Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter wheels / tyres

Views : 968

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 21:14   #1
172navigator

Default Winter wheels / tyres

Someone asked about winter wheels on another thread. I ordered some today and thought I would share the details.

I found Volvo 18" wheels with Continental tyres at http://www.swedishcaraccessories.co....15--1144-p.asp. Price is £1580.

I told my dealer and he said they can supply the same package for £1500 and fit too. Delivery is estimated at two weeks.

I suppose all dealers should be able to do them for this price - or better if you are lucky.

Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone else in the market for winters.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 21:35   #2
chrisrixy

Thanks - that's very interesting.

I had found this Volvo Winter Wheels brochure from last year - but very little about current prices.

http://mediadws.keycast.com/Media/Li...8ecdae09e9.pdf
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 21:39   #3
neon
Premier Member

Just ordered yesterday 4 Nokian WR SUV 3 for my 19" wheels.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 23:00   #4
thinkpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Just ordered yesterday 4 Nokian WR SUV 3 for my 19" wheels.

I just ordered Nokian WR SUV 3 275 / 45 / 20 as well .

P.S. Hi neon,
Got your message but cannot respond because I'm new to forum. Glad to hear that you're enjoying less noise.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 08:54   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Just be careful if you have a T8.

The T8 has very big front disks and so I would be surprised if 18in wheels would fit over these disks. This is why there is only one style of 19in alloy which will fit on the T8, as the other style doesn't have the internal clearance.

Also, irrespective of there being nowhere to store it in the boot, there isn't a spacesaver spare supplied by Volvo which fits over the front disks. This was a learning point for my dealer as I ordered a spare to be loose in the boot and after many attempts the best I could get is one that fits the back only.

I would think that 18s will not fit but would be happy to be proved wrong.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 09:59   #6
Marley Don

Mmm, what to do... My 20'' Conti's will need replacing in the nest month or so, I reckon I have a few mills left, and have done 10.5K miles, disappointing they need replacing so soon, but I bought the car as a demo in Feb with 2K miles, and it had been registered in July 2015 so not sure how it was driven as a demo.

In terms of tyre replacement I'm really in two minds whether to:

1. Get a set of winter tyres, run these through the winter and then take them off in Spring and replace with summer tyres, put the winters away in the garage

pro's - more grip in winter, safer etc
Con's - more expense short term to buy two sets of tyres, will the winter tyres be noisier and less economical than the Conti's - surely not?? Grief from wife for putting them in the garage.

2. Get a set of all season tyres now and just leave them on - best or worst of both worlds?

3. Just get a another set of summer tyres and chance it we'll have no snow for the 2nd year running
Marley Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 12:34   #7
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley Don View Post
Mmm, what to do... My 20'' Conti's will need replacing in the nest month or so, I reckon I have a few mills left, and have done 10.5K miles, disappointing they need replacing so soon, but I bought the car as a demo in Feb with 2K miles, and it had been registered in July 2015 so not sure how it was driven as a demo.

1. Get a set of winter tyres, run these through the winter and then take them off in Spring and replace with summer tyres, put the winters away in the garage

Con's - more expense short term to buy two sets of tyres, will the winter tyres be noisier and less economical than the Conti's - surely not?? Grief from wife for putting them in the garage.

2. Get a set of all season tyres now and just leave them on - best or worst of both worlds?

3. Just get a another set of summer tyres and chance it we'll have no snow for the 2nd year running
Not an unusual set of choices, only you can make that decision. I made the decision years ago to have a winter and summer set. I was driving, though a rear wheel drive, automatic Mercedes which are absolutely rubbish at the slightest sign of snow. Worth noting also though, winter tyres are not just good for snow when the temp gets below 7C.

This will be my first car with a spare set of wheels for winter rather than just tyres.

Last edited by neon; Oct 4th, 2016 at 12:39.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 13:25   #8
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley Don View Post

My dealer stores my tyres for free and charges 60 to swap so no garage hogging. They said they would do swapping for free if I bought full wheel set from them - I am sure you can get the same from yours.
All season are not best of both worlds but worst of both worlds. They fare worse than average for both winter and summer applications, but they are better than having summers in winter. I just went for winters that excel in the wet which is most of my winter and swap them so I do not get downgraded look half of the year.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote