year I had an oil change and filter and additional work was rear disc pads.Cost from Clive brooks £690. Rear pads £40 and filter and oil£25 to buy as parts. One can only conclude complete rip off. Independents are getting nearly as bad ,they look at main dealer price and come in at £100 below. You are now better on with cars on lease. I had a recent clutch replacement quote for my Xc60 with 54000 on the clock £1900 from Clive brook.
Yorkshire2160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 20:40   #18
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire2160 View Post
............ You are now better on with cars on lease......
Except that with a lease you are paying all the same main dealer service costs, they are just hidden in your monthly fee. With a lease car you also typically churn every 24-36 months so get the biggest hit of depreciation every time you renew.

When we bought the V60 we bought it on a 50% upfront, 50% over 24 months 0% APR. We got 25% overall discount to list and got the £500 for 5 services package. We will run it for hopefully 7 years. Allowing for a few repairs and a couple more services and some tyres etc., as well as assuming 20% residual of list, I reckon it will cost us below £250 p/m. I will decide on main dealer vs indie for year 6 and 7 service at the time. Dealers can usually give you some discount. Or of course I could do it myself.

Then we might get an XC40 and do the same thing......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 20:44   #19
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire2160 View Post
....... filter and oil£25 to buy as parts.......
I think you might struggle to find the right spec oil and filter for £25. I would budget at twice that.

Last service on mine, like you with rear pads as well, was £427.84 (I just checked the file). Knock off £70 or so for 12 months of breakdown cover and it has cost me £350 which I don't think is so bad. So if they charged you £690 then I think you need to find a new dealer, or negotiate harder, or both.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 20:53   #20
Kenp8257

Isn't £690 for brake pads and the '£500' service a normal dealer price?
Kenp8257 is online now   Reply With Quote