Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DSTC Service Required, then limp mode, then total failure

Views : 430

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2024, 20:33   #1
gregsl

Default DSTC Service Required, then limp mode, then total failure

Hello everyone.
This week, my 2011 S80 had the dreaded DSTC Service Required show up, with the squiggly lines and everything. The car would soon go into limp mode. This happened twice, I pulled over both times, re-started the car and the DSTC was back on (warning off), and drove the rest of the way ok. I took it to the dealer and they told me the battery was corroded and too small for the vehicle -- ok, so maybe not enough voltage. After they overcharged me for that , I shook his hand and got into the car, and the DSTC warning instantly came on. So they took the car in for another four hours to figure out the issue, testing various modules and diagnosing all the electronics. They said they are 95% they pinpointed it to the steering wheel module causing the electronics to go wonky. They wanted $1,800 for it, including the four hours diagnosis time. No thanks. So I go to pick up the car and... it won't start. They give me a loaner and two days later they say oh, it starts now, but it's still going to be a problem. I decide to take it to a local Volvo independent guy. On the way, the DSTC warning came back, then into limp mode for a mile, then total failure. Every warning message came up, and I couldn't get it started - telling me to put it in park or check the indicator -- just an electronic mess. I got it started a couple of times but couldn't move it from the parking brake. After letting it rest for 10 minutes it finally worked again, with only 'engine service required' still showing, and I got it to the mechanic. He said it could be a module, and since the dealer did all the diagnostics we can start with the steering module, but he also said that the steering wheel module should only make the DSTC light go on, maybe limp mode, but NOT cause the car to shut down totally like it has twice.

I guess my only option is to have the steering module replaced (at half the cost with the local mechanic) and hope the dealer was correct? Has anything like this happened to anyone else before? Could it be the steering module to cause this? I have a feeling the module will be replaced and the same issue will return a week later. But, I don't have any more options being that the dealer did a full diagnostic.

Thanks so much for even reading this far. Hopefully someone can help.

Last edited by gregsl; Mar 12th, 2024 at 20:37.
gregsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 21:50   #2
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsl View Post
...I took it to the dealer and they told me the battery was corroded and too small for the vehicle -- ok, so maybe not enough voltage. After they overcharged me for that , I shook his hand and got into the car, and the DSTC warning instantly came on...
A long shot.... Are you sure that they cleaned the corroded terminals properly when the new battery was installed and connected and tightened it properly? Electrical problems can cause havoc with the car network and modules (as you probably know)... Did you measure the charging voltage and the new battery few days after installation? Which battery model is now in the car? How many Ah? Which engine exactly ?

Edited: Oh yes...Did they Reset the BMS (Battery Managament System) when the new battery was installed?

Wish you luck.

Last edited by hal9000f; Mar 12th, 2024 at 21:53.
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 14:38   #3
gregsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000f View Post
A long shot.... Are you sure that they cleaned the corroded terminals properly when the new battery was installed and connected and tightened it properly? Electrical problems can cause havoc with the car network and modules (as you probably know)... Did you measure the charging voltage and the new battery few days after installation? Which battery model is now in the car? How many Ah? Which engine exactly ?

Edited: Oh yes...Did they Reset the BMS (Battery Managament System) when the new battery was installed?

Wish you luck.
I was considering a battery terminal issue since it was replaced first due to corrosion -- but the dealer diagnosed this for hours and was testing voltage from each module after replacing the battery, so I would think they tried that themselves. Of course, being a dealer they may have known this was a possibility and still tried to get me to agree to a new module -- which they would put in and then clean the cables too. It's possible so I'll give the cables a good cleaning today and let you know. Thanks.
gregsl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregsl For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 09:46   #4
Oliver2012

I've the same symptoms on a 2012 V70 D5. Have you had any luck with getting this fixed?

I get DSTC Service required (No ABS fault illuminated on Dash) with the following codes stored:
U041568: Invalid Data recieved from Brake Control Module.
U012600: Lost Comunication with Steering Angle Sensor.

Then will have have a slight wobble in the speedo followed by the complete engine stop/faluire. Lots of codes stored, including fuel pump to imobiliser.

There are no errors logged/stored in the Steering or Brake Control Modules.
Oliver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 21:29   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

check for any water ingress around the cem windscreens have been known to become unbonded allowing water onto the electrics
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 10:34   #6
Oliver2012

I've conducted the basic can bus check through the OBD socket. 62 ohms 2.4 and 2.6 Volts, happy with the results. It should be 60, and equal to 5 volts combined I believe.
No evidence of water around the CEM or footwell, windscreen was re-sealed ~2019.

I did fit a second hand ECU and CEM which were cloned to mine. All was great for about 2 weeks, then the same codes have returned.
I do wonder if the car is doing something to the CEM, over voltage?

12.4 at rest, 15 volts at idle across the battery terminals. It currently wont rev to see if it maintains / decreases or increases from 15 volts...

Changing back to the original ecu makes no difference.
The original CEM has a do not fit sticker on, not sure why?

The only thing of note. The clips which retain the 2 main loom ends to the CEM were broken, probably been out before. Couldn't say 100% for certain the CEM is the original or correct one for the car

Oliver
The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver2012 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 10:40   #7
Oliver2012

I've owned it for ~5 years, its been fine up to know. It is a recent problem which has started.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 12:51   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

15 v at idle is quite high the plastic clips on the cem plugs are what hold the plugs in tight try pushing them in as road vibration may have un seated them giving multiple fault codes
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote