Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance valuation...

Views : 1282

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2009, 13:12   #1
frobes2
Volvo Mad!

Default Insurance valuation...

I got up this morning to find some drunken yob and friends have walked back from the pub along the side of my volvo T-5R, damaging both sides and the bonnet with some sharp object, (key,coin,etc)..

I work in the motor trade and have a bodyshop who are doing the estimate as we speak however my Insurance company say they will try and find another in the autotrader to give it a value..

How can I explain to them that it is a rare car, (854 black, manual, saloon) original 850 T-5R!!! My excess is a standard price but I don't want them to right it off.. Has anyone got any ideas to how to go about getting her repaired without her being a cat c or d insurance write off..

To be honest I'm not that bothered as I wouldn't sell her ever but just in case.. any help greatfully received,

Scott....
frobes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 13:35   #2
PICKLEPOP

If the cost of the damage exceeds 80% of the value (thats the hard bit, a true valuation) they will write it off, thats standard procedure, however, you can ask for a reduced payout and keep the car to get repaired yourself. If you accept the full scrap value of the car then the insurance company takes ownership of your car and scraps/sells it on. Unfair i know but thats how they work.
PICKLEPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 14:04   #3
Blue 8
Premier Member

My guess would be it will get written off so don`t go through insurance, yes i know its gutting and thats what you pay your insurance for but that life and part and parcel of owning an old car.

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 15:47   #4
Alan M

Find yourself as many cars online and in papers that are a similar representation of your car so you can use those as haggling points to get more on the valuation if there offer is way out. If it is wrote off ask them to replace the car like for like with one you find yourself.
Alan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 16:16   #5
PICKLEPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
Find yourself as many cars online and in papers that are a similar representation of your car so you can use those as haggling points to get more on the valuation if there offer is way out. If it is wrote off ask them to replace the car like for like with one you find yourself.
Thats a nice thought but i dont think any insurance company would put themselves to that much trouble when all their loss adjuster wants to do is write the smallest cheque he can for your car.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 17:16   #6
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
Sorry Alan but that would/will never happen, in an ideal world maybe, all the insurers will do is offer midd to bottom book for the car as to them like most people its just an old Volvo no more no less and you will really have to push hard to get any more from them if at all, as for them replacing the car like for like you do like a chuckle don`t you.

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 17:38   #7
frobes2
Volvo Mad!

Cheers everybody,

I've just been told that they might not write her off!!

If they can't find the exact car on auto trader then she will not be written off and hopefully I'll pay my excess and she will be looking like new.. well apart from the roof which I will get sprayed whilst its in the oven etc. etc...

Yippee...
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 17:54   #8
4 forty
VOC Member

Default good news

that is good news,may we know the company involved, its certainly worth noting.
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 18:01   #9
PICKLEPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobes2 View Post
Cheers everybody,

I've just been told that they might not write her off!!

If they can't find the exact car on auto trader then she will not be written off and hopefully I'll pay my excess and she will be looking like new.. well apart from the roof which I will get sprayed whilst its in the oven etc. etc...

Yippee...
Good news and you have had a result. A GOOD and i do mean GOOD no BLOW OVER RUBBISH BODGE respray would cost at least two grand. Not many old T5s are worth that much. so if they do a good job please give me the name of your insurance company.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 18:07   #10
frobes2
Volvo Mad!

Its QBE Insurance (europe) Ltd.. under written by Ensign or the other way around..

However I'm trying to work closely with the companies Insurance accessor as he will be the one that views the car..

I have done the obvious and got ebay, pistonheads classified ads etc. with T-5R from £1500 - £3995 so fingers crossed..

I will keep you all in formed..