Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Running rough under load

Views : 1116

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:48   #1
baglartimus

Default Running rough under load

My 1999 V70 2.5 10 valve, has just started running roughly when the engine is under load. When stopped, it idles ok, but vibrates badly when you blip the throttle. When driving, and I floor the throttle, it vibrates badly, feeling like its not running on all five cylinders. Once the engine revs build up, it runs smoothly. If I accelerate very gradually, then the engine behaves.
There are no warning lamps on.

Any ideas what this could be?

I was suspecting it might be an ignition fault, so took out all the spark plugs and examined them. They all look ok, with no signs of tracking. I have also checked the distributor cap - this was a bit dirty looking, so I cleaned this up. The coil and ignition leads all look ok. The cleaning of the distributor cap has made no difference to the rough running.

I have ordered new ignition wires, coil, distributor cap and rotor arm, as I think the originals may be getting a bit past it.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 13:59   #2
kevvydude
Premier Member

hi, i had this a few weeks ago, fitted new leads and it sorted it, the old leads looked ok but they where naff, i brought very good leads ,and the O is runnig perfect now

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 14:06   #3
kevvydude
Premier Member

also i woulnd,nt buy aftermarket dizzy cap or rotor arm,as they just are,nt built like volvo stuff, just my opinion ,i brought a after market temp sensor and the car just would,nt get up to temp,and the mpg dropped by 4 mpg,brought a volvo one and back to 30 mpg pottering around, so i stick with original now

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevvydude For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 19:46   #4
SwedishBus

New leads with careful attention to the routing and clipping around the top of the engine should do it.

The ignition breaks-down under load, which is why the engine only shakes with the throttle open; the voltage to get the spark underway is forced to rise, and gets to the point where a lead or distributor cap will track down to earth. If you have a lean mixture on one cylinder, this will exacerbate the issue, as the kV on that cylinder will rise accordingly to achieve the necessary ionisation.

If you get a repeat problem on that one cylinder, might be worth checking the fueling
SwedishBus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwedishBus For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 21:17   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Just for fun, take the spark plug cover off and run the engine in the dark, see if you can see any stray sparks. I'd lay money that you will, if the leads or other HT components are past their best, and this is an indicator of problems - there should be no sparks at all. I've had cars that showed a right fireworks display under there in the dark, but still weren't (yet) having any running problems.
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 09:39   #6
baglartimus

Default Sparks in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Just for fun, take the spark plug cover off and run the engine in the dark, see if you can see any stray sparks. I'd lay money that you will, if the leads or other HT components are past their best, and this is an indicator of problems - there should be no sparks at all. I've had cars that showed a right fireworks display under there in the dark, but still weren't (yet) having any running problems.
Thanks, I will give this a try tonight. I am still waiting for my new ignition components to arrive from Germany.

Last edited by baglartimus; Oct 15th, 2014 at 09:43. Reason: To add the subscribe option
baglartimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 14:03   #7
baglartimus

Smile Replaced all ignition components

I didn't bother with the test in the dark in the end, I just replaced distributor cap, spark plugs, ignition coil, and ignition harness, and this fixed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to baglartimus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 16:34   #8
SteveSarre
Premier Member

If you swap your old coil back in, and it still runs OK, then you've got a spare coil which works, which is good to have.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 10:14   #9
baglartimus

Default Swapping in old coil

Sadly I no longer have the car, so can't try swapping the old coil back in.
Thanks,
Simon

Tags
engine, load, misfire, rough