Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

More Comms Pack Phone Questions

Views : 1055

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 15:07   #1
Fast Reg
It's NOT a damn Focus!!

Default More Comms Pack Phone Questions

Didn't want to clutter up the existing thread relating to bluetooth issues with my non-bluetooth woes.

When I bought the car it did already have a Parrot bluetooth set fitted, but it's currently broken. While I don't drive the car very far or take many calls I haven't been enormously bothered by the lack of comms in the car. However, I thought I'd try the built-in GSM phone today just to get an idea what it's like to use and so that I could chat with my friend while driving home rather than having to sit in the car chatting before driving home with a possible view to just having the offending article removed rather than repaired.

So, I whipped the SIM card out the back of my handset, put it in the reader in the glove box and fired up the phone. "Please wait", it said. So I waited. Then it said "Please insert SIM card". Hullo, thought I. I've already done this bit. To cut a very long and tediously repetitive story short, I had my SIM card in and out of the reader several times and got no joy whatsoever. No request for a PIN code or even an error message. Nothing.

So, in addition to my dead Parrot (It's not pining for the fjords...!! It has ceased to be. It has shuffled off this mortal coil and joined the Choir Invisible.), have I also got a duff SIM card reader? I'm fairly certain that it's not the SIM itself as it's not set to work only in my handset.

Help!! Any ideas...?

2005 (55) Volvo V50 2.0D SE - Barents Blue / Off-Black Leather / Winter Pack / Comms Pack / Volvo RTI Satnav (aka Lars) / Rear Parking Assist / Prancing Moose Sticker
Fast Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 16:20   #2
MavUK

Stupid question but...

Have you got it in the right way around? The SIM holder will allow you to enter the SIM either way I've spent ages fighting with this myself. Assuming UK cars are the same as Dutch cars the SIM contacts should point to the centre console.

Success!
Stu
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 16:53   #3
Fast Reg
It's NOT a damn Focus!!

Well, UK cars are not the same as Dutch ones as the driver is on the other side.

However, I am putting the holder in with the chip on the open side facing the contacts that I can see on the LHS of the slot. Allowing for the glovebox being standard between Dutch and UK cars and just transposing it from one side to the other, I am slotting in the SIM card the same way around as you. Besides, putting it in the other way round is a struggle and the "cap" doesn't match up to the body of the reader so well.

Oh, and it still doesn't work that way round.

Just as an additional thought, I get the impression that the SIM card holder is a bit loose in the body of the reader. I've nothing to compare this to so I have no idea if it is actually loose or I'm just imagining that it is, but I expected it to require a more positive action and grip the SIM card more firmly.

2005 (55) Volvo V50 2.0D SE - Barents Blue / Off-Black Leather / Winter Pack / Comms Pack / Volvo RTI Satnav (aka Lars) / Rear Parking Assist / Prancing Moose Sticker

Last edited by Fast Reg; Nov 13th, 2008 at 17:00. Reason: An untidy mind makes for untidy posts.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 17:06   #4
MavUK

Well apart from that one, small, insignificant detail

Sounds like the SIM holders are slightly different as well. Mines very fiddly either way and doens't line up either way - the holder is larger than the bit you put your card in...

But it not working either way probably means it's not that
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 21:45   #5
Fast Reg
It's NOT a damn Focus!!

Thanks Stu.

Any other thoughts from elsewhere...?