Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM Fault, A Police Issue?

Views : 2321

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:04   #1
Grumpy!

Hello there.

I'm new to posting on this forum, but have been reading it for a few months, and indeed it has helped me with a few decisions regarding my T5.

I have read and searched the ETM issue, and believe I may have an interesting point to raise, Or maybe not!

I’d be interested to know if anybody with an ex-police V70 has encountered any of the ETM issues. I don’t mean have you tried to get the update, but have you had any actual ETM problems.

As the ETM failure would be quite catastrophic during a 130mph car chase I cannot imagine Her Majesties Constabulary running vehicles with this potential problem. I’m wondering if the police forces knew about this some time ago and fixed it, or if they just kept replacing the module at regular intervals.
I own an ex-police 2001 P2 V70 T5, and am wondering if I need to worry about this or not. I personally do not want to have to have the update unless there is a problem, as I have a re-mapped ECU, and I don’t want to have to drive to the midlands to re-install it unless I have to.

BUT! It could also be of interest to the wider Volvo community. Especially if some sort of “arrangement” or fix was sorted out behind closed doors between Volvo and the Police.
If this was done then I’m sure that it could be used as leverage to get Volvo to sort out the wider problem, as quite clearly it would have been deemed unsafe by the Police.
I am quite skeptical as to weather anybody on the “inside” would be willing to divulge such info as I’m sure there is a close relationship between Volvo/Ford and the police. But there may be some ex-police mechanics about that could recall if there was some sort of mass upgrade done.

My vehicle is now on 185,000 miles, and I have done the last 30,000 of them in the last 6 months. There has been no sign whatsoever of any throttle problems. I have browsed one or two forums on the net, but I haven’t seen any ex-police car owners discussing failing ETM issues, I am sure there are in excess of a hundred ex-police cars out there that fall into the age bracket that is susceptible to this issue.

I really can’t imagine the Police being too impressed if their T5 suddenly goes into safe mode when flying along at 160mph, and I really cant imagine Volvo wanting to fight a case against the police!

If any Ex-police users have had an ETM failure it may be useful to post it, as it will put this theory to bed, and also help me decide weather or not to get mine sorted

Also, Is there a visual diference between a faulty ETM and a updated one?

Cheers guys

Joules.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:04   #2
Ben 77
Ben 77

Hi mate,i have a 2001 Y plate ex Manchester ARV with 92k on her.I have had her for approx 2 months. Recently whilst at a Volvo dealership and asked if all the recalls had been done.The computer info came up and it it had been recalled for a fan problem ages ago but nothing else,it seems to be ok (touch wood) at the mo.Is it worth asking Volvo about the ETM do you think?

Ben.
Ben 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 13:36   #3
lushman

Valid point Grumpy. It will be interesting if any info comes out of this. However I can't see Volvo doing things behind closed doors with the police as they would be admitting there is a problem!

Paul
Laser Blue
17" Satellites
Dual Exhaust
Strut Brace
3" Sports Cat and pipe
ECU remap
Mesh Grille
Projecter Headlights
6CD Multi changer
lushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 18:59   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

They were replaced as they failed as any other part would be,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 22:45   #5
Grumpy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
They were replaced as they failed as any other part would be,
Is this a qualified response?

You say this in a way that implies you have direct knowledge.

If so, thanks for putting this point to bed.

Although maybe not all forces had the same policy.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 22:49   #6
Ben 77
Ben 77

Mine has just started playing up and have spoken to Volvo and she is going in to Lookers in a couple of weeks for the ETM clean/upgrade,not sure if this is related .

Ben.
Ben 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:45   #7
shimon340

hello

the police etms were replaced when they failed as part of the usual servicing programme.

Given the mileage of your car, 185,000 you have the upgraded later type MM ETM fitted.

VOSA ( nee DVLA ) didnt require volvo to change all the ETMs as a recall and were satisfied with the software update.

The police vehicles are overseen by Volvo Special Vehicles dept in Sweden where the cars are built. Cant say what Volvo Sweden did for the police when they were aware of the concern but remember, the software update makes the ECU less sensitive to the varying ETM output which occurs as the tracks fail. Only in the US were all early type MM units replaced with the upgraded part - also the same part used when the first one fails - this is the one with the 10yr or 100,000 mile warranty.
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 22:13   #8
kevin derby uk

Angry police/etm

i saw this post some time back and while it made me think at the time i soon forgot about it BUT i was in a shop and saw a bloke who i knew to be a police
mechanic. we sort of know each other, not that well i have to say = any way after saying morning i asked him = this is not going to blow your socks off =
it was a known fault but they replaced the part at the first sign of a problem the car is taken out of service and fixed and that was it = job done =

as for my car, i just went to volvo. £249 and the car work fine.

Last edited by kevin derby uk; Sep 9th, 2009 at 22:16.
kevin derby uk is offline   Reply With Quote