Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

engine system service required!?

Views : 50563

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2011, 16:30   #11
robg

Default update

well, the car has been in for its 3 month check over today.

Apparently the message is the result of a brake pedal position sensor fault. One is on order and will be fitted soon. I guess that explains why the cruise control cancelled as it uses brake pedal as one of the ways to run it off.

Strange. Seems they have fixed my centre console creak too, hoorah.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 20:14   #12
Volvoxc90doug

In mine this was an issue with over-filling the oil, to the top of the dip stick, rather than 3/4 as per Volvos instruction. The regen of the DPF led to a further increase in the level Oil and tipped the sensor and therefore the fault code (042) stored. A further oil change and filled to the correct level, plus a reset or the OBC did the trick and the issue has yet to return.
Volvoxc90doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 11:06   #13
cruze705man

Unhappy Engine System Sevice Required

Hi guys l just got this xc60 d5 2009 model last dec 2017. Just had an oil change & the Volvo mech put in regular 7 liters SAE 15w 40 API CI-4/SL. The following day the Engine System Service Required warning came on. Oh lmalso had the inside sidings on all 4 doors removed & the wiring too to give way to repair of the leather cover. The warning stays on until clear the message & will
turn on again once the engine is started on. BTW am from the Philippines.

May l ask what could be wrong with it & what should be done.

Thanks
cruze705man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 11:16   #14
volvo for ever
Premier Member

It takes 0w/30 5.7litres
They have put too much oil in also wrong oil
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 18:10   #15
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
It takes 0w/30 5.7litres
They have put too much oil in also wrong oil
The guy is in the Phillipines he does not need to use 0w-30.

Saying that the handbook recommends max of 5w-40 for warmer climes. It also says there may be a sticker under the bonnet that recommends something different.

As you say, probable cause is too much oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0343.jpg (92.8 KB, 25 views)
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 01:46   #16
cruze705man

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. So it seems there is too much oil put in by the shop aide. I don’t know if this is relevant with thw issue but the auto window up & down mode also got disabled when l had all door sidings removed dor some repairs. Shop owner who is a retired US Volvo head of maintenance at a dealership first removed the neg battery connector & tapped it a while directly tonthe positive battery pole but again Engine System Service Required warning din’t turn off.
cruze705man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 04:53   #17
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Once oil level is at correct level advise reset oil calculated level too
Window switch need recallibrating either by Vida or manually holding buttons up/down 5 seconds
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 20:49   #18
djmac75

Default Engine System Service Required

Just took my car to the mechanic today because ‘engine system service required’ came up on the dash. He changed out the air flow meter/filter which regulated the airflow with the fuel I believe. But he also said there was a problem with the egr valve. Anyway I was driving the car home and was overtaking a car and flooded the accelerated and the ‘system service required’ light came on again. Also to make matters worse I was on the motorway and the car is limited to 90mph? This Volvos s60 is 2007 and had should have a top speed of 135+.

Can anyone advise whether the EGR valve would also make this computer warming light to come on again? And why is the car not going over 90mph especially nowthst the air flow meter has been replaced. Spend 350 quid and it’s still not fixed. So annoying!
djmac75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:36   #19
Songyhutch

Did your car get fixed? I'm trying to sell my XC60 2009 model and no one will touch it with that error message "ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" and I've had it on my car for 6 years and it's never bothered me.
Songyhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2022, 16:17   #20
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songyhutch View Post
Did your car get fixed? I'm trying to sell my XC60 2009 model and no one will touch it with that error message "ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" and I've had it on my car for 6 years and it's never bothered me.
An old thread with some of the most recent members posting not been online for years so wouldn't hold out much hope for a reply