Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The worst Volvo driver ever?

Views : 1186

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:04   #1
Mav_UK

Just had to let you know about this.........

My ex-boss called last night to see how things were going and we got onto the topic of cars. He has recently brought a '99 V70 2.5D. It's a very nice car, full leather, climate, cruise etc etc etc. It's also got 160K km's but was checked out by Volvo and the ANWB (Dutch AA) before he brought it. He got it from a lease company so it was about 4K euros cheaper than from a dealer.

When he brought it he was told it was fine, but in dire need of a full service. So rather than getting it service he decided to drive to Croatia. I told him to take it steady, I knew how he drove his TT before this (which he also broke repeatedly) and so he drove with his foot to the floor from start to finish. Finish was Austria, where there was a loud bang and it stopped. Gotit towed back to Holland as the Autrian Volvo dealer said the engine was probably shot. In holland he had a new water pump and other things sorted (I assume serviceed as well but I don't know) and for some reason he had it chipped as he thought that meant he could drive it faster for longer - because it would go faster I think. He tried again, didn't get past Germany this time. He is now blaming Volvo becuase they wont fix his car (must admit to not understandung that), claiming that Volvos are a waste opf space because they are not German and they break when you drive them like that, and is thinking of replacing with a 1.9TDi VAG car - he hasn't decided what yet.

Thing that's really great is he said at one point it would do no more than 160kmph, that would set alarm bells ringing and I'd stop personally to see whats up! When he asked what on earth I'd do if I took the 440 to Germany I said about 140kmph, and he was surprised that I wasn't going to try and keep up with the super cars that are on the road.

I'm waiting to see how long his next car lasts......

Anyone heard of worse than that?

Stu

On a side note, he offered me this V70, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, unless he knocked off enough for a complete new drivetrain!
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 09:43   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: The worst Volvo driver ever?

Not a Volvo story this but similar. Being the local home mechanic a friend asked if I would look at his sisters aged Vauxhall Viva brakes.
The drums were warped and the only option was to replace them. Unfortunately the cash was not available so I told her to drive carefully. The reply was ''BUT I HAVE TO DRIVE FAST''. Needless to say within a week or so the car ploughed into something else and was written off. Scarey. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 10:01   #3
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

nigel

a vauxhall viva !!

showing your age there mate :*
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 10:04   #4
Mav_UK

Oh I don't know I'm only 26 (feels like 50 though) and I remember Viva's........
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 22:20   #5
sheerwater
Master Member

George,
Old and decrepit I may be but read with care!!!!! The car was not mine and needed repairs....badly!!! It was the modern shaped Viva, the one before the ''world car'' known as the chevette!!!. Nope it wasnt that long ago(about 7 years). You see we live in a delightful area where you drag yourself up by your bootstraps and aspire to a Volvo. When eventually you can afford one and you leave it for a few minutes somebody gets jealous and drags a sharp imliment down the side and not content with that goes back for a second chance to get down to bare metal.(car was 4 days old) I think that we got an incident number cos it wasnt considered a crime because it was unsolvable and wouldn't look good on Government crime figures and anyway the Government wants crime because it provides emmployment in fixing things which the Govt. can then get tax from. Oh dear here I go again!!! Cheers Nigel

sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:39   #6
Mav_UK

Yeah, It's wonderful when they tell you they are not going to catch who did it straight away isn't it? i think the worst I had was coming out of a family party with my ex to find that the rear wing of my fiesta was not teh same shape as when I went in. When I reported it I was told they can't do anything about the accident but unless I produced all of my documents within 7 days I would be prosecuted. I wasn't even in the car at the time of teh accident, but that didn't seem to matter.

Fun when I went back to show my docs though, the woman behind the counter was leaning back on her chair whilst looking at the stuff and suddenly 5 coppers burst into the lobby area ready to jump on me. Apparently she had tripped the panic button with her knee whilst leaning back. I'm just glad they looked at the situation before all piling on me!

Laters

Stu
Old Oct 30th, 2002, 20:39   #7
crumpit1

>decided to drive to Croatia. I told him to take it steady,
>I knew how he drove his TT before this (which he also broke
>repeatedly) and so he drove with his foot to the floor from
>start to finish. Finish was Austria, where there was a loud
>bang and it stopped. Gotit towed back to Holland as the
>Autrian Volvo dealer said the engine was probably shot. In
>holland he had a new water pump and other things sorted (I
>assume serviceed as well but I don't know) and for some
>reason he had it chipped as he thought that meant he could
>drive it faster for longer - because it would go faster I
>think. He tried again, didn't get past Germany this time.
>
>
So during this european tour he has visited all those countries and occupied Finland with Austrian's !
Just wondering if your mate had had any experiences of reincarnation and was sporting greased down hair, small moustouce and had a funny swan type walk?
Answers on a postcard please.
crumpit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2002, 09:08   #8
Mav_UK

Oh he's not that bad (as a person)! It wasn't supposed to be a European tour it was supposed to be cheaper and easier than flying to the place. Only spanner in the works was his driving........