Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RSE sound through rear speakers?

Views : 3876

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2017, 05:10   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyedward View Post
1. Is the post describing the system with 2 disc DVD player?
3. I have read a couple of posts about tuning the stereo to pick up the 863 MHz signal that the headphones would pick up, but I haven't a clue how to find the right FM frequency - can anyone shed some light?
1. The European DVD system is a single disc, not 2 disc DVD played

3. The FM radio can tune from 88.0 to 108.0 MHz, to change frequencies use the <- and -> buttons on the radio. Press and hold for manual tuning steps, or use the AUTO or SCAN functions.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 00:13   #12
LizLuv

Quote:
I know this is a VERY old thread and has probably long since died a death, but thought it might trying to resurrect for those of you that might still be around.

I have just picked up an '04 XC90 and I'm trying to establish whether I can get the DVD audio to play through the speakers. Our DVD player is the 10 disc version mounted in the boot, not in the console between the front seats. I don't think it's integrated in the same way as the RSE setup that is described, but there is mention of the older versions and the speaker button on the remote which I don't think we have. We do not have an Aux function and the controls on the pillars only pick up radio or CD's playing through the stereo.

So my questions are:

2. Has anyone managed to get the 10 disc version to play through their speakers and if so how?
3. I have read a couple of posts about tuning the stereo to pick up the 863 MHz signal that the headphones would pick up, but I haven't a clue how to find the right FM frequency - can anyone shed some light?

Will post this elsewhere too, but any input gratefully received!

Hi, I have a 07 XC 90 . My DVD used to play through all speakers. I know I would have my radio on , but it wasn’t a specific ch . Now DVDs play with no sound. I have tried AUX like others said and nothing. I can’t get to the FM that others give Someone said FM 88.1. Also I don’t have the remote. Did you get to fix yours?
LizLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 08:07   #13
john langrick
Master Member

Quote:
I know this is a VERY old thread and has probably long since died a death, but thought it might trying to resurrect for those of you that might still be around.

I have just picked up an '04 XC90 and I'm trying to establish whether I can get the DVD audio to play through the speakers. Our DVD player is the 10 disc version mounted in the boot, not in the console between the front seats. I don't think it's integrated in the same way as the RSE setup that is described, but there is mention of the older versions and the speaker button on the remote which I don't think we have. We do not have an Aux function and the controls on the pillars only pick up radio or CD's playing through the stereo.

So my questions are:

2. Has anyone managed to get the 10 disc version to play through their speakers and if so how?

Will post this elsewhere too, but any input gratefully received!
Hi, the UK 10 dvd player was a product that did not interface with the rest of the car other than for it's power.

It uses two transmitters in the rear that transmit to the old headphones.

I have same in my car.

Each of the transmitters in the rear, silvery flying saucer shaped devices, one in the well to the left of the DVD unit and the other strapped to the back of the player take an audio out standard audio jack from the DVD player harness. This input can be physically directed elsewhere using an extender cable.

One option to use the rear speakers may be available if you have input jacks between the rearmost seats. If there is, you will see phono sockets, left right and video which (I believe ) were used to plug in external devices in the back seat. You may also see some audio interface up on the 'b' pillars. My car has these but never tried to interface to them. But if yours has these you could try routing the audio detailed above to the left and right channels on the sockets mid row 3. You should then be able to plug regular headphones into the 'b' pillars units and maybe the rear speakers may work. I never tried this but could work.

Hope this helps

Last edited by john langrick; Jun 7th, 2023 at 09:59.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 17:13   #14
Ian mallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizLuv View Post
Hi, I have a 07 XC 90 . My DVD used to play through all speakers. I know I would have my radio on , but it wasn’t a specific ch . Now DVDs play with no sound. I have tried AUX like others said and nothing. I can’t get to the FM that others give Someone said FM 88.1. Also I don’t have the remote. Did you get to fix yours?

I managed to fix mine (2010) after lots of digging. I worked out the rse goes into the head unit through the aux input channel. The same channel as the 3.5mm jack by the cupholders uses...
If the head unit is set to aux and nothing is plugged into the 3.5mm jack then rse audio comes through, if a plug is put in the 3.5mm jack then that takes priority and cancels out the rse audio.
I took the 3.5mm jack out from the under the cupholders and realised it was broken, half of the plastic body of the socket was missing.

There is 2 sets of brass contacts inside the socket, one for left and one for right audio. when no plug is inserted then there is a connection between 2 of the contacts allowing rse audio to pass through the socket to the head unit, when a plug is inserted it pushes these contacts apart thus breaking the connection from the rse and connecting them to the contacts on the end of the plug instead.

Mine was so mullered inside that the brass contacts weren't touching anything. I set the head unit to aux and put a dvd on then with a small flat screwdriver I moved the brass contacts together in different directions until I got sound through one side, then I bent those contacts so they stayed together. Repeated this with the other set of contacts to get the sound through the other side. Once it was working I tucked the aux socket under the cupholders out of the way and put it all back together. Works perfectly ever since and wouldn't use the 3.5mm input anyway so didn't mind losing this option.

I did try to source the jack socket from Volvo but it's discontinued and unique to the rse equipped cars too.

Sorry it's a long winded explanation but hard to explain with words. Hope this might help.

2010 XC90 D5, R-Design SE 185 (I'm not allowed to abuse this one!)
Ian mallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 08:44   #15
john langrick
Master Member

Sorry, cancelled post.

Last edited by john langrick; Oct 4th, 2023 at 08:51.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote