Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 GLE 2.0T broken ECU?

Views : 635

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2023, 22:05   #1
Daniel523753

Default 850 GLE 2.0T broken ECU?

Hello guys!

Please help me out!

My 850 all of a sudden failed to start, after being pretty reliable for the last 2 years. I checked all the usual suspects, but traced the issue to the injectors not getting a pulse from the ECU. When I opened up the plastic box, the module itself was quite hot.

I have a spare ECU (from presumably a 2.5 manual) swapped that in, and the car started right up!

The ECU connectors all look as good as new.

I understand ECUs seldom fail, so what am I missing?!

(I would just keep using the spare ECU, but it's giving too much fuel, makes the auto transmission really rough, plus - I assume the immobilizer - shuts the car off after a few minutes )

Any insight is much appreciated!
Daniel523753 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel523753 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 23:01   #2
brickman
Premier Member

Mane sure ecu cool air pipe is fitted. A few folk have had cooked ecu, especially auto cars as the tcu sits in same box and also produces heat = failed solder joints eventually
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 23:47   #3
Daniel523753

Thanks brickman! Yeah I'm missing the pipe, but probably not the issue this time:

I managed to read both ECU eeproms, and my original .bin file is identical to a 850 GLE 2.0T file I downloaded from the internet. If I pop my original eeprom into the spare ECU (), the car still doesn't start.

So I now have to assume both ECUs work fine, but the injectors are only firing with the non-original ECU.

I'm baffled..
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 09:23   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel523753 View Post
Thanks brickman! Yeah I'm missing the pipe, but probably not the issue this time:

I managed to read both ECU eeproms, and my original .bin file is identical to a 850 GLE 2.0T file I downloaded from the internet. If I pop my original eeprom into the spare ECU (), the car still doesn't start.

So I now have to assume both ECUs work fine, but the injectors are only firing with the non-original ECU.

I'm baffled..
you are missing the cooling pipe, this produces a cooling air flow over the ECU's
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 17:24   #5
brickman
Premier Member

Yup.

Ecu issues are very very rare so you should be able to find one as a replacer that works. Not so familiar with them tbh as rare anyone ever needs one. Make sure to fit a new pipe (petrol cars cook all their plastic so try looking on a scrap diesel instead or new isn't much) otherwise your replacement ecu will also cook and die.
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 19:18   #6
Daniel523753

Thanks guys! Yeah I'll be sure to fit a new pipe once I manage to actually resolve the issue

The situation right now is:

- the car starts up with a '94 850 T5 ECU program if I load it into the eeprom, the injectors are firing properly
- the car does not start up with the original ECU program, the injectors are not firing

I have double checked the fuel pressure, +12V on the injectors, crank sensor, speed sensor, TPS signal, ECT signal, all the grounds.. The ECU is just not pulling the injectors to the ground with the original program..

What am I missing here?

Could it be an immobilizer issue, where the immo blocks the injectors for some reason? (I replaced the dash about 2 months ago, but I've been using the car with the replacement happily ever since.)
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 22:28   #7
Goupil

You could try flashing an american map if you can find one (M4.4 are easily available, not sure about M4.3) as they didnt get the immo before 1999
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 23:15   #8
Daniel523753

Thanks Goupil! Yes, I checked now and my spare ECU .bin has a date code of 071093. I believe even European cars did not have immo at that time, so that could be why the car is starting up with that ecu, as it just ignores the missing immo signal.

I'll be checking the chip in the key and the immo antenna next!
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 13:32   #9
Daniel523753

Solved!

The car is running fine with a slightly older ECU program (that is apparently not checking for the immo OK signal).

I tried replacing the immo 2 box, antenna, and checked the wiring between the immo box and ecu, but all of those are fine, so it would seem to me that the ECU itself fails to communicate with the immo box for some reason.

What I've learned:
- you can hack an immo off solution by finding an older ECU program, just make sure that all the maps match (MotronicSuite helped me with that)
- the automatic transmission seems to be controlled not by the ECU program, but some other logic inside the ECU box
- having the snorkel for the ECU is probably a good idea, especially for automatic cars as some of you have suggested

Thanks for all the tips!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel523753 For This Useful Post: