Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

locate ground/ open circuit on positive coefficient heater?

Views : 1006

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2023, 08:28   #1
Decky62

Default locate ground/ open circuit on positive coefficient heater?

Hi I’m after some help locating and fixing an open circuit/ ground on PTC heater, positive temperature coefficient heater. I’m assuming there are lots of PTC and Vida doesn’t narrow down which one. Anyone with any experience in this that can help? Cheers declan
Decky62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2023, 09:29   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decky62 View Post
Hi I’m after some help locating and fixing an open circuit/ ground on PTC heater, positive temperature coefficient heater. I’m assuming there are lots of PTC and Vida doesn’t narrow down which one. Anyone with any experience in this that can help? Cheers declan
If the electric heater is open circuit best to get a new one..

A lot of people on here do not believe their car is fitted with one !
Old May 12th, 2023, 11:13   #3
Decky62

I’m happy to do that but Vida doesn’t say what PTC heater. I thought the heated seats, mirrors, heater would all be PTC. Do you mean the heater blower? Heater resistor? Or something else?
Old May 12th, 2023, 16:19   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I’m happy to do that but Vida doesn’t say what PTC heater. I thought the heated seats, mirrors, heater would all be PTC. Do you mean the heater blower? Heater resistor? Or something else?
which model and year is yours? I thought you had diagnosed the PTC Heater faulty.. From 2007 with the new model ranges they used a PTC electric heater inside the heater casing, that is what the thick Red / Black wires are under the carpet L/H side passenger footwell towards the centre front near the pollen filter.
Old May 12th, 2023, 19:09   #5
Decky62

I should have said that really… it would help! It’s a XC70 D5 2008 manual. Vida says open circuit/ground on PTC heater. I know the one you’re on about, I did wonder if it was that one or not. Just wondering if there’s a way to confirm this would be my issue before ordering and commencing a huge job!
Old May 13th, 2023, 00:27   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I should have said that really… it would help! It’s a XC70 D5 2008 manual. Vida says open circuit/ground on PTC heater. I know the one you’re on about, I did wonder if it was that one or not. Just wondering if there’s a way to confirm this would be my issue before ordering and commencing a huge job!
here is the diagram for you so you can do some tests, and those who don't believe there was one !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTC Diagram.jpg (86.0 KB, 24 views)
Old May 13th, 2023, 20:33   #7
Decky62

Thanks for the diagram, I know it does exist… but I can’t find a new part anywhere. Interestingly I was looking on the XC70 recalls, one was for short/open circuit on the PTC heater caused by it not draining properly. I think il give them a call tomorrow and see what they say!
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 21:29   #8
gvmnt

Quote:
Thanks for the diagram, I know it does exist… but I can’t find a new part anywhere. Interestingly I was looking on the XC70 recalls, one was for short/open circuit on the PTC heater caused by it not draining properly. I think il give them a call tomorrow and see what they say!
any luck with it?
gvmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 11:04   #9
Decky62

None as of yet. Took it to Volvo, they ran diagnostics and it came back blank! So that cost me £162. I got home and checked my Vida and I had DTCs so I wrote a complaint and I’m waiting the outcome. I can’t stand their attitude, chap on the desk just said it’s old it’s not worth it! Which I also complained about. I will choose if it’s worth it, it’s s shame really… the brand was always known for going for ever. Now all they want to do is sell you something else
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 11:16   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
None as of yet. Took it to Volvo, they ran diagnostics and it came back blank! So that cost me £162. I got home and checked my Vida and I had DTCs so I wrote a complaint and I’m waiting the outcome. I can’t stand their attitude, chap on the desk just said it’s old it’s not worth it! Which I also complained about. I will choose if it’s worth it, it’s s shame really… the brand was always known for going for ever. Now all they want to do is sell you something else
Its nothing to do with the Brand of the car, Volvo still demand the highest standards, and all dealers are audited on it with mystery shoppers twice a year. The problem is with the individual and his/her attitude and the In-dealer training.. I would bet that individual has not been to Daventry on the service advisers training course. just complain to the dealer principle. Perhaps they have only been working there a week . who knows..