Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faulty additive dosing module (ADM) or additive tank - DPF

Views : 1277

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2023, 17:44   #1
WilBo

Default Faulty additive dosing module (ADM) or additive tank - DPF

Hi,
I'm having problems with my DPF regularly getting blocked and failing to regen. Once it happens, I can usually manage to clear it enough to regen using a spray in the temp sensor hole cleaner.

I'm pretty sure the root cause is either a faulty ADM or a faulty additive tank. I filled it a year or so ago and have done a few thousand miles since but the level is showing as 15/15, which I am assuming means that it has not been dosing the deisel when I refuel.

Does anyone know how to test the ADM or the tank to try to work out which is faulty?

Some background:
- Volvo C30 1.6D 2010, 54,000 miles
- I have had problems with dodgy pressure sensors and sensor tubes in the past but replaced both not long ago
- When I refilled the additive tank with PAT fluid, I primed the system and successfully reset the counter

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. It's so frustrating. It's a great car apart from the ongoing hell of the DPF problems.

Cheers,
WilBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2023, 19:21   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

you need to scan with vida or any other good diagnostic tool . snap on / launch/ icarsoft .ect to find if its operating correctly.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2023, 10:14   #3
WilBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
you need to scan with vida or any other good diagnostic tool . snap on / launch/ icarsoft .ect to find if its operating correctly.
Thanks Simmy. I have Vida and know how to check the additive level but don't know what tests I can do to check whether the ADM or tank sensor is working properly.

Do you have any advice about what tests I can do?
Old May 15th, 2023, 18:23   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi WilBo

Strange, I topped up my tank a fair time ago and did the reset via VIDA and the counter has been on 15/15 ever since, as well. Also the priming function doesn't work. However it must be dosing as the car is still running!!
I fitted a new tank a few years ago and filled it. The counter did go down so everything was working. But after the last refil it has just stayed on 15/15.
I am getting a service done at volvo so will see if their equipment can try a reset of test on it. It could be a communication issue although no faults are showing?.
Old May 21st, 2023, 14:28   #5
WilBo

Hi,
Does anyone know which way round the pressure sensor pipes go?

Does the large diameter inlet on the sensor go to the before or after dpf pipe in the dpf?

I took the hoses off to check them and might have put them back on the wrong way round. Doh!

Cheers,
Old May 21st, 2023, 14:43   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilBo View Post
Hi,
I'm having problems with my DPF regularly getting blocked and failing to regen. Once it happens, I can usually manage to clear it enough to regen using a spray in the temp sensor hole cleaner.

I'm pretty sure the root cause is either a faulty ADM or a faulty additive tank. I filled it a year or so ago and have done a few thousand miles since but the level is showing as 15/15, which I am assuming means that it has not been dosing the deisel when I refuel.

Does anyone know how to test the ADM or the tank to try to work out which is faulty?

Some background:
- Volvo C30 1.6D 2010, 54,000 miles
- I have had problems with dodgy pressure sensors and sensor tubes in the past but replaced both not long ago
- When I refilled the additive tank with PAT fluid, I primed the system and successfully reset the counter

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. It's so frustrating. It's a great car apart from the ongoing hell of the DPF problems.

Cheers,
Firstly the additive tank was done away with for 2010 so I guess yours is a 2009 model year ( Mid 2008 to mid 2009) did you realise that your particle filter has to be changed on the 75,000 / 150,000 mile service as that is near it's end of life.
Old May 21st, 2023, 15:56   #7
WilBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Firstly the additive tank was done away with for 2010 so I guess yours is a 2009 model year ( Mid 2008 to mid 2009) did you realise that your particle filter has to be changed on the 75,000 / 150,000 mile service as that is near it's end of life.
Thanks Clan.
Yep, I know but it should have at least 20,000 miles left on it.

It was registered in 2010, as it has a 2010 plate, but I don't know when it was manufactured.

I've been trying to rule out potential causes one by one. Yesterday I had the EGR off and cleaned it. I put cleaner in the dpf and ran it but was still getting 15 hpa at idle and had a 'dpf blocked' DTC. I tried a new pressure sensor I had spare, and readins all the same. I switched the hoses on the sensor around and have 0 hpa at idle and 'no fault found' after deleting the codes.

I'm just now getting to check that I've got the hoses round the right way.

Any idea which inlet on the sensor should be before/after the dpf?

Thanks,
Old May 21st, 2023, 15:57   #8
WilBo

Ps it definitely has an additive tank, as is there under the boot and I've refilled it a couple of times.
Old May 21st, 2023, 16:04   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilBo View Post
Thanks Clan.
Yep, I know but it should have at least 20,000 miles left on it.

It was registered in 2010, as it has a 2010 plate, but I don't know when it was manufactured.

I've been trying to rule out potential causes one by one. Yesterday I had the EGR off and cleaned it. I put cleaner in the dpf and ran it but was still getting 15 hpa at idle and had a 'dpf blocked' DTC. I tried a new pressure sensor I had spare, and readins all the same. I switched the hoses on the sensor around and have 0 hpa at idle and 'no fault found' after deleting the codes.

I'm just now getting to check that I've got the hoses round the right way.

Any idea which inlet on the sensor should be before/after the dpf?

Thanks,
YES! as a matter of fact...

The pipe stub on the back of the sensor is labelled HI so goes to the engine side
and the stub Labelled REF goes to the exhaust pipe side 👍
Old May 21st, 2023, 18:36   #10
WilBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
YES! as a matter of fact...

The pipe stub on the back of the sensor is labelled HI so goes to the engine side
and the stub Labelled REF goes to the exhaust pipe side 👍

Right. So they are on the right way now then.
Lord only knows how long they've been in the wrong way round.

It was either yesterday when I took the hoses off to check them for holes, or it could have been a couple of weeks ago when I tried swapping over the sensor.

Thanks Clan! :O)

No codes now, and hpa back down to reasonable levels but I'm still suspicious of the ADM and/or additive tank. The level is still showing as 15/15 even though I've done a few thousand miles since last refill.

I just refuelled and watched in vida and the additive pump didn't activate at any point. The level sensor activated after I cycled the ignition but the additive pump activation just stayed on 'No' the whole time.

Does this sound right to you, or would you expect it to have activated?

Cheers,