Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lower torque reaction mount choice

Views : 2683

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 23:51   #1
2.4TSE
Master Member

Default Lower torque reaction mount choice

The smaller of the two "cotton reels" in the lower reaction mount on my manual transmission 2003 V70 2.4TSE has failed after 61,500 miles, 45,000 of which have been with the greatly increased torque of BSR PPC tuning. Actually, I suspect it started to fail about 10,000 miles ago when smooth driving at low speed in traffic started to become more of an art, but now it really has failed.

The upper mount was replaced a couple of years ago with the "second generation" (square bush) Volvo OEM item and is perfectly fine.

Given that it took so many miles to fail, shall I simply replace the lower torque mount with a OEM item from Volvo or is it recommended that I fit a poly-bushed item to better handle the torque? If so, which one please? (I will take the lazy route and replace the whole assembly, not just the bushes)

I've read about vibration increase with poly bushes when replacing both upper and lower items, when replacing just the upper one, and especially (naturally) with automatic gearboxes kept in drive at tickover, but not the lower one alone (which is what I would be doing) with a manual gear box. Hence this check.

Cheers

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 00:20   #2
2.4TSE
Master Member

Since my original post I've read that the larger of the two "cotton reel" is the softer one. Is a worthwhile option to compromise between rigidity and minimised vibration therefore to buy the ScanTech "standard" replacement arm (which is low cost from PFV and gets me a direct replacement for the torn smaller bush) and then replace the larger one with a Powerflex poly bush?

My thinking is to use the standard small bush rather than a poly one to help curb vibration whilst removing the "squidge" that the standard larger bush permits by using a poly one.

Thanks.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:33   #3
FaKaWi
Master Member

If you're not planning on replacing both bushes then buy a genuine Volvo item not a ScanTech one. The rubber ScanTech use in components is of dubious quality, usually lasting a maximum of 12 months.
FaKaWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 11:15   #4
2.4TSE
Master Member

Thanks, FaKaWi. Handy to know. I had assumed that the ScanTech item was fine because IPD (according to their website) use it as the basis of their mounting in which they normally only replace one of the two polybushes. Their text appears to be contradictory however regarding which bush is the normal fail point and this was partially behind my "fit two polybushes or only one, and if so, which one?" question.

In your experience, and if we now assume that any standard bush would be a Volvo OEM one, what would your take be, please?

Old Aug 19th, 2009, 11:24   #5
FaKaWi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4TSE View Post
Thanks, FaKaWi. Handy to know. I had assumed that the ScanTech item was fine because IPD (according to their website) use it as the basis of their mounting in which they normally only replace one of the two polybushes. Their text appears to be contradictory however regarding which bush is the normal fail point and this was partially behind my "fit two polybushes or only one, and if so, which one?" question.

In your experience, and if we now assume that any standard bush would be a Volvo OEM one, what would your take be, please?
I actually have a genuine Volvo mount fitted with both polybushes. I did run for a while with having just replaced the smaller of the two bushes for poly, which is apparently the more likely of the original bushes to need replacement. I didn't notice any additional vibration in the cabin (but I did already have a poly top mount fitted) with this setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to FaKaWi For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 11:30   #6
BobS
Master Member

Hi,

If you only replace one of the bushes with a poly type. Then the other bush will be under a lot more vibration/movement and is likely to fail prematurely.

But it is an easy part to replace and you recognise the failure symptoms. With the extra power you now have you may have to treat it like a 50,000 miles service item.

Bob
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BobS For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 14:02   #7
2.4TSE
Master Member

Thank you both, FaKaWi and BobS. Decision made; I'll fit two new Powerflex bushes in my current torque reaction mount and since I haven't found a source where these come prefitted, forgo the "lazy" route of bolting on a whole new assembly

I'll report back the vibration change as a reference point for anyone else with manual transmission and alll other mounts as standard who comes across this thread in future. Will take a couple of weeks due to work related travel.

Cheers!

Old Aug 19th, 2009, 14:16   #8
FaKaWi
Master Member

Quote:
Thank you both, FaKaWi and BobS. Decision made; I'll fit two new Powerflex bushes in my current torque reaction mount and since I haven't found a source where these come prefitted, forgo the "lazy" route of bolting on a whole new assembly

I'll report back the vibration change as a reference point for anyone else with manual transmission and alll other mounts as standard who comes across this thread in future. Will take a couple of weeks due to work related travel.

Cheers!
What might be worth doing is seeing if anyone has an old one lying about that you can pre-fit the bushes to, or even a quick nose round a breakers yard. When replacing the bushes, the larger one isn't too bad to do, it can be pushed out with a g-clamp or similar. However, the smaller one is bonded to the mount and can be quite time consuming to get out, I ended up using a drill and hacksaw to remove the core of it, then went to work with a dremel to clean out the remainder of the small bush where it actually attaches to the mount.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 22:13   #9
2.4TSE
Master Member

Tis now done. The small bush fell apart when removed from the metal bracket and the remaining rubber was easily removed with sharp blade and new Powerflex blue bush pushed in by hand. The larger bearing was okay wear-wise, but came out easily with light finger pressure having made two parallel hacksaw blade cuts in the nylon cage 45 degrees apart. The new bush again popped straight in.

So, what's it like?

The good news is that the transmission shunt at low speed has been completely banished and I have the best quality gear change on the car that I've ever had; the advantage of a nicely bedded in mechanism and everything staying correctly aligned for the cable shift to work properly. Snick-snick. The difference is very marked. A full bore standing start was also easier to control smoothly.

The bad news is a big increase in vibration at idle, and immediately off idle a low frequency (think sub woofer that you feel rather than hear) "standing wave" all the way up to 3000 RPM at which point it tails away.

Actually, I cannot tolerate it so will try a standard Volvo large bush and poly small bush. I guess I would never have known without removing the original large bush but now I wish I hadn't!

Old Sep 1st, 2009, 01:36   #10
billr99

Quote:
Actually, I cannot tolerate it so will try a standard Volvo large bush and poly small bush. I guess I would never have known without removing the original large bush but now I wish I hadn't!
That is the way I have my '02 XC setup. Standard Volvo large end bush and a Powerflex small end bush. A very slight increase in idle vibration but a nicely solid feel to the motor and transmission when accelerating and shifting. I've been running it for some time and would highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Bill
billr99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gearbox, lower, manual, mount, torque